Insect repellents and sun tan oils/lotions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tanfastic

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,

With the weather finally warming up and clients using the abovementioned products more freely now I was wondering if there was a list of products to avoid when wearing nail enhancements. I know DEET affects them and would love to know what else to warn my clients against.

Hopefully I can add these to my aftercare handout, has anyone got any suggestions?

chlorine in swimming pools. has a similiar effect to acetone...:sad:

chlorine in swimming pools. has a similiar effect to acetone...:sad:

Rinn, I have to say that what you have written here just is not factual!

I swim every day in a chlorinated pool as do millions of other nail wearing ladies. It just is not true. Chlorinated swimming pools do not have a detrimental effect at all on enhancements.

Excessive sun PLUS wet nails can help to fade certain polish colours or gel colours so clients need to know to dry their hands if they are going to sunbathe excessively. Their nails will not come off or soften because. Of chlorine.

Clients need to replace moisture with Solar Oil as always while on holiday.

ok geeg but i thought i was right from this info sheet i was sent.

file:///C:/Users/user/Downloads/Shellac%20and%20Chlorine[1].doc.

Shellac is formulated with Acetone Soluble Polymers (tiny tunnels) making it removable in 10 minutes with pure acetone. These tiny tunnels allow the acetone to travel all the way down through the coating and finally down to the base layer where the acetone breaks down the “quick-release” polymers releasing Shellac from the natural nail without the use of files or buffers which can be extremely damaging to the natural nail.

These tiny tunnels also make Shellac less chemically resistant than gels, liquid & powders or other enhancement products. Thus exposure to household chemicals including chlorine can affect Shellac wear. Clients that regularly swim or soak in Jacuzzis may not experience 14+ day wear with Shellac. However they should experience longer wear with Shellac than polish.

Jungle Inspect Spray Repellant is known to affect Bio Sculpture Gel so I assume it will also likely break down CND Shellac....

Shellac is formulated with Acetone Soluble Polymers (tiny tunnels) making it removable in 10 minutes with pure acetone. These tiny tunnels allow the acetone to travel all the way down through the coating and finally down to the base layer where the acetone breaks down the “quick-release” polymers releasing Shellac from the natural nail without the use of files or buffers which can be extremely damaging to the natural nail.

These tiny tunnels also make Shellac less chemically resistant than gels, liquid & powders or other enhancement products. Thus exposure to household chemicals including chlorine can affect Shellac wear. Clients that regularly swim or soak in Jacuzzis may not experience 14+ day wear with Shellac. However they should experience longer wear with Shellac than polish.

No, that does not say that chlorine will remove Shellac or affect Shellac like Acetone! Which is what you wrote. It does not.

It says that some may not have as long lasting a service if they regularly soak in hot tubs etc. not that they won't. I have a hot tub and a swimming pool and use both regularly and so do the majority of our clients living here in Spain. It is not an issue for them and Shellac. CND always is ultra cautious in these matters but the reality is that it is not a problem.

ok that's grand.

better to clear it up.

It just says you might experience slightly fewer days wear! It doesn't say not to go in chlorinated pools.
I've had enhancements and been abroad so in a pool every day and lots of times per day and never had a problem :biggrin:

Interesting that u have brought thus up tanfastic. I'm actually allergic to DEET (given the smallest of chances it will actually kill me!!) so I don't go near the stuff now! But it's useful to know what affect it would have on someone who does use insect repellant!!

Interesting that u have brought thus up tanfastic. I'm actually allergic to DEET (given the smallest of chances it will actually kill me!!) so I don't go near the stuff now! But it's useful to know what affect it would have on someone who does use insect repellant!!
DEET is a powerful solvent ... It will affect most enhancements ... Technicians have been warning clients about the effects of Deet for a long time. This is a specific warning we give in our aftercare advice sheet to clients who are going abroad to abuse themselves in the sun! I never use anything that contains DEET. Think what it must do to your skin?

It's funny u should mention this. I already knew the effects of deet on nails but hadn't realised how much until I went on holiday last week. It literally took the top layer of my gels off. Unfortunately I have to use it tho because insects love me and I'm allergic to there bites :(

It's funny u should mention this. I already knew the effects of deet on nails but hadn't realised how much until I went on holiday last week. It literally took the top layer of my gels off. Unfortunately I have to use it tho because insects love me and I'm allergic to there bites :(

You really don't have to use it. There are lots of other substances that deter insects including patches so that you don't have to smear that stuff all over your skin! There are also natural fragrances that are lovely and thst deter mossies etc from coming near.

Last edited:
You really don't have to use it. There are lots of other substances that deter insects including patches so that you don't have to smear that stuff all over your skin! There are also natural fragrances that are lovely and thst deter mossies etc from coming near.

I have tried most things and unfortunately deet 100 is the only thing that has worked so far. The trouble I have is that they really do love me and I really can't risk being bitten. It's so annoying because I absolutely hate the stuff, it even takes colour out of clothes!!! It's awful!!

Does deet stand for anything?

Sent from my GT-I5800 using SalonGeek

For any of your clients who may have horses - some fly repellents may be a problem.
It doesn't affect my bio sculpture gel but it does melt the clear top coat polish.

(I now wear gloves when applying horse fly repellent to my ponies - I suppose I should have anyway but I'm always in a hurry in the mornings, lesson learned.)

Does deet stand for anything?

Sent from my GT-I5800 using SalonGeek

Yes, it is the abbreviation (common) for Diethyl-meta-toluamide

Here is a link to additional information on the chemical
DEET - Wikipedia

Hths

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back