Infills / rebalance help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FayeElizabeth89

Nail Technician in Training
Reaction score
Hey all.

I'm currently in training and I'm using the edge acrylic system.
I've been using it since starting and I've always thought of it as a substandard system, BUT, that said, like most newbies, I've not really used anything else to compare it too.
(Except that one time I used Ezflow HD for 3 random practice nails. And that one time I tried nsi attractions.)

What I'm continually struggling with is the lifting, which I know from reading threads on here is a very common complaint when it comes to the edge.

I've managed to reduce the amount of lifting that happens by using the young nails protein bond. It has helped to make them last a little longer.

What I find still though, is that when it comes to infills/rebalances there will always be some lifting around the cuticle area. And as I work across that area, more lifting occurs.
I've spoken to my tutor who advised I changed the angle of my file, which I did, and it didn't really change anything. I still managed to make the lifting travel.

What I find most difficult though, is actually filing the product away. It's not so bad on first application, I can shape it fine and they look okay. But, with an infill, I just find it incredibly hard to file away the product. I don't know why exactly, I don't change my the brand of files I use, I don't alter my methods, or the way I would handle a file in any other given situation.

But it's so hard! And I've often found that it's far easier, and quicker, to just soak off the nails instead of doing an infill or a rebalance.

I've not yet managed to pass an infill/rebalance assessment because I ALWAYS run over time. Despite being assessed and passed on everything else.

I've tried in vein to stop the lift from travelling as I file. And I've tried using lower grit files, and even higher grit files, but I still find it happening.

So, I know this post is totally long winded but I just want to know if any other nail techs have come across this with the edge (Maybe even a different system) and how you found a solution, or IF you found a solution? Or even if you do have any other tips to help?

I've asked my tutor again and again on this and she just says that the edge isn't a very good system and we just need to make it work.

I feel so stuck. So any advice would be welcome and taken on board!

So sorry for the long post!! Xxx

File behind the lifting to remove it otherwise it will keep travelling.

I get this a lot doing my own nails as I seem to be unable to file correctly doing my own. But as ciderella said, you need to file off the lifted part by filing on good product just behind it, to create a little groove down to the nail. Then the lifted product will just fall off.

Filing incorrectly won't successfully remove lifted product no matter what L&P system you use, and switching or applying bonder won't help you there.

Best of luck!

File behind the lifting to remove it otherwise it will keep travelling.
Thank you!

When you say behind the lifting, do you mean to file it from the cuticle down or in the side that faces the free edge?

I get this a lot doing my own nails as I seem to be unable to file correctly doing my own. But as ciderella said, you need to file off the lifted part by filing on good product just behind it, to create a little groove down to the nail. Then the lifted product will just fall off.

Filing incorrectly won't successfully remove lifted product no matter what L&P system you use, and switching or applying bonder won't help you there.

Best of luck!

Thanks!
I'll try filing differently!

I'd check your prep and your ratio to try and avoid the lifting in the first place. An infill with no lifting is so quick and easy and more satisfying for you and any client :)

I'd check your prep and your ratio to try and avoid the lifting in the first place. An infill with no lifting is so quick and easy and more satisfying for you and any client :)

I can only dream of achieving an infill that doesn't have ANY lifting lol.

Before adding the young nails protein bond to my prep, nails I was doing on myself were lasting 3 days before coming off. They were lifting within the first 24 hours.
My first set after using protein bond has so far lasted 5 days with a weeny bit of lifting around the cuticle area on my dominant hand that I applied using my non-dominant hand. Which feels like a AGE in comparison to what I was getting before. And the lifting is tiny in comparison too.

I understand the concept of ratio, I get it, but I don't really know how to achieve the correct ratio using my brush.
I have obviously developed a technique when it comes to application, but perhaps I'm still not quite hitting to correct ratio.

Any tips on how I can do that with my brush? I know the ratio is 2:1 but to do that and To know that I'm doing it is definitely an alien concept lol

Thanks for the advice though!

I agree with Blossom, prep and ratio comes with practice. It takes a while to feel confident with acrylic. Take as long as necessary on your prep.

Watch this video and then compare it to what you currently do.

I have regular clients who always have some lifting and others who never have any.

I agree with Blossom, prep and ratio comes with practice. It takes a while to feel confident with acrylic. Take as long as necessary on your prep.

Watch this video and then compare it to what you currently do.

I have regular clients who always have some lifting and others who never have any.

Thanks for sharing that video. It was really informative and I was really surprised by the difference between the nail after using the curette.

I always use cuticle remover and a cuticle pusher/knife anyway but that little tool really does make a whole lot of difference!

I'm was quite content with my prep, but that video has highlighted how easy it is to think you've done enough. I know being extra thorough can't do any harm, so i will deffo put a bit more time into my prep and see how effects the quality of my work. Or whether it has an effect on the lifting I seem to get a lot of.

Thanks for sharing that with me!

I qualified a bit over a month ago and I'm still practising and getting my head around it. I can do a beautiful nail and then the next is like a child applied it.

It's a hard skill to master which takes a lot of time. You're doing absolutely right trying to solve your problems and improving in the areas you're struggling with, just remember your tutor should be there to show you all of these things and explain them a thousand times, if that's what it takes! Nothing beats being shown what to do irl and something like product ratio for example is hard to get properly without someone actually there showing you.

I qualified a bit over a month ago and I'm still practising and getting my head around it. I can do a beautiful nail and then the next is like a child applied it.

It's a hard skill to master which takes a lot of time. You're doing absolutely right trying to solve your problems and improving in the areas you're struggling with, just remember your tutor should be there to show you all of these things and explain them a thousand times, if that's what it takes! Nothing beats being shown what to do irl and something like product ratio for example is hard to get properly without someone actually there showing you.

Thank you! I know what you're saying, even though I am days away from qualifying I know I still have a lot to learn. I do know that I will learn a lot 'on the job' so to speak and I'm excited to learn more as I go along. Being a nail tech has been a dream of mine since I was a kid so to finally be here is The best feeling.

I wish I were that simple when it comes to taking to my tutor. There's been some ups and downs with my course and currently my acrylic tutor is off sick and has been for the last 5/6 weeks. We do have a second tutor who's a tutor in training and she is very knowledgeable, I can't fault her, but it's a class of 18 and she's been thrown in at the deep end taking on 18 of us by herself. So it's a challenge getting her time and asking all of the little questions I have floating around in my head lol.

Especially when I find they crop up when I am practising at home.

I've been reading Salon geek for months now and I just thought I would join and try to ask questions here to help me along! I find it amazing how there are people who've been doing something for years are able to answer silly little questions I have as a newbie haha!

It's awesome.

Thanks for your reply <3

Thank you! I know what you're saying, even though I am days away from qualifying I know I still have a lot to learn. I do know that I will learn a lot 'on the job' so to speak and I'm excited to learn more as I go along. Being a nail tech has been a dream of mine since I was a kid so to finally be here is The best feeling.

I wish I were that simple when it comes to taking to my tutor. There's been some ups and downs with my course and currently my acrylic tutor is off sick and has been for the last 5/6 weeks. We do have a second tutor who's a tutor in training and she is very knowledgeable, I can't fault her, but it's a class of 18 and she's been thrown in at the deep end taking on 18 of us by herself. So it's a challenge getting her time and asking all of the little questions I have floating around in my head lol.

Especially when I find they crop up when I am practising at home.

I've been reading Salon geek for months now and I just thought I would join and try to ask questions here to help me along! I find it amazing how there are people who've been doing something for years are able to answer silly little questions I have as a newbie haha!

It's awesome.

Thanks for your reply <3

I'm so glad for you! It's just about building your confidence and getting that muscle memory to work!

The tutor situation sounds horrible, however just make the most of the situation, write down all the questions you have at home and bring them in when you next see her, take photos and try to make the absolute most out of the small time you get with her.

We're all here to help the best we can over the internet! X

I'm so glad for you! It's just about building your confidence and getting that muscle memory to work!

The tutor situation sounds horrible, however just make the most of the situation, write down all the questions you have at home and bring them in when you next see her, take photos and try to make the absolute most out of the small time you get with her.

We're all here to help the best we can over the internet! X

Thanks so much!

Yeah I have done that in the past, I should compile a list and take it into her before we finish next week lol

It's always nice having a couple of different ideas so I love this place for that! I can't wait until I'm more knowledgeable and can do the same for others lol

Its s bit like learning to drive lol, you pass, they you're let loose on your own amongst the traffic! [emoji85]
Great video ciderella

Its s bit like learning to drive lol, you pass, they you're let loose on your own amongst the traffic! [emoji85]
Great video ciderella
A few people have said the same thing to me too lol

Latest posts

Back