Interview tips?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kateadreena

Reaction score
Hello

I was just wondering if any of you salon owners/managers could give me tips about what kind of things you look for in a potential employee/any interview tips you could share?

I'm currently looking for a stylist job in a salon & have a couple of interviews lined up but dont know what to expect!
XXXX

Hi there,

We are currently interviewing this week and as an Owner this is ten things I look for and would advise you do.

1. Make sure you are smartly dressed, infact be very smart in your dress sense. Obviously do not look to brash, just smart. This week we had someone turn up in Jeans :rolleyes:

2. Whatever you do, do not lie. The same person as above did just that in her interview. That was over salary when I asked what she was looking for she replied **** figure. Later on I asked her what she was earning now at a Salon as I would be prepared to match it. This Salon is somewhere where she apparently loves working at and doesn't want to leave. Guess what the figure was? It was exactly the same, so if it was the same why did she want to leave.

3. Please do not turn up after just smoking 2/3 cigarettes. She did and absolutely stunk. That was a BIG no, no for me. I then said this is a non smoking Salon inside and out, she replied she didn't smoke. I then asked her what the Silver packet was in her bag, she replied they was her Boyfriends - Oh dear, another lie.

4. Try and talk about your job and what you love about it as much as possible. Obviously use this in reply but if you are given the opportunity to say something then do it then.

5. Talk about your Qualifications, don't automatically push them in the interviewers face. Believe me you will gain more respect talking about them and then showing them.

6. Offer as much knowledge as you can regarding Products. Ask the Owner/Interviewer what Products they use and impress them with your knowledge of what you have been using. For me this will give me faith in you offering and selling them to clients.

7. Ask the Owner/Interviewer if he is willing to offer you an attendance Bonus. We do but if someone asked me this I would be amazed as it tells me they obviously are considering there punctuality.

8. Make sure the Owner/Interviewer is safe in the Knowledge that you can be very flexible with hours. Obviously you are not going to be a slave but I would love it if you could be that flexible stylist who may take care of say the end of the day or early morning clients.

9. When you discuss pay obviously don't have the pi55 taken out of you but do mention incentive Bonuses with your Basic. Us owners love that because that means you work we pay beyond your basic opposed to you work and do no more on your basic.

10. For me one of the most important people in the Salon is the receptionist. A bloody good one will earn you £££££'s and more, therefore ask the interviewer if they have one and if so say you believe them to be important and you look forward to working with them. I would personally love that if you asked me this and then said that :)

Also if they are a good Salon Owner these are the sort of questions they should be asking you, we certainly would:

WHY HAVE YOU APPLIED FOR THE JOB?
WHAT HAVE YOU DONE IN THE PAST – SKILLS ETC?
WHAT ARE YOU DOING NOW?
WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE TO BE DOING IN FIVE YEARS?
WHAT ARE YOU LEISURE ACTIVITIES/INTERESTS?
WHAT DO YOU LIKE BEST ABOUT HAIRDRESSING?
WHAT DO YOU NOT LIKE ABOUT HAIRDRESSING?
WHAT IS YOUR MAIN STRENGTH?
WHAT IS YOUR WEAKNESSES?
HOW HAVE YOU IMPROVED YOUR SKILLS OVER THE YEARS?
DO YOU LIKE ATTENDING HAIR SHOWS?
WHERE DO YOU GET YOUR INSPIRATION FROM?
WHO DO YOU ADMIRE IN THE HAIRDRESSING WORLD?
DO YOU LIKE CUTTING/STYLING LONG HAIR?

I would be looking for experience,competence and whether I liked your personality. I would also be looking to see how well you would get on with the rest of the staff,and the clientelle.

Expect to do a trade test, she/he may ask you to do a cut and blow dry,or demonstrate putting foils in etc.

They will be looking for speed, hygiene standards, client care, attention to detail, and ability do perform the task in hand.

Just be yourself, dont try and be anybody that your not. Be honest and friendly and have confidence in yourself and i am sure you will be fine.

Most importantly you will need to decide whether you want to work for them.
I have been for interviews in the past and iv turned the job down because I knew I wouldn't like it there or they werent able to offer me the money i was looking for.

It works both ways . I believe you have to both like each other and have something to offer each other, and you will know if the job is for you, as the employer will have a fairly good incline that you are the person for the job.

Good luck.

Let us know how you get on.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Latest posts

Back