Infills on MMA

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Carole Lindsay

Reaction score
I know this has probably been covered before but this is my first time :o .
I've just had a client book with me to have infills (tonight!!!) and she's had them done previously at the local NSS using MMA. Is it okay for me to do the usual infills/rebalance with my products?

Hi Carole,

I don't think that you should do infills on new customers since you can't really be sure exactly what products were used. I would normally do a soak-off and apply a new set.

As far as MMA is concerned, I think it is extremely difficult to soak off nails when MMA has been used and I think you should examine the nails and give her some advise (i.e. it may be best that she lets them grow out). In any event, if you do give her any treatment, make sure a client card is completed and she signs a disclaimer.

Let me know how you get on. Good luck!

I think you have to wait and judge each situation individually. If her nails have been damaged by the NSS in the way they have prepped the nail then you could end up doing more damage by removing them.

I would suggest that you wait and see - if the nails are all on securely and no signs of lifting then do your rebalance as normal. If however there is lots of lifting and signs of potential problems then remove and redo.

I am sorry but I feel some nail technicians will remove sets done elsewhere just for the sake of getting a full set price rather than a rebalance price when there does not appear to be a good reason for it- sorry.

I would however explain to the client that you cannot guarantee the nails as you do not know the circumstances of the initial set - if the client then says she would prefer them taken off and redone then I would oblige.

Hun - if they do need removing I beleive it might take a bit longer to soak, thats if the Monomer used was MMA (ask the client how she knew this) maybe you could ask the salon to send you their MSDS to you?

My only concern with doing an infill with a different type of L&P would be the tone of the pink and whites not matching!, if so she will have to have a polish on!

Hope this helps, let us all know the outcome

Fab Freak said:
Hun - if they do need removing I beleive it might take a bit longer to soak, thats if the Monomer used was MMA (ask the client how she knew this) maybe you could ask the salon to send you their MSDS to you?

My only concern with doing an infill with a different type of L&P would be the tone of the pink and whites not matching!, if so she will have to have a polish on!

Hope this helps, let us all know the outcome
Oh dear, i have no idea whether she has pink & whites or not - didnt think to ask (she was wearing polish). The client didnt use the expresssion MMA to me, I just made an assumption coz she said they use drills where she's had them done up to now. Do you think if i call the client for more info it will make me look unprofessional and inexperienced?

Carole Lindsay said:
Oh dear, i have no idea whether she has pink & whites or not - didnt think to ask (she was wearing polish). The client didnt use the expresssion MMA to me, I just made an assumption coz she said they use drills where she's had them done up to now. Do you think if i call the client for more info it will make me look unprofessional and inexperienced?

You could just call her to confirm the appointment for this evening (if its not to close to the appointment - and casually as if she has the perm french look at the moment - i.e. ohh just remind me blah blah if you know what I mean.

Plus remember just because they used drills dont mean its MMA a lot of people do use them who are trained and have a cert - so dont worry prematurely...relax you'll be fine

Carole personally I wouldn't infill anyone elses work...I always do a removal and then depending on the conditon of the natural nails a new set ...that way you can see clearly if there is any damage done by the previous technician and you know for sure you are not infilling with a different product than they have already(v important)...also I have a lot of pride in my own work and wouldn't want to follow someone elses when you don't know if everything was sanitised properly etc etc. These are my personal opinions and I know many people do differently! Also I have seen many technicians use a drill and this does not necessarily mean MMA. Hope this helps and all the best with your new client :)

I agree with Tracy in that I wouldn't infill someone else's work more because the beauty of the final nail may be affected - not because I would possibly earn more. However, as Fiona advises, look at each case individually.

nope it definately has nothing to do with the money in my case either i.e yes it would work out more expensive for the client than just a rebalance...but afterall the client can chose whether she comes to me or not after i have explained my reasons

TracyUK said:
also to add... infilling with a different product isn't recommended by many because of the chemical reactions which take place...for instance a liquid and powder system is designed to work together safely and effectively. I think there is a post by Sam about this (sorry I don't know in which thread)and Geeg would give you good advice :)
hate to say this but you're wrong on this score! i did a search on MMA rebalancing and both The Grand Master and Geeg say once a product is dry you can use another product on it. What you cant do is mix a monomer and powder of different makes. Hope that clarifies it for you, it did for me ;)

really! wow then I was told wrong but I guess it could make sense thinking about it..so once polymerisation is complete it must be unaffected by the addition of more liquid and powder...but then how does it blend so well as in a rebalance? can u tell me where the posts are as i did a search and couldnt find them thanks :) yep i defo agree you shouldn't mix one company's powder with another company's liquid!

TracyUK said:
really! wow then I was told wrong but I guess it could make sense thinking about it..so once polymerisation is complete it must be unaffected by the addition of more liquid and powder...but then how does it blend so well as in a rebalance? can u tell me where the posts are as i did a search and couldnt find them thanks :) yep i defo agree you shouldn't mix one company's powder with another company's liquid!

You can rebalance over any product with another product ... as all products are acrylic based, they will bond to each other no plrblem ...what you cannot guarantee is that the result will be as beautiful as if the set were removed and redone. Some clients will sacrfice beauty for the saving in cost and just wear an enamel colour to cover up any imprfections.

You'll all be pleased to know that all's well that ends well! I got the client to sign saying she would hold me responsible for previous product etc. etc. and she was fine about that. There was minimal lift although it must have been MMA judging by how hard i had to work to file it down!! The client was happy and i'll be doing her infills/rebalance on a regular basis so it should get easier with my products ;) .

hi Carole, glad you got on alright as i know you were really worried. you see you had nothing to worry about.:D

talented talons said:
hi Carole, glad you got on alright as i know you were really worried. you see you had nothing to worry about.:D
i'll be happy when the client doesnt call me and say they've all fallen off or lifted!!! mind you i'm always the same with a new client, even my beloved fibreglass, but this is much much worse! if necessary i'll blame it on the fact that it was going over another product ;) !!

glad all went well carole :) I deleted the post re mixing products as I didn't want to leave inaccurate info on here...thanks for your post geeg ...I guess the company who told me never to add one to another in rebalance didn't want to lose a good customer...as it was I left them anyway lol

Tracy you are up very early today!

Carole - I'm glad it all went successfully and that you have another happy customer to add to your client base.

hey hun, i am really glad it went well, no doubt she will be one of your most loyal customers,

always am up early lately...busy busy busy :) nice to sit and read some nails info with my tea and toast lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back