Indian Head Massage Dilemma?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Layla-Louise

Reaction score
Hi there everyone ive got a client booked in for tuesday evening for an indian head massage & its the first time shes been to my salon so i want to make the treatment as enjoyable and relaxing as can be. The only problem is the routine i use for indian head massage is the one i was taught at college in a seated position using a chair with a low back as i'd start the treatment with a lower back/shoulder massage, then work onto the neck and scalp area finishing off with a pressure point facial massage.
However although i prefer doing this type of massage on a chair as its what im use to because im 5"11 i find it hard to bend down using an ordinary style and would love to customize it using a beauty couch.
Also ive had clients that ive come to me from previous salons and said that it would be far more relaxing if they was on a couch rather than a chair even though i do use the flat of my hand onto their forehead to suport their head during the treatment.
The only chairs i have in my salon is dining style chairs which is what i have in the waiting area and treatment room with a high back its ideal for me to use but because i wont be able to get to their back the only way i could do it is if i get them to sit round the other way so their legs are wraped around the back of the chair i've try it and think its uncomfortable but do you think its unsuitable to do this?
How does anyone do it?
i do have an electric couch if anyone can help me on massage movements and how i can adapt my routine then that would be much apreciated, as i only know the massage movments that ive been taught to do
thankyou xxxx

Hi

Has your electric couch got a low back and a high back at either end that you can raise? If so sit the client at the low end then shoulders and neck sould be free to work on.

I hoep this makes sence

I do a head neck and shoulder massage with the client lying down face up.

I work under the shoulders with oil using the massage I would use for a facial. I then work on the side of their shoulders and neck turning their head one way then the other to really get in there!

I then wipe my hands clean and stroke up the neck and behind the ears to the top of their head and then massage their head from the top. Pressure points, shampooing, holding and moving, overlapping thumbs in circles.

Then when I have done all I can on the head from the top I put both hands under, pick their head up and turn it one way to massage the back on one side, keeping one hand under their head for support all the time and working with the other, shampooing movements, pressure points around occipital and stroking the neck. Then I turn it the other way and repeat. To end you can do some facial pressure points and stroking and then finish by taking the weight of the head in both hands and slowly pulling your hands out towards yourself. It makes the head feel weightless for the client.

:hug:

go to a shop and buy a padded fold up chair - you can get one for about a tenner.

kneel to do the back section.

I have always done the treatment with a chair.

If this is your first time doing a treatment and you want it to be enjoyable, then why are you trying to do something that u haven't done before? You will be so busy worrying about doing something new that you won't be able to concentrate on doing a really good treatment.

IHM is traditionally done seated. If someone wants a back massage, get them to book a back massage.

i have done indian head massage before many times but all on a chair but the problem is with me being quite tall it isnt good for my posture either theirs so much bending you can do.
my end of my electric couch is for the head the other end is to raise the feet

We have one of the massage chairs which you lean into. It has a few different settings for height of seat and headrest which could be useful to you if you are going to be doing many of these in the future.

When I was pregnant I used to have a back massage sitting up and the therapist would sit me on a beauty stool and raise the electric bed, and put a few pillows on it that i leant onto - it was very comfy! That could work quite well for you, if you have a stool that would go fairly high? :hug:

I usually do Indian head massage with my client sitting but sometimes I have found that people prefer to be on the couch.
I start with them laying on their front, I then do their upper back, shoulders, upper arms, neck and back and top of head. I then get them to turn over and do more to top of head, forehead, face and ears. I use pretty much all the same movements as I usually do and pressure points, just they are on the couch instead of sitting. I know its not how its done traditionally, but quite a few people prefer it, so I've adapted it to suit a different position.

Today i had a model and i tried doing Indian head massage on my couch and actually it worked out better than i thought my client was completely relaxed and throughly enjoyed the treatment i did it lying on the couch in a seated position so i had the head rest part up during the treatment and the client could have the rest of her body lying on the couch with legs stretched out.
However i found it easier to have a pillow placed onto the lower back as it means the client is leaning slighly forward making it easier to get to the back and shoulder area and i could also massage the neck and scalp this way too.
I then placed and bolster underneath the clients neck to do a scalp massage much better than the chair and means i dont have to worry about pushing my couch to one side when i do the treatment or my posture because i can put the height of the couch up too
i guess you dont know untill you try these things thankyou everyone for your response

awww one more quick question which oil would you all say is best for the scalp or to use during the treatment as i dont have coconut oil cant find it anywhere i do have peach kernel though or just ordinary oil

Latest posts

Back