Infected ingrown toenail-can't get a Dr. apt. for 2 weeks advice please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dolled up

Reaction score
Hi geeks! I know it sounds rank but im 99% sure ive got an infection in my ingrown toenail ): im naughty and I pick my nails down to stop the pain and this time I took abit of skin off too by accident and now its killing me! My doca are fully booked for the next 2 weeks so unless they have a cancellation im buggered. I was aware it was an infection on sat morning when it woke me up at 6am throbbing so I did a bowl of salt water and put my foot in it for 30 mins, then dried it and put savlon on and covered it with plasters and ive done this several times since. Its not as painful as it was but it still hurts to walk. Has anyone got any home remedies that could help? Does my routine sound ok that im doing? Xx

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek

I cant offer any advice, do you have a walk in centre in your area that you could go to?

Good luck.

I would pop to the chemist or try and get an out of hours doctor appt. If all else fails a&e at the hospital. You can't walk around like that got 2 weeks xx

Ill have a google and see if theres a walk in docs. All the emergency appointments have already been taken up today ): also I haven't got time today to sit up a&e for four hours and I wouldnt want to trouble them just for my toe! Xx

The doctors are obliged to see you within 24hrs, 48 at the most I believe. If you google the NHS guidelines on their website clarify this xxx

Thank you ill have a look now x x

As someone who suffered with this as a kid, you are doing the right thing. If you can get Epsom salts, that's good for soaking.

I had an op on both big toes where they took out the sides of the nail and then killed the nail bed (I was 11/12, so this may not be totally accurate) and I've never had problems since.

Just don't let the doctors take off the entire toenail. They did this to me the first time I had one and it just grew back ingrown.

As someone who suffered with this as a kid, you are doing the right thing. If you can get Epsom salts, that's good for soaking.

I had an op on both big toes where they took out the sides of the nail and then killed the nail bed (I was 11/12, so this may not be totally accurate) and I've never had problems since.

Just don't let the doctors take off the entire toenail. They did this to me the first time I had one and it just grew back ingrown.

Ive had this problem since I was 12/13. Ive already had surgery on the one side of one toe but couldn't have the other 3 sides done as im kind of resistant to anaesthetic :/ had 7 injections into the one side and still felt everything! And my doc said i couldnt have anymore as 7 is the daily limit. I sceamed the doctors down haha but because of my traumatic experience ibe put it off for the last 3/4 years as I dont want to go through that again and my docs are very unlikely to refer me to hopsital and im scared that the anesthetic they use to knock me out wont work and ill still feel everything again. This is the last straw for me now tho and im going to ask if I can be sedated aswell as having anesthetic so I can finally have normal toenails!

You could try putting magnesium sulphate paste (from the chemist )on it and wrapping it up,it helps to draw out the puss and bacteria.
You could also pay to see a podiatrist who maybe able to help you.
Every doctors always keep appointments free for emergencys if you are in a lot of pain and have an obvious infection I'd say you deserve to be seen.
This is why so many people are going to casualty at the moment.

Ive had this problem since I was 12/13. Ive already had surgery on the one side of one toe but couldn't have the other 3 sides done as im kind of resistant to anaesthetic :/ had 7 injections into the one side and still felt everything! And my doc said i couldnt have anymore as 7 is the daily limit. I sceamed the doctors down haha but because of my traumatic experience ibe put it off for the last 3/4 years as I dont want to go through that again and my docs are very unlikely to refer me to hopsital and im scared that the anesthetic they use to knock me out wont work and ill still feel everything again. This is the last straw for me now tho and im going to ask if I can be sedated aswell as having anesthetic so I can finally have normal toenails!

oh gosh, sorry this is awful!! I hope your doc can come up with a solution for you. Are you resistant to general anaesthetic too or just local (I know it sucks to be knocked out just for a toenail but better that than you feel it!!)

Edit: sorry that's probably a dumb question, just wasn't sure.

oh gosh, sorry this is awful!! I hope your doc can come up with a solution for you. Are you resistant to general anaesthetic too or just local (I know it sucks to be knocked out just for a toenail but better that than you feel it!!)

Edit: sorry that's probably a dumb question, just wasn't sure.

Ive never been to hospital so I dont know if im resistant to general :/ my docs wouldnt send me anyway they are useless! Xx

If you need to see your Dr then you need to see them and them saying they are booked solid for 2 weeks is unrealistic. They can't book out all the appointments in advance, they MUST have appointments available for those who become ill and need an appiontment so don't allow them to fob you off.

If your Drs are so useless why don't you change surgery. Nobody would expect anyone to be in pain and struggle walking about for 2 weeks.

Ive never been to hospital so I dont know if im resistant to general :/ my docs wouldnt send me anyway they are useless! Xx

Yeah I know that frustration. I had 3 years of gallstones, all the while they were telling me it was acid reflux, before I couldn't take it anymore and the doc finally sent me for a scan. You sometimes just have to be really pushy to get a referral.

In fact in the end, after ending up in A&E I had to take my mum in with me because I was a gibbering wreck and she was mean to the doc for me! hahaha.

But Baggybear is right, they must have appointments, you just have to tell them when you call it's an emergency. You don't have to tell the receptionist what's wrong.

Update- managed to get an appointment yday after calling all day asking for an emergency appointment I finally snapped and told them why I needed it. Baggybear- I would change but my personal doc isnt so bad but I can never get an apt with him hes always fully booked for at least 4 weeks.

The doc I saw was the same one that told me,when I was 15, that I didnt have ingrown toenails when i clearly did. She has done me a delayed prescription of antibiotics and told me that whatever im doing now is working which is fine with me as us ladies know what can happen when we take antibiotics and I dont want another problem to fix! Ive managed to make an apt with my personal doc next month to ask if I can be referred to a podiatrist at the hosp as I cant be sedated at the surgery. The doc I saw yesterday told me my toenails weren't bad (trust me they are!!) So wouldn't refer me grrr! Xx

Latest posts

Back