Inexperienced at using nail drill. Help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Babygurl02020

Reaction score
I started at a new nail salon that is super busy but the money is amazing. Literally the best I’ve ever made doing nails. But they literally want me to be able to do all services within a half hour. I have gotten my time down on pedicures to a half hour but not with the gel manicures. I’ve always had a hard time getting the gel polish off and they wanted me to start using the drill to get the first layer off before soaking. The drill is hard to get a good speed with the foot pedal. It cramps my foot because I’m trying so hard not to have it on too fast. I don’t do acrylics so I have no experience and have no idea how to really use one properly. Any tips on using the drill and being more efficient for gel manicures would be appreciated. I get stressed when I have to take off gel polish. Thank you !

Kind of sounds like the salon you have started working for thinks in a 'quantity over quality' kind of way.... Don't let your education slip and bad habits develop. I would suggest you find an e-file educator close by that can teach you properly. A lot of damage can be done to the natural nail with an e-file in inexperienced hands. A foot pedal is hard for a beginner, and normally if it has a foot pedal option, it WILL have a manual option for you - much safer in the hands of a beginner - ONCE you're qualified! They shouldn't be handing you one to use knowing you are not qualified in it.

You can be just as quick filing/buffing the top coat off with a hand file.... and there's really no way to rush the removal of gel polish other than a heat pack beneath their hands as their fingers soak in the wraps which will help, slightly.

Take all your new found $$$ and invest in some further upskill training :)

You need correct and official training before using an e file . Your insurance would not be valid should you need to make a claim and they found you did not have this

1/2 hour is silly time and as above seems they value quantity over qualty . You need to ask yourself if this is the kind of salon you want to be working in :-(
x

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back