Interview for Beauty Lecturer

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dolci_Dolittle

Reaction score
Hi guys!

After sending my cv to 13 colleges across central Scotland I have an interview next Friday for a temporary position within the colleges supply pool but it's a start.

They're aware I don't hold a teaching qualification and the vacancy on the college website said it was an advantage but not essential and that I must be willing to train during employment which I am (and should hopefully have £200 ILA voucher to put towards training)

Does anyone have any tips or advice? I'm getting really nervous as I'm wanting to get in to lecturing so much.

I'll also need to do a short desktop exercise while I'm there (what that is I've no idea!)

Thanks
Xxx

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek

You could always look into Open University courses

Bump. Anyone else?
Xxx

Nobody?

Its more for tips and advice for the interview as I know what i need for the teaching qualification side of things.

Thanks
Xx

I have no idea what a desktop exercise is, but I would imagine that the interview will be competency based, as most are. I would expect questions on the use of technology in teaching, team working, and possibly some situational questions about how you would handle different circumstances.

Do you have a job description? They will take the questions from that so that is a good start for preparing yourself. Have they advised that you will have to deliver a presentation? That is a common requirement and I would be very surprised if it didn't form part of a lecturing interview?

J

You normally need to prepare a micro teach session on a subject that they tell you to deliver to a small group of students. You ought to ring and have a chat with them if youre not sure what they want. If you are friendly and confident on the phone then you may even be a more memorable candidate.

As well as a micro teach, you generally have an interview as well with a panel where you have the usual interview questions- what will you bring to this job etc etc. As you do not have previous experience, think about what skills you do have that make you perfect for the position.

I have sometimes had to sit a maths and English exam too- that's awful! But they should tell you in advance! All the best x

Hi, I agree with above post. I was lecturing but hairdressing.

The interview was in 3 parts....a practical assessment, a micro teach ( which was a 10 minute teaching session on the effects of Perming and neutralising on the hair structure

I thought they would have given you time to prepare something for this?

Sorry pressed post too soon!

Anyway during the interview the questioning focused lots on equality and diversity so I would make sure you are prepared for that line of questioning.

Good luck x

hi there when i went for an interview i had to perform a manicure on one of the interviewees as though i was demonstrating to the other interviewee if you get me, so explaining each step of the procedure, whys, don't etc. it wasn't as bad as i thought it would be, i just thought of them as clients, be professional all the way and good luck x

Ok so I emailed the college to find out what the desktop exercise would involve so i could prepare myself for it.

I'll be given a unit spec and then have to deliver this like i would to a class.

I'll have no idea what the unit spec will be til the day so it's freaked me out just a tad!

Xx

I could be wrong but by unit specification, it sounds like an objective from the qualification that students have to fulfill. So a unit spec could be something like "carry out a full pedicure service" so it would be your role to demonstrate and explain to the students/interviewer how to do that.

Youll probably find a lot of jargon when looking to go into teaching. Just roll with it and have confidence in yourself to improvise in the interview where necessary....I think as long as you bring a sample lesson plan with you, you should be fine.

A unit specification is the details of what the unit contains. It will cover the learning outcomes, assessment criteria, the content to be covered, and assessment requirements.

J

Latest posts

Back