Inspiration

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruc123

Reaction score
Hi iv been self employed for some time now and have rented a room for a couple of years I started my business with nothing and have built a good clientele base it's come to the faze were things are not being run the way I would in the salon and it is starting to affect my business ideally I want my own shop and are just wanting to take the plunge however little worried if I need a large amount of money behind me even tho when I went self employed I had nothing?! What would ure advice be and how ds u start out?!

Hi,

You would need to be sure all your clients would follow you and you have a strong clientel built up.

With a shop their is soooo much more to take into account compared to renting a room. I started mobile got so busy I got an extension put onto the back of a hair salon and opened a beauty room in their while I was mobile I worked full time as a Property Management company dealing with commercial lets mainly hair/beauty salons and takeaways. I am so happy I done this as if I hadn't I probably would of went straight into getting a shop however knowing now what I know I don't know if I would ever want to take the leap to a shop.

You have rent (which is big for a decent sized shop), council tax, water, gas, electric, building insurance, contents insurance a long with keeping your shop stocked up. You need to be very careful what kind of contract you take with a commercial property as most of them these days state no matter what happens to the shop you have to fix it. So say the roof came in and you had to close the shop and pay to fix it (or your insurance would pay) would you be able to survive etc. Also the way the market it as the moment its not exactly great.

Renting a room is the best thing in my opinion. Is there no way you could raise your concerns with the owner? If they are a decent business man/woman they should understand and if you pay them money & u are not happy then I would defo raise the concern or put it into writing to them.

But then again if you have the money and savings for a shop and your confident it would work then go for it!! But I wouldn't get into financial difficulty for a problem that may be able to be sorted.

Sorry if this is no help lol xXx

No I have spoke to owners and I feel it goes in one war and out the other iv managed to build shops up and iv kept my clientele so iv been lucky they have followed me were ever iv been so my head is in clouds! I'm going to look at a property. Next week so we will see! Thanx for reply x

Hi I walked straight out of college & opened a shop it's hard work paying everything & keeping old & new clients coming in the door but so very worth it & I love it? Sometimes u will bang Ur head against the wall when all u seem to get is bills but just make sure u do your sums on prices & u will be fine x

Latest posts

Back