Interested to know

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dondon90

Reaction score
This is more for self employed stylists but also for those of you who are employed.. How to do you guys deal with clients wanting cheaper prices on your services or those clients who are always trying to knock the price down.

Just out of curiosity, wondering how people go about dealing with this?

I just say the price is this much and i can't lower it

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

Just tell them its out of ur control

I tell them there's no offers on and that'll there'll be signs up when there is.

If they don't like it, go elsewhere.

Sent from my XT890 using SalonGeek mobile app

That's the trampiest thing I've ever heard, never happened to me thank god

I had a lady come in to book an appointment for her hair. Around about the 55 mark for cut and colour which is pretty reasonable in my eyes... said her mom wouldn't pay that much and just stood staring at my boss waiting for her to lower the price. I just handed her a price list and said... that's the prices if you wanna give them to her she can have a think

Lol, i was taking the bill for a child cut, and the daughter says to her mum, do you think they will give u a discount cos its ur birthday lol. I just said thats 10 pounds please! People can be so cheeky!!

I get this so often! I do alot of my business through my facebook page (self employed) and I get messages from people mainly asking about colour, I do as much of an in depth consultation and price estimation (I do stress to them its an estimation to give them a rough idea) before arranging to come out and see them for strand or skin test and final price quote.

I get people replying things like 'Just give me a price' Or 'Oh no I can get a full head foils and a restyle for £40 elsewhere' Or 'Hmm ok just waiting on some other people to get back to me about prices.'

I always reply with 'Ok, no worries.' Polite but not allowing further discussion on price. It can be quite annoying sometimes and I just want to say..Prices need to cover my products, petrol, child care AND my time!

I think sometimes people forget or just don't know that going from black to beige blonde highlights and caramel or white blonde to rich choc brown can take a little while and that they also need to pay for the hairdressers working time. So I always give them an estimation of time it will take when I quote them a price.

I let them know that I paid alot of money for schooling, my tools etc. & that there is cheaper places out there so go ahead & try them. Then they will get it when they get a crap cut & come to you to fix it! When they do charge em double for being idiots!

I had a little rant about this the other day when 3 people contacted me asking if I did "cheap nails"! (Self employed mobile, gotta love Facebook).
Took me by surprise a bit because I have had odd responses to hair requests but never nails. I just politely told them I was fully booked (which I was) until new year. And on the advice of many geeks sent them my price list for future reference. Didn't even entertain the idea of what cheap nails are.
I had a few people request foils and say "if I supply the bleach will it be cheaper?" I just say due to insurance purposes I can't do that. I've seen status updates among my personal Facebook friends asking for cheap foils, they are always quoted similar prices from the local mobile hairdressers and then they inbox me expecting mates rates tut. In short it's better to just say those are my prices and if you would like to book an appointment I look forward to hearing from you.

I get this so often! I do alot of my business through my facebook page (self employed) and I get messages from people mainly asking about colour, I do as much of an in depth consultation and price estimation (I do stress to them its an estimation to give them a rough idea) before arranging to come out and see them for strand or skin test and final price quote.

I get people replying things like 'Just give me a price' Or 'Oh no I can get a full head foils and a restyle for £40 elsewhere' Or 'Hmm ok just waiting on some other people to get back to me about prices.'

I always reply with 'Ok, no worries.' Polite but not allowing further discussion on price. It can be quite annoying sometimes and I just want to say..Prices need to cover my products, petrol, child care AND my time!

I think sometimes people forget or just don't know that going from black to beige blonde highlights and caramel or white blonde to rich choc brown can take a little while and that they also need to pay for the hairdressers working time. So I always give them an estimation of time it will take when I quote them a price.

£40 for a full head highlights and restyle!!!! We charged more than that when i was at college!

Lol I know! I just thought hmm ok then god knows what they r using on your hair if they can get a decent profit out of that!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using SalonGeek mobile app

This 'Profession' is starting to sound like your local market.....

'gather round, what ya gonna give me for a set of nail's? Let's start the bid with a fiver......

Or perhaps the building trade,
'come on, we know you're quite this time of year, and need the money, how much for cash!.....Let's not be greedy, or i'll go elsewhere........

Sadly, little by little, this type of 'trading' is becoming the norm. I've mentioned before, once you allow the client to 'barter', all is lost.
The consumer is increasingly using the line, 'so and so down the road does it cheaper'.....WELL OFF YOU TROT.......Do not be bullied into becoming cheap as chips!

I had a lady come into the salon a while back to ask about nails. She told me that she thought £50 a month on her nails was far to expensive but if I could guarantee her nails would last longer than 2 weeks so she would only need to spend £50 every 6 - 8 weeks. I told her I couldn't guarantee that, that was the price & all of my clients were very happy with the price & service they recieved. I just wanted to tell her to f*** off lol.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Never ever ever lower your price for anyone, stand firm and believe you are worth what your charging, the clients that try and haggle are the clients you would rather avoid. Assert yourself and make people not want to ask you to lower your price xx

Latest posts

Back