Interviewing staff for spa - tips?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loupy

Reaction score
Hi all,

Am wondering if any of you have any tips/advice for interviewing staff?. The position is for beauty therapists and I have never done this before :eek:

When I interview I have a list of questions ready, I ask for the candidate to tell me a bit about themselves (a short biography!), a bit about their work history, strengths and weaknesses, treatment likes and dislikes, ambitions and hopes for the future. I short list my favourite candidates based on skill level, experience, personality etc etc and trade test them on 2 trusted friends who I consider great judges of character. 1 older lady and 1 younger lady, and get their feedback on the quality of the treatment (usually massage or pedicure) and how they got on with the candidate. This allows me to see how they communicate with clients of different ages.

HTH :green:

I don't seem to get many replies to posts do I.....

Hi Loupy,

When I first started to do this for my business 4 years ago, I realized that it would need to be organised so I had the information I needed & the potential candidate was satisfied they had been given a fair & professional interview.

Once a position/s vacant advertisment has been placed in the local paper/s here, employment agencies send people on their books, so the agencies will be getting feedback to how it all went also.

First point of contact I prefer is the phone - I always encourage candidates to forward their resume regardless, either by email, post or fax & suggest a photo be attached also if possible. Gives a good reference base when you need to add extra staff down the track.

I let them know I will be in contact a couple of days after I have recieved their information.
From these I do a call back & go through a brief company outline & job description for them filling out my questionaire as we speak.

Keeps me on track & focused. Then I let them know I will be in contact within the week to organize a face to face interview.

The interview.
pm or email me if you'd like a copy of questionaire

HtH

XX J XX

Try to ask 'open' questions which will make the candidate do most of the talking rather than 'closed' questions which will just give you a yes or no answer.

An important question for me would be how many sick days did they take in their last job.

I would want to do a trade test.

I would also ask "what would you do if" questions, for example "what would you do if a client refused to pay/was unhappy/wanted you to do something you weren't comfortable with?" as these are real life senarios and it is harder to give the "perfect" answer to these as they wouldn't be able to plan answers beforehand, so would really have to think their way around these situations.

I would make it as informal as possible to put the person at ease but you would definately need to see a CV before hand to help you find any questions you may have about their suitability.

:hug:

Latest posts

Back