Infected nail

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiptops

Reaction score
Please can someone experienced advise me on how to approach this please. I have a client who bites her nails and has an infection in one of her fingers. I go to do her pedicure, but she persists that I apply acrylics to her nails, as she is going somewhere special. She states that she will take full responsibility if her nail falls off. As a newly qualified tec, I feel I should be more firm and think about the consequences. Is it actually law that tecs are forbidden to apply acrylics over a damaged or infected nail plate/bed?

I have posted pic below. I am trying to find the words to say to the client, why I am not going to do the treatment.
I advised her to go to the doctors asap.
Any advice is appreciated guys x ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1407367334.680479.jpg

I definitely would tell the client that it would be best to wait until her physician says it is safe to do the service.
Even if she were to sign a paper stating she is the one responsible most places will still place blame on the technician since they are the professional.

I would refuse the service it's not worth the risk.

After looking at the photo you have posted, I would absolutely refuse. Nicely ofcourse😊. It baffles me that someone would be willing to damage their nails even further for the sake of vanity....good luck, and believe in your self:)))

If you feel uncomfortable saying no because you don't want to, why not do the insurance blag?

i.e. 'I'm really sorry, although I think it's best not to carry out the treatment, as the last thing I want to do is aggregate the situation further - I'm really not sure if my insurance would cover me of anything happened anyway - even if I was comfortable carrying it out'

her - 'it's ok, if anything happened I wouldn't sue coz I've said it's ok'

you - 'I'd never forgive myself if I made matters worse. I'm more than happy to make them pretty once they are all better, but I really want you nail to be ok first'

ha - even did a little role play for you, pmsl :o

Also explain about cross contamination with your brushes etc.
I know I wouldn't feel right then using my tools and products on another client after doing an infected nail no matter how much i sterilised them X

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

:up::up::up::up: good point :up::up:

Please can someone experienced advise me on how to approach this please. I have a client who bites her nails and has an infection in one of her fingers. I go to do her pedicure, but she persists that I apply acrylics to her nails, as she is going somewhere special. She states that she will take full responsibility if her nail falls off. As a newly qualified tec, I feel I should be more firm and think about the consequences. Is it actually law that tecs are forbidden to apply acrylics over a damaged or infected nail plate/bed?

I have posted pic below. I am trying to find the words to say to the client, why I am not going to do the treatment.
I advised her to go to the doctors asap.
Any advice is appreciated guys xView attachment 72150

Thanks everyone, really helpful advice. X

You're obviously saying something to her when she brings this up, but it seems like she is trying to wear you down. I would continue to state the facts that it is your professional judgement that it is not appropriate for you to perform the service on her nails.

It's not for her to 'take responsibility' for anything that may happen, it is for you to use your knowledge that you have acquired and use it professionally, which is what you are trying to do. Next time you see her continue to be firm and just repeat yourself if necessary. It's not going to happen with you, so she will have to accept it in the end.

You're obviously saying something to her when she brings this up, but it seems like she is trying to wear you down. I would continue to state the facts that it is your professional judgement that it is not appropriate for you to perform the service on her nails.

It's not for her to 'take responsibility' for anything that may happen, it is for you to use your knowledge that you have acquired and use it professionally, which is what you are trying to do. Next time you see her continue to be firm and just repeat yourself if necessary. It's not going to happen with you, so she will have to accept it in the end.

Thank you. The problem is that I do friends of hers and I do them in her house. I will have to just be firmer than what I have been 😚 x

I've just done a search to find this thread & I would just stick to your guns as the Other geeky peeps post! The thing is although putting extensions on for a "special occasion" is what she wants,if you give in she will probably want to keep them on! Go with your instinct be firm, I would just keep saying it's not advisable that you should put anything on yours nails until you have seen your doctor.
Don't feel pressured, a "friend" of mine, once wanted me to apply a set of nails to her weak badly damaged nails (after she picked off the hundredth set I had done for her) I said no, she got stroppy, and I said to her that did she not respect my professional opinion at all? & that any professional nail tech would not touch her either! I could've made more money out of her but then I wouldn't be doing my job properly would I!? I said well that's my decision I'm afraid, obviously offered her alternatives, she didn't want them. So I packed up my stuff, walked out & haven't seen her since (that was 10 years ago!!!) be confident, don't let her wear you down, hopefully she will respect you for it in the long run! Xx

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

Just need to be firm with her.
I had a client want an acrylic on her big toe because it was infected.she had it done in Turkey and loved it but can't find anyone here that would do it. She even offered to but all her own brushes and acrylic my answer was still no.she left the shop in a huffy mood but I smiled as I knew I had done the right thing
Stick to what you know your the expect don't be pressured into anything that's no right

Xx

When's the wedding? She may have time to go to the doctors and get prescribed something for the infection. Until she gets an appointment I would recommend she soaks her finger in some warm salty water a few times a day to help.
Until the infection is cleared up, she is contraindicated for nail enhancements.

Latest posts

Back