Insurance advice please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sara-Jo

Reaction score
Hi all I hope some can help. I have just been offered a comision based self employed position doing beauty therapy & gel nails in a hair salon yay I was under the impression that I would need my own insurance but the salon owner says as everyone is self employed there her insurance covers us all? Is this right and if so how can I check without offending her that I am covered. Any advice would be great. Xx

I'm not sure where around the globe you are, but in Australia, if your self employed, you work for yourself, & need to obtain your own insurance :)

No, she's wrong.

If you are self employed you must purchase your own insurance. You are a separate business entity and your clients have a contract with you, not her.

Read this guidance document at the following link...

http://www.salongeek.com/threads/hmrc-guidelines-for-determining-self-employment.295298/

Note:
1. Status
The independent contractor (the Contractor) within a salon should be self-employed.
The business or enterprise of the Contractor should be independent of, and separate to, that of the salon and:
attend to its own insurance requirements, including public liability insurance;

Print out a copy of the full document and take it with you and show her. She can't argue with HMRC.

I'm not sure where around the globe you are, but in Australia, if your self employed, you work for yourself, & need to obtain your own insurance :)
Thanks for the reply beautestation , I am in England and that was what I thought but she said we were all covered by hers so just wanted to double check. Xx

No, she's wrong.

If you are self employed you must purchase your own insurance. You are a separate business entity and your clients have a contract with you, not her.

http://www.salongeek.com/threads/hmrc-guidelines-for-determining-self-employment.295298/

Note:
1. Status
The independent contractor (the Contractor) within a salon should be self-employed.
The business or enterprise of the Contractor should be independent of, and separate to, that of the salon and:

Print out a copy of the full document and take it with you and show her. She can't argue with HMRC.

No, she's wrong.

Note:
1. Status

Thanks for the reply AcidPerm. That is great thank u and very informative will take this in. I didn't think her insurance could cover us being self employed and didn't want to just take her word for it and be in the wrong myself. Xx

Latest posts

Back