Infill with hand file!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoe29xxx

Reaction score
3hrs ..... 3hrs arghhhh how can that be!
I'm training at the min done quite a few full sets and been very pleased with my work which takes me around 2hrs ! I did my first infill last night at took be 3hrs! Problem is I have too use hand file too qualify in my course no e file allowed ! I also cut my client a couple of times trying too get too the lift! which has really knocked my confidence ( luckily she is my best friend) !
Do any of you geeks use a handful for Infills? I have bought a eBay e file but the bits are poor so I'm looking too get a safety but from young nails?
Anyone any advice though on hand filling for infill for time being x x
Thankyou in advance :)
Here are some full sets I've done ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1397374938.187656.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1397374968.102113.jpg
Here's my infill haven't took a pic of before n after but here's the picture I took when I first done the first set on my bestestImageUploadedBySalonGeek1397375203.833328.jpg
And here's the fill I used soft pink nsi for first time and not so keen on it too be honest !
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1397375314.742193.jpg

Should say I use reverse sculpted technique x

It all comes with practice. In the beginning it took me ages and yes I also cut a few times. It's all about the way you angle the file. Now 3 years on and my confidence has grown so much and my speed also. One of the reasons clients come to me is that I advertise that I do not use electronic files. (So many have been damaged etc by NSS) they love my hand filed natural methods.

How long does it take you now to do infill with hand file ? 1hr? X x

How long does it take you now to do infill with hand file ? 1hr? X x

It takes me 1hr-1hr 15mins depends on lifting etc however that it something I don't get very often either now.

Ok thankyou x

Have to say I hate infilling ! It's the one and only thing I don't really enjoy doing. It takes me 1-1/2 hrs x

Have to say I hate infilling ! It's the one and only thing I don't really enjoy doing. It takes me 1-1/2 hrs x

Do u use hand file Or e file x x

Do u use hand file Or e file x x

Hand file. Make sure you have some decent files not cheap ones, I find this makes a lot of difference. Your speed will come in time x

Hand file. Make sure you have some decent files not cheap ones, I find this makes a lot of difference. Your speed will come in time x

Thankyou I'm using nsi files x

Hand filing all the way! X

Thanks Elmo .. Not quite the answers I was hoping for looks like it's practice practice practice with my files ! What grit do you all use for in filling I vary between all three 180 150 100 x

Thanks Elmo .. Not quite the answers I was hoping for looks like it's practice practice practice with my files ! What grit do you all use for in filling I vary between all three 180 150 100 x

Defo a case of practise! Not sure if this is why you have cut her or not but use a high grit around the cuticle, it will minimise the risk of catching the skin. They look a bit sore. Worst mistake I've made is using a brand new 150 for an infill.... I cut the side of her finger when shaping and it bled and bled and bled!!!

Xxx

If you perfect your filing technique, you will cut down on your times. I usually "break" the file by softening the edge with an old file so that I cant do any damage to the skin should I catch it. I find it better to change files often, they need to have some grit on them to work. I don't do infills, but I have filed down a lot of acrylic lately from new clients that want to give the NSS salons a miss.

I use a 100 grit file for Infills. I also soften the edges of my new files with a old one. Takes me about an hour to Infill.

It's all about your angle, I'm confident I won't cut anyone.

It's all about getting your product right as well, so minimal filing.

Laura xx

If you perfect your filing technique, you will cut down on your times. I usually "break" the file by softening the edge with an old file so that I cant do any damage to the skin should I catch it. I find it better to change files often, they need to have some grit on them to work. I don't do infills, but I have filed down a lot of acrylic lately from new clients that want to give the NSS salons a miss.
Thankyou for your Replys ... I must admit the nails I infilled were one of the 1st sets i did .. They had quite a bit of lift so was terrible too file n get the lift out ! I felt so bad cutting her luckily though like I said she's a best friend so she just laughed it off n said it's ok ... I on the other hand was mad at myself !

When you say you don't infill, what do you do? Soak off n new set ?
I want too offer Infills as I thought this was standard practice for a nail tech x

I use a 100 grit file for Infills. I also soften the edges of my new files with a old one. Takes me about an hour to Infill.

It's all about your angle, I'm confident I won't cut anyone.

It's all about getting your product right as well, so minimal filing.

Laura xx

Thankyou Laura I will try just using 100 , I think it is my angle too as I didn't think I was anywhere near her skin couldn't understand why it was bleeding ! Grrr so frustrating especially when I was on a confidence boost after finally getting the grip with full sets and always being happy ... I came away from these Infills feeling upset n frustrated x

When you say you don't infill, what do you do? Soak off n new set ?
I want too offer Infills as I thought this was standard practice for a nail tech x

Sorry, I meant that I do mainly gel manicures. People prefer to go to the NSS salons for extensions and I cant compete on time (or price) with those in this area. Shame because I love to sculpt nails, but I work with gel, not L&P.

Sorry, I meant that I do mainly gel manicures. People prefer to go to the NSS salons for extensions and I cant compete on time (or price) with those in this area. Shame because I love to sculpt nails, but I work with gel, not L&P.

Awww ok thankyou x

Thankyou Laura I will try just using 100 , I think it is my angle too as I didn't think I was anywhere near her skin couldn't understand why it was bleeding ! Grrr so frustrating especially when I was on a confidence boost after finally getting the grip with full sets and always being happy ... I came away from these Infills feeling upset n frustrated x

It just takes practise! And lots of it. Concentrate on your technique, try and get your nails perfect every time, and time will speed up as you get more confident.

Also try breaking things down.
So for a full set of French tips for example:
• 10 mins prep (cuticles, file, dehydrator of choice etc)
• 10 mins tip application (that's 1 minute per tip, easy done once you know your sizes and don't have to keep swapping)
• 20 mins product application
• 20 mins finishing (buff in, tidy up shape, buff to shine/ apply top coat)

Infill:
• 20 mins filing in / remove any lifting / re shape. Don't move onto the next nail until you happy with the previous.
• 20 mins product application
• 20 mins finishing

Work in these sections rather as a whole, work on your timings on each section. It's much easier to get your time down that way.

Laura xx

Latest posts

Back