Instructions for removing gel nail enhancements

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdnaples

Reaction score
Hi Everyone :)
I am not a professional nail tech yet, i got a long ways to go but i am on here asking questions and getting great help along the way :)
I had my gel nails applied 2 weeks ago, i dont and wont go back to the person that did them since i had a bad experience. They look like they need in-filled (is that what you call it? Sorry, I have no knowledge of enhancements, learning terminology) So...i want to remove my nails myself...please correct me if im wrong...this is what i was planning on doing ?

1. Buff Nails with rough nail file to break the gel seal
2. Soak in acetone (i bought a bottle of pure acetone from sallys) or can i wrap acetone soaked cotton pad and then cover each finger with tin foil?
3. wash hands free of acetone
4. Treat nails with Solar Oil

I know there are good nail techs that could do this process for me but i want to know and learn how to do this the correct way. The last time i got them removed i was shocked at how harsh they were in taking them off and they charged me $20. yep they used the drill and hacked at my nails to get them off ...wasnt pleasant. Practising on myself will be good :)

Hope you can help :) I'm ready to take them off :)
Michelle ( newbie )

The first question you need to answer is, are you wearing a soak off gel or a buff off gel?
A buff off gel will not soak off whether or not you break the seal with a file.
So what are you wearing and the brand name please?

I don't know the brand name ...they told me they were pink and white gel nail enhancements. All i know is he added a white tip and painted the gel over my whole natural nail. That's all i know sorry. The gel was in a small white tub other than that i didn't see a brand name.

:(

I don't know the brand name ...they told me they were pink and white gel nail enhancements. All i know is he added a white tip and painted the gel over my whole natural nail. That's all i know sorry. The gel was in a small white tub other than that i didn't see a brand name.

:(

Did he just paint it on thin in one coat, or has he added bulk to the nail and built it up with a few layers?

Did he just paint it on thin in one coat, or has he added bulk to the nail and built it up with a few layers?

He painted it on 2 layers if i remember correctly.

Did your tech actually cure each step in UV lamp as he was building? Or only cured it in UV lamp once at the end of procedure? This might be acrylic by sound of it...

Did your tech actually cure each step in UV lamp as he was building? Or only cured it in UV lamp once at the end of procedure? This might be acrylic by sound of it...

I remember it was cured a couple times also i do know it was not a mixture formed on the tips of my nails as i thought acrylic is done. He painted the tips white which were already white tips but they must do that to make it whiter ...im not sure . Be interesting to find out what you think they are.

I remember it was cured a couple times also i do know it was not a mixture formed on the tips of my nails as i thought acrylic is done. He painted the tips white which were already white tips but they must do that to make it whiter ...im not sure . Be interesting to find out what you think they are.

It could be either a soak off or a buff off gel the way you describe it.

Thin them down a bit and then wrap them as you seem to know the procedure. If they don't soften after 20 minutes or so then they are buff off only. Be very careful doing this ... You can cause allot of damage to your nails but so can going to the wrong technician to do it. My advice, if buffing, is to only go so far and no further ... Leaving some gel on the nail for protection and to grow the rest out.

It could be either a soak off or a buff off gel the way you describe it.

Thin them down a bit and then wrap them as you seem to know the procedure. If they don't soften after 20 minutes or so then they are buff off only. Be very careful doing this ... You can cause allot of damage to your nails but so can going to the wrong technician to do it. My advice, if buffing, is to only go so far and no further ... Leaving some gel on the nail for protection and to grow the rest out.

Thanks for the advice. I will try it out tomorrow. I have not done anything yet as i just applied solar oil, i have been doing this regulary, ever other day but now i maybe should be applying daily ?
If i can't get them to soak off I will go to a salon and get them to remove, i won't play around too much as not to do a lot of damage. I just wanted to try myself. My nails are important to me not just cause i want to be a nail tech but because i do take care of them :)

Again....Thank you for all your advice, I'll let you know how it goes :)

Michelle :)

Latest posts

Back