Insurance for home salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nancy E

Stephanie S
Reaction score
I currently work self employed in a couple of salons as well as mobile and am looking into setting up a salon at home.

I currently have insurance with the guild which covers me to work from home but I’m also looking to renew my home insurance. When I’ve mentioned that I want to start working from home to my prospective home insurers, they either won’t cover me or direct me to their business insurance department.
My question is, do I need to declare that I am using my home for business purposes or not considering I already have my business insurance set up with the guild?
What do any of you do?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated 🙏🏻

Your home insurance is different to your professional services and liability so they are not dependent on each other, however, You absolutely need both for different reasons.

Professional and Liability to protect you and your clients.
Home insurance to protect your homecand contents.

If you run your business from home without declaring it to your home insurance provider you run the risk of them rejecting any claim, we'll all know how insurance companies will use any excuse to refuse payment.

You don't need home insurance for professional insurance so no issues.

Insurance companies are impossible to fathom, my insurance company cover me but don't take new customers who work ftom home. Some use different criteria and class say 'office type' work different to visiting client work. We're in a sticky place at the moment with Covid-19 'work from home' advice, etc. So more and more are needing the cover so insurance companies are scrambling to work out what to do.

I think its a case of calling round and seeing what is available.

Thanks very much for the reply. You’re certainly right they’re hard to fathom! Will do some more ringing around 😊

Hi, have you tried calling Esure for a quote? My insurance premium did not change when I set up my home salon. They said that since the house is now occupied during the day it is safer so no extra charge. There is a limit to the number of clients I can have in a week. I can't recall the exact number but I remember thinking I would never have that many in a week. The only change to my policy is that if I do make a claim I have to be able to show that someone physically broke into the property eg. broken window/door. Since setting up at home I've had to make one claim on my household insurance which wasn't a problem at all. Although it was a fire in the garden caused by a very apologetic neighbour. Good luck!

Hi, have you tried calling Esure for a quote? My insurance premium did not change when I set up my home salon. They said that since the house is now occupied during the day it is safer so no extra charge. There is a limit to the number of clients I can have in a week. I can't recall the exact number but I remember thinking I would never have that many in a week. The only change to my policy is that if I do make a claim I have to be able to show that someone physically broke into the property eg. broken window/door. Since setting up at home I've had to make one claim on my household insurance which wasn't a problem at all. Although it was a fire in the garden caused by a very apologetic neighbour. Good luck!
Thanks so much for your reply. I haven’t tried them so will give them a call 👍🏻😊

It's hard work isn't it! My husband also works from home and my brain is fried from figuring out who would cover what in which situation. We have contents insurance which won't cover any business content and theft by my customers etc and I am getting business insurance which will cover all my business stuff and also house contents damaged stolen as result of my business (from direct line). Definitely a case of ringing around rather than quick online form. Good luck!

I'm insured with Towergate who have a specific working from home insurance for Hair and beauty. It covers my home buildings and contents but also has an extra section that covers business stock, equipment, money in transit as well as on the premises and loss of earnings due to fire,theft etc. I've been working from home for 8 years now and they're the only ones I've found who cover both home and business if you have more than a few people coming to your home. Most of the working from home policies don't cover the fact we have people coming to our business, they're only for things such as a home office.

Thanks so much for your replies. After speaking to LOTS of insurance companies and going round in circles, I ended up keeping my Beauty Guild insurance then going with Acorn for home insurance (I told them I was working from home but didn’t need cover as already had beauty insurance). It was a lot more than I wanted to pay so next year will definitely look into Towergate. Thanks again

Glad you're sorted for now. It's a nightmare isn't it. I've had companies say, oh we'll insure you but not for stock and equipment in your salon, crazy! I've got insurance with the guild as well as my towergate insurance as it doesn't cover public liability

Latest posts

Back