Interview | Salon Geek Meets Scratch Editor Alex Fox

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Ed.

Reaction score
Alex Fox is the founder and editor of the nail industry magazine, Scratch. Salon Geek has been turning the tables on Alex and this time, she's answering the questions.

1. You're the editor of THE nail industry magazine. What's the best thing about what you do?
I love people, words and colour. Therefore producing a nail magazine for the industry gives me all three in abundance. I started out working on photography magazines, which was extremely exciting and gave me a discerning eye for pictures. At that time I had no idea that the nail world was just around my corner. I stumbled in accidentally - and am delighted this was the case as it is a journey that just gets better, brighter and more colourful.

2. And the worst?
We are a small team and when you produce twelve Scratch magazines, two Gloss magazines, Scratch Stars Awards, The Nailympics London competition and parts of Olympia Beauty exhibition every year, there is not much time for holidays. That's my only gripe - because I absolutely love my job.

3. As a journalist, was it always about nails for you? How did you get into this wonderfully crazy industry?
It was an accidental entry. I worked on music magazines (copy writing) and photography magazines (journalist) before I moved into working on the first UK nails magazine Nails Plus in 1998. It was part-time after my first baby was born (I admit I knew nothing of nails back then) - but my role grew until I was running four beauty-related titles and I got well and truly bitten by the beauty and nail bug as well as the people I was meeting through this role.

4. SCRATCH always delivers. What's the secret of staying abreast (for want of a better word) the nail industry news?
Communication and relationship building seem to work for me (as well as a passion for this industry, which I hope is more obvious than not). I really like people, not just what they do, but who they are. People are interesting because each of us has a story, and over time, you begin to bond - it's natural, and so over time I've made fabulous connections within this industry. I like talking, learning and getting to know people - so over the last 14 years I've made some solid friendships and fabulous acquaintances and it continues as new people enter. Therefore, I get news from established connections organically, however it appears that Scratch has gained itself a good reputation over the last 10 years and new sources of material emerge regularly for me from word of mouth - this always makes me smile.

5. What are you most proud of?
The Scratch team and the way we work together. We are a small team, yet we are all walking the same path. We all love the industry and love working together. For me, when a team works, it's a glorious union, which spawns many great ideas and much creativity. Being part of this team makes me extremely happy.

6. What surprises have you encountered on the way to nail press domination?
Not really sure how to answer this question in all honesty, as human beings never cease to surprise and amaze me and the job also throws in its curve balls from time to time. However, I would say that the most obvious surprise to me is how giving and sharing nail professionals can be. With each other and with the press. It might be creating a step by step - hours of work put in to offer an article in Scratch or it may be offering valuable advice on competing or growing your business or enhanced nail techniques. The list is endless. I do know that my industry journey has been filled with kind-hearted, non-judgmental colleagues and now friends who have helped me build Scratch from day one. Scratch is not, and was never, a one-horse race - it has always been a stud. A community effort and an industry working together in colour and style.

7. What do you do to relax when you're not SCRATCHing?
I joined a silk painting class over a year ago and I enjoy creating abstract mandalas. It's a group of women, once a week, we natter and paint and it's wonderful - I've made beautiful friends there and i'm letting out another of my creative urges. I love to read, watch movies, meditate (I enjoy indulging in spiritual enlightenment) and go-karting with my kids is great fun too. Living as an ex-pat in Qatar, much of my spare time is taken up spending special time with my friends and their children enjoying all sorts of activities every weekend.

8. You recently asked readers to decide on their favourite SCRATCH cover…do you have a standout favourite?
Wow, what a question. It's not that simple for me - as there are well over 100 now, but if I were to choose I'd say the launch cover by CND, was the best choice we could ever have made back in May 2003. It is iconic and finger fashion-regal, it does not date - just carries on delivering classic beauty and continues to please.

On reflection the years 2009 and 2012 were the most exciting as a group of images, however my most favourite of all is January 2010 by UK session stylist, Trish Lomax. It was an image I saw on her business card one day and it just arrested me - I knew it would make an amazing cover and to date it still makes me smile from ear to ear. It's busy, colourful and so simple yet screams - hello NAILS.

9. As the editor of the industry magazine, who are your 'ones to watch' this year?
The nail industry is a funny thing, it houses entrepreneurial creatives in every nook and cranny from the smallest desk in a hamlet in Wales to vast academies teeming with talent all over the world. Every day a new tech emerges in my world and I'm once again awestruck with their offering. I'd like to think that Scratch showcases these people through its features and columnists, so it's not possible to name the huge list of people that I'm watching right now. However, I do think that anyone who takes their eye off Marian Newman is missing a trick. For me, she remains an unrivaled nail skill and creative with a vast imagination and personality to match. She is still pushing boundaries, wowing with her designs and sharing her nail world & knowledge.

10. Finally, who would be your dream interviewee?
Funnily enough I have been pursuing an interview for over a year now and just got it. Bastien Gonzalez, in the April 2013 issue. He really piqued my interest with his unique approach to manicure and pedicure. He was certainly worth the wait. I have yet to meet Deborah Lippmann in New York, who I would love to dissect for the readers - and - believe it or not - i've still not met Suzi Weiss-Fischmann of OPI (i'm never in the UK when she visits), I would love to have a cup of tea with her one day.

Thank you Alex Fox.

Until then...geek on!

The Ed.

Attachments

• alex fox.jpg
    alex fox.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 214
Great interview Ed and Alex x

Latest posts

Back