Interesting article about waxing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sam1

Reaction score
My husband found this and emailed it to me.Thought you waxers might find it interesting.

A BOTCHED brazilian waxing turned into a horror story for a young Melbourne woman who almost died after the beauty treatment went wrong.

The 20-year-old suffered a life-threatening infection after some minor bleeding while being groomed by a trainee waxer.

Within a fortnight the diabetes sufferer, who has a lowered immune system, was suffering excruciating pain, a fever and a rash extending to her chest, arms and neck.

Other areas of her body became so badly infected, doctors thought she had a flesh-eating disease until they were finally able to examine her under a general anaesthetic.

Doctors at the Austin hospital unit saved her life with antibiotics last year, but they were astounded when just six months later the same woman presented with a similar condition - this time caused by shaving.

The unnamed woman is one of 90 Victorians who went to hospital last year with waxing injuries, according to figures prepared for the Herald Sun by the Monash University Accident Research Centre's Victorian Injury Surveillance Unit.

But because of her poorly managed diabetes and low immune system the results for this woman were almost catastrophic, said the Austin's director of infectious diseases, Prof Lindsay Grayson.

"This case represents one of the more extreme examples and this patient would have died without appropriate medical care," he said.

"This didn't occur just once, it occurred twice, and we have had other cases, though never as serious as this, where people will do strange things to do what they perceive as beautiful.

"Many of these new beauty treatments may be fine for healthy people, but patients who have weakened immune systems should think twice about having these.

"Waxing is a very gross way of removing hair and in doing that, it is not possible to wax without some micro-trauma to the skin.

"That is normally okay, because our immune systems deal with it, but depending on the location it can have various risks."

A summary of the case features in the international medical journal Clinical Infectious Diseases to inform doctors around the world.

Prof Grayson said he hoped beauty therapists and those with low-immune systems would also take notice.

omg that sounds horrible.:eek:
i've never heard of anything like that happening!
has anyone encountered anything like this??

Just goes to show how important those consultation forms are.

yeah but she shouldnt have had it done if she was diabetic ! thats what consultation forms are for , i wonder if they actually did one or did she hide the fact she was diabetic ??

I think the keys words here are "her poorly managed diabetes" - folks who stabilise their condition through diet, exercise and medication are normally perfectly okay to get waxed, as confirmed by Diabetes UK in a recent article. But yes, those cosultation forms are a must!

I think the keys words here are "her poorly managed diabetes" - folks who stabilise their condition through diet, exercise and medication are normally perfectly okay to get waxed, as confirmed by Diabetes UK in a recent article. But yes, those cosultation forms are a must!

Just what I was going to say, it makes a great story though! I hope she gets better soon and starts taking her meds. surely she will have learnt a hard lesson this time.

so true, diabetes even well managed can still be a big issue with waxing, this definately should be picked up with a consultation but then she probably didn't disclose her condition, what a nightmare!:eek:

A client forwarded this to me last week:eek:
We've heard so much about MMA,NSS etc but this............. & not close to home but actually here.

Makes me wonder if adding wording to the Client info/treatment policies to the likes of:

Any undisclosed information in relation to medical - health conditions resulting in adverse reaction do to treatments carried out by [ your business name ]....... will not be the responsibilty of our operators or the company in general .......yadda yadda.

By the time we're all finished our client consults will be 3 pages long.....
But I suppose as long as we are covered & they are aware then maybe we can worry a little less.

XX J XX

Latest posts

Back