Index finger enhancements coming off

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shazapoppy

Reaction score
Hi

I have ironed out most of my lifting issues but I am finding that my clients can come in with no lifting or chips etc on all other fingers but the index and sometimes the middle finger are damaged or come off after 7-14 days(the rest are perfect) this is on gel and l&p.

I know it would be the finger they are using the most but it ruins the whole set.

Do you have any hints or tips as to what I could be doing wrong or how I can (reinforce the nails that get more abuse).

Thanks x

You can simply make them a little thicker or you can make them shorter or you can advise you clients to pay some care and attention of those nails when doing things.

If certain clients are persistent offenders with certain fingers then you have to change the prescription for those fingers and make a note on your CRC's.

On my CRC's I make a note of every break and the finger it is on and then you will soon see a pattern forming if there is one. CRC's are filled in at each and every appointment for every single client ALWAYS. It takes 2 seconds and the info is invaluable.

Hi Geeg thanks for your reply, I do keep client record cards, so must keep a note to see if there is a pattern and find out exactly how long they last before the enhancement breaks/ comes off that particular finger.

Can I ask you what you mean by changing the prescription?
Thanks😄

Hi Geeg thanks for your reply, I do keep client record cards, so must keep a note to see if there is a pattern and find out exactly how long they last before the enhancement breaks/ comes off that particular finger.

Can I ask you what you mean by changing the prescription?
Thanks��

The prescription is what we give the client after a 'diagnosis'of their nails, the condition of them, their skin type, their own fashion preference, their life style ... All the things we learn about during the consultation (that is what a client consultation is for, to find out these things).

After that we prescribe the right service for them. Manicure, Shellac, enhancements, correct length, tip, sculpt, gel, L&P, wraps , structure etc. The prescription should be different and customised for every individual client ..... At least that is how I have always worked! Isn't that what nail technology is all about? It's not about banging the same thing on everyone which is why I can't fathom how anyone only offers only one choice to their clients !!

So if your original prescription is not working for your client then you have to change it. Change the length, the thickness, the overlay choice ... Something has to change or if you are getting breakages, you will just be getting more of them if you do the same thing. HTH

Last edited:
Yes that really does help, thanks for explaining, I've been doing enhancements for just over a year, gel, l&p and gel polish, mastering them ( if I ever do lol) is one thing, but you've just hit the nail on the head, it's gaining the experience on what works best for who, being able to advise my clients and in this case fix what isn't working in a particular instance.
I should get there in say oh the next ten years.
There is much to learn but I want to be a professional, knowledgeable tech who produces beautiful nails - that last..like some I could mention.x

Latest posts

Back