Intimate Waxing Insurance

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kim Lawless

Grande Dame of the Brazilian Wax for Men and Women
Reaction score
I'd just like to clear up some confusion around Intimate Waxing on men and women and insurance (amongst other things).

As long as you have a certificate that covers you to get insured for general waxing, YOU DO NOT need extra insurance to do Intimate Waxing. I've just confirmed this with a lovely lady, Dawn Davis at BABTAC, who double checked with her manager.

However, Intimate Waxing is a skill and needs to be taken seriously. Don't go ripping away at people's genatalia until you know what you're doing as you could cause serious damage and pain and end up being sued.

There also seems to be some consusion around what Intimate Waxing is. I've heard people call it 'an extended bikini line' which is totally incorrect. A true Brazilian is very 'intimate' and exactly the same as doing a male Brazilian............the only difference is that the mens bits are on the outside and easier to get to, where the ladies are also on the inside.

A Bikini Line is the hair outside the knicker line.

A Brazilian is the hair, inside the butt crack, the hair inside the labia and each side of the labia. The rest of the pubic hair is then removed leaving a shape of hair (usually a strip or a triangle) on the pubic mound.

A Hollywood is the Brazilian but leaves no hair on the pubic mound at all. It's all the hair removed.

Don't confuse insurance with HABIA guidlines as they are two different things and I would advise everyone to follow HABIA's guildelines for your own and your clients safety.

Hope that clears things up.

Last edited:
Don't confuse insurance with HABIA guidlines as they are two different things and I would advise everyone to follow these guildelines for your own and your clients safety.

I'm afraid it doesn't clear anything up for me. Have I misunderstood what you have said? Because it sounds to me like you are saying we should be following your guidelines rather than Habia's ?

Also, I would be interested to know if the training you are offering is accredited by either Babtac or The Guild as what you are saying seems to imply that accreditation is irrelevant.

Sorry if I confused you Zo Zo.....I've just amended my post to make it clear that I mean that everyone should follow HABIA's guidelines.

I'm not suggesting for one second that accreditation is irrelevant .........how ridiculous would that be! I've re-read my post and I thought I'd made that quite clear

'As long as you have a certificate that covers you to get insured for general waxing'

My classes are not accredited classes and don't say that they are, they are mentoring classes.........and this is made very clear to anyone who enquires about training with me. Anyone that trains with me has to already have trained in waxing.

I mentor people to become brilliant waxers, just the same as thousands of other trainers in various subjects do across Europe and the US. Whether it's beauty or someone studying piano or maths. Students come to me when they have their qualification and want to learn all the tricks of the trade and my techniques and to improve their skills. Just the way that people do when they've qualified to do nails. They do their training, then they book extra training or a one to one with an expert. This extra training doesn't give them any extra qualification, it just puts them ahead of the game.

I'd just like to clear up some confusion around Intimate Waxing on men and women and insurance (amongst other things).

As long as you have a certificate that covers you to get insured for general waxing, YOU DO NOT need extra insurance to do Intimate Waxing. I've just confirmed this with a lovely lady, Dawn Davis at BABTAC, who double checked with her manager.

However, Intimate Waxing is a skill and needs to be taken seriously. Don't go ripping away at people's genatalia until you know what you're doing as you could cause serious damage and pain and end up being sued.

There also seems to be some consusion around what Intimate Waxing is. I've heard people call it 'an extended bikini line' which is totally incorrect. A true Brazilian is very 'intimate' and exactly the same as doing a male Brazilian............the only difference is that the mens bits are on the outside and easier to get to, where the ladies are also on the inside.

A Bikini Line is the hair outside the knicker line.

A Brazilian is the hair, inside the butt crack, the hair inside the labia and each side of the labia. The rest of the pubic hair is then removed leaving a shape of hair (usually a strip or a triangle) on the pubic mound.

A Hollywood is the Brazilian but leaves no hair on the pubic mound at all. It's all the hair removed.

Don't confuse insurance with HABIA guidlines as they are two different things and I would advise everyone to follow HABIA's guildelines for your own and your clients safety.

I notice your original post has been edited to now say that we should follow Habia's guidelines. Thank you.

However, I was under the impression that we should have a recognised certificate for any treatment that we carry out? I personally would not have introduced Brazilian waxing without first gaining a certificate from an accredited trainer, and this is regardless of whether my insurer insisted on it or not; for me it is a moral obligation to my clients.

But are you saying insurers don't require you to have intimate waxing certification but Habia guidelines say you should?

Sorry if I confused you Zo Zo.....I've just amended my post to make it clear that I mean that everyone should follow HABIA's guidelines.

I'm not suggesting for one second that accreditation is irrelevant .........how ridiculous would that be! I've re-read my post and I thought I'd made that quite clear

'As long as you have a certificate that covers you to get insured for general waxing'

My classes are not accredited classes and don't say that they are, they are mentoring classes.........and this is made very clear to anyone who enquires about training with me. Anyone that trains with me has to already have trained in waxing.

I mentor people to become brilliant waxers, just the same as thousands of other trainers in various subjects do across Europe and the US. Whether it's beauty or someone studying piano or maths. Students come to me when they have their qualification and want to learn all the tricks of the trade and my techniques and to improve their skills. Just the way that people do when they've qualified to do nails. They do their training, then they book extra training or a one to one with an expert. This extra training doesn't give them any extra qualification, it just puts them ahead of the game.

I do understand this. But many therapists who are experienced waxers desire a certificate from an accredited trainer purely for their insurance. I am waiting for clarification from my insurers as to whether this is necessary or not. It's not that I doubt you, I would just like to hear it from the horses mouth so to speak.

I do not have a copy of Habia's guidelines, I shall seek them out, but I am under the impression that their guidelines do recommend accredited training and appropriate certificate.

Zo Zo...........I was merely quoting what BABTAC have told me. I was just trying to help as there seems to be some confusion on the site. Nothing more, nothing less.

Guidelines are just that.....Guidelines. In my opinion, insurance is what counts legally but guidelines are for safety.

I do understand this. But many therapists who are experienced waxers desire a certificate from an accredited trainer purely for their insurance.
We're going round in circles here Zo Zo. Therapists and experienced waxers should already be qualified and insured. What do they want a certificate in? I'm really confused now.

I do not have a copy of Habia's guidelines, I shall seek them out, but I am under the impression that their guidelines do recommend accredited training and appropriate certificate.

you will find the guidelines at the link below -

Code of Practice for Waxing | Habia

once you click on that link there is a link on that page to a pdf file which contains the info

xx

ps - off topic....here is the link for other guidelines from habia

Downloads | Habia

Hi,

Just to try and clear things up, the Guild states that you must have a qualification in Initmate Waxing, or Brazilian, Hollywood etc in order to carry out that treatment.

We do have a list of accredited courses on our site, including the Salongeek's very own Axiom. If you want to take a look, click here.

We do ask that the qualifications our members hold are from accredited training schools or nationally recognised bodies. This is so that we know where that qualification has come from, and that we are happy with the course content.

If there are any other questions, feel free to fire them at me!

Hi,

Just to try and clear things up, the Guild states that you must have a qualification in Initmate Waxing, or Brazilian, Hollywood etc in order to carry out that treatment.

We do have a list of accredited courses on our site, including the Salongeek's very own Axiom. If you want to take a look, click here.

We do ask that the qualifications our members hold are from accredited training schools or nationally recognised bodies. This is so that we know where that qualification has come from, and that we are happy with the course content.

Thank you

Hi,

Thanks for that. So does that mean then that if a therapist is insured with BABTAC and they want to do Intimate waxing, they need to go through the Guild to get another insurance for Intimate waxing, as BABTAC doesn't require an extra qualification? Confused !

Either Guild have higher standards than Babtac :lol: OR Babtac have misinformed you. Jmho.

Hi,

If BABTAC are happy to cover intimate waxing without a specific qualification, then you will not need to get additional cover. As long as they are happy to insure it, and you inform them that you will be carrying out the treatment, then there should not be a problem. Obviously, we cannot speak for BABTAC on their policy, and so this should always be checked with them first.

Last edited:
Hi,

If BABTAC are happy to cover intimate waxing without a specific qualification, then you will not need to get additional cover. As long as they are happy to insure it, and you inform them that you will be carrying out the treatment, then there should not be a problem. Obviously, we cannot speak for BABTAC on their policy, and so this should always be checked with them first.
Of coure. Thanks so much.........that's really cleared that up. x

What i dont understand, is, i have been doing intimate bikini waxing since i started out. Never had any formal training, but judging by HABIA guidelines Ive been doing it spot on, but i might not be insured...

waxing is waxing. same products same method. yes intimate waxing can be tricky, but i dont really see how its justified that it would require any other training to be insured. IMO it is down to individual competence / experience.

We all know a certificate sometimes means nothing in comparison to real experience. I was never taught male chest / back waxing at college, does this mean im not insured to do that...? But the tiny patch of hot wax i was assessed on is ample to insure myself? its ridiculous. (i dont offer hot wax btw, lol)

Professional Beauty, Helpful as ever :irked: Gave me the old "if you didn't cover it in your original training then you are not covered" GRR!!! I didnt wax fingers or toes in my original training, must mean i cant do that either then... :eek:

What i dont understand, is, i have been doing intimate bikini waxing since i started out. Never had any formal training, but judging by HABIA guidelines Ive been doing it spot on, but i might not be insured...

waxing is waxing. same products same method. yes intimate waxing can be tricky, but i dont really see how its justified that it would require any other training to be insured. IMO it is down to individual competence / experience.

We all know a certificate sometimes means nothing in comparison to real experience. I was never taught male chest / back waxing at college, does this mean im not insured to do that...? But the tiny patch of hot wax i was assessed on is ample to insure myself? its ridiculous. (i dont offer hot wax btw, lol)

I do totally see where you're coming from but seriously, if you are carrying out treatments that you are not insured for, you are exposing yourself to the possibility of uninsured claims. I know the certificate is just a piece of paper but I would really recommend you get one :hug: And make sure your course is accredited by your insurer :hug:

Last edited:
I could get my course accredited..........anyone can, but that means that I'll be paying out hundreds more each year, on top of all my other insurances. This cost will then be passed on to the trainees as the cost of training will go up and the therapist, regardless of how much or little they are earning will be slapped with another legality of having to buy more insurance. Then you know what will happen? Therapists won't buy that insurance because they can't afford to and then when they wreck someones genetalia, they'll be sued.

We're too much of a nanny state as it is.

My view is that as long as you have received formal training in waxing that has been recognised by any insurance company, you should be able to wax any body part. However, the responsibility is on the therapist to get extra training/mentoring on intimate waxing to avoid harming their client and to avoid being sued because they did some damage, simply because they didn't know what they were doing. The only people to win out of this are the insurers.

It's like saying that you can do extractions on a clients face during a facial, but if they have any on their shoulders, you need to get more insurance.

Right, off to work now.............late one tonight.

Kim is a trainer for Perron Rigot and also offers training to any qualified waxer. That it itself says a lot to me. I am insured for the waxing that I do and would have no probs in doing a training course with Kim even if it meant no certificate. The amount of knowledge that she posesses and hints and tips and tricks would be a lot better than some of the other courses out there. Perron Rigot wouldnt emply just anybody either!!!!!

Wax on Kimmi !!!!!

My view is that as long as you have received formal training in waxing that has been recognised by any insurance company, you should be able to wax any body part. However, the responsibility is on the therapist to get extra training/mentoring on intimate waxing to avoid harming their client and to avoid being sued because they did some damage, simply because they didn't know what they were doing. The only people to win out of this are the insurers.

It's like saying that you can do extractions on a clients face during a facial, but if they have any on their shoulders, you need to get more insurance.

Well put and well said !!!!!

Latest posts

Back