Insufficient training?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rigby's mum

Reaction score
I am reading more and more questions which people are asking about their new training. Someone completes a course and then has to come on here and ask many questions about how to do the treatment, what products to use and maybe how to upsell it. As an oldie, I find it so worrying that people can do these courses, probably online just now and they simply don’t have the skills or tools to do it.

Anybody else noticed this - I would be surprised if I’m alone here? I really wish proper regulation would happen..... Apologies, I think I have too much time on my hands....

I am reading more and more questions which people are asking about their new training. Someone completes a course and then has to come on here and ask many questions about how to do the treatment, what products to use and maybe how to upsell it. As an oldie, I find it so worrying that people can do these courses, probably online just now and they simply don’t have the skills or tools to do it.

Anybody else noticed this - I would be surprised if I’m alone here? I really wish proper regulation would happen..... Apologies, I think I have too much time on my hands....

It's relentless sometimes, and people get really touchy when you tell them that there training was rubbish, you have to word it really carefully. I've noticed those who are genuinely interested in the business, want to learn and have the passion are far more receptive to the idea they've missed out. Those who think its a fast, easy way to make money don't like it.

We get a lot of 'fishing' too - usually DIYers who think we will give out free training if they say they're training, you can usually tell as the questions are so wrong even the most basic course would cover. I tend to answer them but only in the most generic term or refer them back to their trainer/manual. My favourite was many, many years ago someone came on and said they knew the needed liquid and powder to make extensions but should they mix the whole tub up in advance or just as much as they needed for a set!?!?!?!!!

We have some great things coming with Marian Newman's Federation of Nail Professionals, it's going to be awesome.

https://professionalbeauty.co.uk/site/newsdetails/marian-newman-federation-of-nail-professionals
https://m.facebook.com/TheFNPUK/

My favourite was many, many years ago someone came on and said they knew the needed liquid and powder to make extensions but should they mix the whole tub up in advance or just as much as they needed for a set!?!?!?!!!

Wow, that’s got to be one of the most bizarre questions ever posted!
Presumably, they hadn’t even attended the YouTube School of crap training.:p

Wow, that’s got to be one of the most bizarre questions ever posted!
Presumably, they hadn’t even attended the YouTube School of crap training.:p

I know right?! Clearly they'd never had their nails done or watched someone work - in fairness it was in the really early days of forums and YouTube but even so!

I absolutely agree. I've a had a few good rants on here and elsewhere about online courses. I feel, in the current climate, some of these are just taking hard earned cash from some people who are genuinely trying to find a way to train.

I think the lack of basic training is a big part of this too. The short course market is so big now, with masses of budding therapists signing up, with no prior knowledge or training. I think this opens people up to poor quality courses, as well as leaving them with such basic skills.
it doesn’t help that it’s so easy to set up such training facilities...
I knew of one lady, from an admin background, did a 3 day microblading course, within a matter of months was training others. The worst part of it, she’d message me from time to time, asking fairly basic questions... all whilst charging others for her ‘expert’ led courses.

It's relentless sometimes, and people get really touchy when you tell them that there training was rubbish, you have to word it really carefully. I've noticed those who are genuinely interested in the business, want to learn and have the passion are far more receptive to the idea they've missed out. Those who think its a fast, easy way to make money don't like it.

We get a lot of 'fishing' too - usually DIYers who think we will give out free training if they say they're training, you can usually tell as the questions are so wrong even the most basic course would cover. I tend to answer them but only in the most generic term or refer them back to their trainer/manual. My favourite was many, many years ago someone came on and said they knew the needed liquid and powder to make extensions but should they mix the whole tub up in advance or just as much as they needed for a set!?!?!?!!!

We have some great things coming with Marian Newman's Federation of Nail Professionals, it's going to be awesome.

https://professionalbeauty.co.uk/site/newsdetails/marian-newman-federation-of-nail-professionals
https://m.facebook.com/TheFNPUK/
I think nails in particular have a lot of you tubers!

It's difficult to keep up with changes and new lines, but you're correct that you can still often get a gut feeling from how the question is posed, as to whether there's a base knowledge there or not. You're also spot on with some people asking advice and not actually wanting to listen to the advice we give!

There was a mention on another thread the other day, when I queried if someone was confident enough to correct a colour issue. The lady with the question did not come back, so I'm not sure if I frightened her off? She did say she was qualified and I think she probably was, but some times, even if we are qualified, whether online or not, we need a re-fresher now and then. However another poster suggested the poster had been 'verbally abused' which I hope is not how I came across......but it's hard to convey that we just want people to be safe, as sometimes it's hard to explaine when it's in written form.

I think the lack of basic training is a big part of this too. The short course market is so big now, with masses of budding therapists signing up, with no prior knowledge or training. I think this opens people up to poor quality courses, as well as leaving them with such basic skills.
it doesn’t help that it’s so easy to set up such training facilities...
I knew of one lady, from an admin background, did a 3 day microblading course, within a matter of months was training others. The worst part of it, she’d message me from time to time, asking fairly basic questions... all whilst charging others for her ‘expert’ led courses.
Completely agree and I hope those who genuinely want to learn will start to realise they shouldn't waste their money on quick tricks and look for longer term and more quality education. In the meantime, hopefully those with a good understanding of their learning, so far, will still want to ask our advice here, and not feel it's too scary....or we're too scary!🤔😂

There was a mention on another thread the other day, when I queried if someone was confident enough to correct a colour issue. The lady with the question did not come back, so I'm not sure if I frightened her off? She did say she was qualified and I think she probably was, but some times, even if we are qualified, whether online or not, we need a re-fresher now and then. However another poster suggested the poster had been 'verbally abused' which I hope is not how I came across......but it's hard to convey that we just want people to be safe, as sometimes it's hard to explaine when it's in written form.

It majorly pisses me off when you take the time to reply and they don't even bother to come back to the thread they started!

I've never read your replies or posts and thought they were rude or unnecessary, or abusive.

I've been accused bullying, by the person I was helping. Just because someone doesn't like what they are being told doesn't mean it's bullying or abusive. I love that we're not gushy and overly complimentary on here. I've been on other sites where people post the most horrendous nails and everyone comments saying 'they're great hun' - no they are not, they're terrible and it's wrong to give people false confidence. I'm harsh but honest and will praise good work equally honestly. You know the saying 'hurt me with the truth rather than comfort me with lies'

It majorly pisses me off when you take the time to reply and they don't even bother to come back to the thread they started!

I've never read your replies or posts and thought they were rude or unnecessary, or abusive.

I've been accused bullying, by the person I was helping. Just because someone doesn't like what they are being told doesn't mean it's bullying or abusive. I love that we're not gushy and overly complimentary on here. I've been on other sites where people post the most horrendous nails and everyone comments saying 'they're great hun' - no they are not, they're terrible and it's wrong to give people false confidence. I'm harsh but honest and will praise good work equally honestly. You know the saying 'hurt me with the truth rather than comfort me with lies'
I think we're quite alike!😂 If I ask someone's opinion, I'd much rather they gave me pointers that will actually help me, rather than just saying everything look great!

Yes Trinity, there are many threads where I seem to have had the last word and the poster hasn’t acknowledged my reply to their question. All they need to do is like my post and I’m happy.

I notice that a lot of recently trained therapists are very defensive if they feel slighted in any way. They have had so much praise and encouragement from their trainers that’s it’s a real shock when they get an honest response, I guess it’s a generation gap.

I was a bit taken aback when my 10 yr old granddaughter turned round to me the other day and said firmly “Grandma, you’re just mean. Mean, mean, mean” and stick her tongue out at me. Apparently asking her to tidy up after she’d rummaged through my stuff was impolite!

I do think people progress a lot better if they are encouraged - and fear of failure holds so many people back if they’ve had a demoralising experience in school or an unsupportive family.

Last edited:

I've looked at some of those online courses and they are incredibly cheep. I've signed up to do a few but with the complete understanding that I won't do any treatments until I've gone and done the extended classroom course and qualification. But for me atleast at less then £100 a course I can get a basic grasp of what's involved before spending the bigger bucks on the classroom training.

...I knew of one lady, from an admin background, did a 3 day microblading course, within a matter of months was training others. The worst part of it, she’d message me from time to time, asking fairly basic questions... all whilst charging others for her ‘expert’ led courses.

I think this is sadly, not uncommon in the current rush to earn money by taking the business online.

When geeks post about poor training and mention the company they trained with, you look at the company’s website and besides a lot of ‘glitter and sparkle’ there’s very little of substance regarding the accreditation of the training offered and even less about whether the qualifications are actually recognised by the Industry.

In many cases, the trainer has purchased basic accreditation through an insurance company. Now there are some fantastic small training companies operating this way who provide excellent theory training but our business is very much ‘hands on’ and it’s vital that students get good personalised tuition if they’re going to be ready to start working on clients after completing their training.

It wasn’t that many years ago when you had to complete 3 full years as an apprentice before you could be deemed qualified at the most basic level. Now students expect to be competent after 3 days training! 😆

I think this is sadly, not uncommon in the current rush to earn money by taking the business online.

When geeks post about poor training and mention the company they trained with, you look at the company’s website and besides a lot of ‘glitter and sparkle’ there’s very little of substance regarding the accreditation of the training offered and even less about whether the qualifications are actually recognised by the Industry.

In many cases, the trainer has purchased basic accreditation through an insurance company. Now there are some fantastic small training companies operating this way who provide excellent theory training but our business is very much ‘hands on’ and it’s vital that students get good personalised tuition if they’re going to be ready to start working on clients after completing their training.

It wasn’t that many years ago when you had to complete 3 full years as an apprentice before you could be deemed qualified at the most basic level. Now students expect to be competent after 3 days training! 😆
Some of th eonline courses I've seen are 2 hours and you get a 'qualification' and insurance. Scarey times! I'm gonna do them to get the basics during glickdown then do the full course after so I actually know what I'm doing.

I've looked at some of those online courses and they are incredibly cheep. I've signed up to do a few but with the complete understanding that I won't do any treatments until I've gone and done the extended classroom course and qualification. But for me atleast at less then £100 a course I can get a basic grasp of what's involved before spending the bigger bucks on the classroom training.

Better money spent would be Marian Newman's latest book - I guarantee you'd learn more from that book than any £100 course
Then Douglas Schoon's
Then Gigi Rouse's

You'll be the best informed new student by far

When I trained, I was totally shocked that so many of the young ladies were allowed to pass. It was a private school (that went under a few years later. The owner moved out over the weekend and students sat there for two hours outside the school on Monday with no idea she'd done a runner with their money!) and the standards were low - the more people that passed, the more money she'd get from the government as a provider.
As an older student (mid 30's), I got myself into a bit of strife by telling the youngsters that they were lazy, and needed to help clean up the salon at the end of the day. (I must admit that I was direct - like "FFS, stop sitting around chatting and help the rest of us with clean up. We want to go home too.")
I saw students pass that barely knew how to read their student manuals. In fact, I would never have let most of them do any services on me outside of the training salon - including massage. One poor lass had a learning disability, she struggled to follow the step by step instructions for a basic manicure or pedicure (she consistently wanted to use the foot file on the top of my foot - ouch), but was passed none the less.
I've attended training salons for students to "practice" for their exams and been horrified that they didn't even know which direction to spread the wax on my legs, let alone how to rip it off. I've had XXX waxes at dedicated XXX waxing salons and come out with bruises and lifted patches on the skin, and the waxer says nothing - I find out when I pee later that there is an abrasion. None of them hold the skin tight - when you get older, all of your skin is saggy, especially around the girly bits, and if you don't support the skin, you will bruise your client. (Try explaining the big black bruises on a bikini line when at the beach)
Many girls were not very bright that were at the training school with me - many left school at year ten or earlier and did not have a basic grasp of science or biology. Most struggled with the course content, I would often spend lunchtimes going over the lessons with them to help them comprehend - only because they slowed me down.

Some of th eonline courses I've seen are 2 hours and you get a 'qualification' and insurance. Scarey times! I'm gonna do them to get the basics during glickdown then do the full course after so I actually know what I'm doing.
Don't do it! Wait until you can do a hands on course. It mighg be 'only £100', but it's better in your pocket than theirs! Sometimes they will teach very bad practices, that you may find hard to unlearn. As has been said....spend lockdown reading this forum, deciding on a course, etc. Keep your money and put it toward a nice kit, when the time is right.

Exactly this! It’s a real shame as people who could be a brilliant fit for the industry are just being sold short and left with zero confidence (and slightly lighter pockets!)

Completely agree and I hope those who genuinely want to learn will start to realise they shouldn't waste their money on quick tricks and look for longer term and more quality education. In the meantime, hopefully those with a good understanding of their learning, so far, will still want to ask our advice here, and not feel it's too scary....or we're too scary!🤔😂
I’ve always had the motto, pay cheap, pay twice! And it’s so true with training! X

Latest posts

Back