Indian head massage advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoshilee

Reaction score
Hello, I am thinking about training for 2021 and Indian Head Massage is one of the options I am thinking of. I currently offer different types of massage and holistic facial. My thinking is that it will fit nicely with the treatments I offer and will be an option for the client who would like to try massage but does not want to undress. For those of you who currently offer Indian Head Massage, is this a popular treatment? I am only 5ft tall, do you think this will be a problem if I have a tall client? I am thinking about training with Gateway and their course is taught with a client sitting in a regular chair (not seated massage chair) thank you for your help.

I don't want to put you off doing the course because I am not a big fan of seated IHM myself. My head massage is not the full IHM that I trained for at college.....it's been adapted to suit me. Mine is done during a facial and is not a stand alone treatment anymore.

I would do a little market research with your existing clients and see if they are interested. You will need case study clients which then could give you an indication of interest.

At 5 feet tall a regular chair will be uncomfortable if you do have tall clients in for a treatment. You will need a height adjustable client chair for truly great posture. HOF do very good client/therapist chairs. They last for years!

If the problem is restricted to the Gateway workshops situation, I think I would ask if they would mind you bringing your own height adjustable seat- maybe something like a saddle stool so its less bulky for you to take with you.

Hope that helps

I don't want to put you off doing the course because I am not a big fan of seated IHM myself. My head massage is not the full IHM that I trained for at college.....it's been adapted to suit me. Mine is done during a facial and is not a stand alone treatment anymore.

I would do a little market research with your existing clients and see if they are interested. You will need case study clients which then could give you an indication of interest.

At 5 feet tall a regular chair will be uncomfortable if you do have tall clients in for a treatment. You will need a height adjustable client chair for truly great posture. HOF do very good client/therapist chairs. They last for years!

If the problem is restricted to the Gateway workshops situation, I think I would ask if they would mind you bringing your own height adjustable seat- maybe something like a saddle stool so its less bulky for you to take with you.

Hope that helps
Thanks for your reply. The height situation does worry me a bit. I have a height adjustable couch which isn't an issue as clients are laid down. But with a chair if I lower it because a client is tall, I worry it will be uncomfortable for them sitting in that position for 30-45 minutes.

I will definitely start asking existing clients what they think about IHM before I think about booking onto a course. Thanks for your advice x

I offer IHM but don’t do a lot of them. I decided to do mine with the client lying on my massage couch. As a client myself, I prefer an IHM when lying down...way more relaxing & as a therapist, not constantly trying to hold the clients head up when trying to massage.
I do massage the face in my treatment so let them know that they will need to turn over, but if they prefer to just do the upper back, shoulders & Scalp I will lay them on their front.
Hope that helps x

I use both a comfy chair and also incorporate ihm into a facial and also a full body massage. It’s a great treatment and is easy to adapt.

Hi, i do mine with the client lying down face up, i make sure under the knees is supported and i incorporate face massage, shoulder and neck all while led down, its a popular treatment in my spa, its also more comfortable for us therapists

Like everyone else I have adapted my Indian head massage as i found most of my clients didn't like being sat up. I have my clients lying face up but not completely flat with knees supported and massage face,shoulders, neck,scalp and shoulders. I now call it a shoulder,neck and scalp massage on my price list and have had more bookings for it since I did.

I’m an Indian Head Massage therapist and I can treat with a client sitting comfortably in a normal chair. My training was several weekends and 25 case studies. I’m 5’8 and I’d probably be more comfortable working around the bra strap area if I was shorter. My husband is 6’5” and I don’t have any issues treating him.

I also have an on site chair and I don’t think I’d use it for Indian Head massage. Before I did the “proper” training I did Indian head massage “Spa” style with the clients lying on a couch. Clients loved it.

Either way it’s a slow seller on its own, but the techniques are a great addition to your portfolio of skills. I use a lot of the techniques in a “relaxation” treatment which is basically a mini facial and Indian Head massage done on a couch and run together as a seamless experience. I charge £75 and it takes me 50 minutes.

Latest posts

Back