Insurance while doing case studies

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jade - portia

Reaction score
Hi

I've done precision brow training today and before I qualify I've got to complete a number of case studies. I was just wondering what the situation is with insurance prior to getting the qualification.

I'm currently insured through BABTAC for semi-permanent eyelash extensions.

Check with your insurance provider and make sure ur clients sign a disclaimer ensuring they know ur training x

Good thinking on the disclaimer beauty_sarah I'll get those done now.

I would ring the insurance company anyway but I just wanted to find out what over more experienced people thought before I did. I like to go into a conversation of any kind with a bit of understanding about what I'm talking about ;)

For example if other geeks had responded and said "yes you can usually do case studies with you current insurance" and my insurers said no, I would want to know why.

Whereas if geeks had said no you can't do that then I'm sure they would also have given info about how they got round doing case studies they may have done in the past.

I'll get on to BABTAC tomorrow and see what they are saying and I'll add a disclaimer to the consent form for my case studies. Thanks for taking the time to answer it's much appreciated :)

Your welcome, as long as ur clients sign it and u explain on it ur training n they have had a patch test if needed they can't touch you!! Good luck xx

as far as I am aware disclaimers aren't worth the paper there written on so definitely phone your insurer!

Hi

I was researching this yesterday, this is what I was informed:

The academy where the training is being held will cover you under their insurance whilst you are on their premises. The academy will not insure to practice, particularly in a salon environment. The academy has insurance under the Beauty Guild of Beauty Therapists but when I phoned them for cover they advised that they currently do not offer a student insurance.

I also phoned Salon Gold, who we currently have our salon insurance with and they too, do not at the moment, offer student insurance but are looking into it.

I phoned BABTAC and yes they do offer a student insurance which I'm sure if you give them a call they will help you with. This covers you for case studies but you cannot charge full price for treatments only to cover for product costs.

Hope this helps

Hi geeks!

We do currently offer student membership and insurance. The student must be under supervision of a full Guild member when carrying out treatments on any member of the public. Students are allowed to carry out treatments on close members of their own family.

Hope this helps and if you need any further information, please give one of our advisers a call on 0845 2177383

I do apologise to The Guild, I based my information from a recent call to the office. Perhaps I didn't clarify when asking about insurance of exactly what I required and it wasn't explained about supervision of a full Guild member.

Again, sorry the confusion :(

Hi geeks!

We do currently offer student membership and insurance. The student must be under supervision of a full Guild member when carrying out treatments on any member of the public. Students are allowed to carry out treatments on close members of their own family.

Hope this helps and if you need any further information, please give one of our advisers a call on 0845 2177383

Hi thanks all for the great responses :)

As I explained I am currently insured with BABTAC for semi-permanent eyelash extensions and spray tanning so do have some insurance. I was looking to find out if that same insurance would cover me for the procision brows case study procedures:

• Eyebrow Waxing
  • Eyebrow & Lash Tinting
  • Application of individual lashes (party lashes)
I rang BABTAC yesterday quite a few times but once I got through the initial line choice options it just kept saying no one was available, I even tried ringing the insurers directly but they said I needed to speak to someone from BABTAC. So I've sent them an email and I cancelled the case studies I had booked in for the weekend - bit of a pain but can't be helped.

Hi beautybyK, Thanks for your thoughts, I'll still put the information about it being a free treatment as part of a case study on the consent form as beauty_sarah suggested which will show I was open with the client about my level of experience.

wow thanks for all that information taggyboy, I'm hoping that will be the kind of response I get from BABTAC. I'm not going to charge the people who have volunteered to be my case studies they are mostly clients who I do spray tans for so I'm happy for them to try out my new service and also possibly promote it for me :)

I do apologise to The Guild, I based my information from a recent call to the office. Perhaps I didn't clarify when asking about insurance of exactly what I required and it wasn't explained about supervision of a full Guild member.

Again, sorry the confusion :(

No problem at all :)

Just to update the thread...

I received a response to my email from BABTAC:

[As you are a full member, any case studies you do are automatically covered (providing we insure for the treatment) and we insure the treatment you have mentioned.

You must inform the client that they are a case study and they can be charged a nominal rate i.e. materials and petrol get them to sign the consultation form knowing they are a case study too, just to cover yourself.]

So I'm good to go :)

Just to update the thread...

I received a response to my email from BABTAC:

[As you are a full member, any case studies you do are automatically covered (providing we insure for the treatment) and we insure the treatment you have mentioned.

You must inform the client that they are a case study and they can be charged a nominal rate i.e. materials and petrol get them to sign the consultation form knowing they are a case study too, just to cover yourself.]

So I'm good to go :)

Thank u for mentioning consultation forms!

Latest posts

Back