Intimate waxing question

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grace_Hair

Reaction score
Please help.

I’ve had leg and intimate waxing for probably about 3 and a half years. And always had a friend do it bar once.

I’ve never been particularly happy, even the time I went elsewhere.

I receive no aftercare, apart from what I ask.

Within a week I feel like I could go back to have another wax. There always seems to be a lot of hair on the labia.

I always have ridiculous ingrown hairs, despite body brushing and moisturising. I’ve also noticed in this heat I’m getting a lot of white heads round the area.

Am I expecting too much? But I hear people who can go 4 weeks between waxes. Although I wait 4 weeks I can’t wear shorts/skirts after 10 days and hate my boyfriend coming near me after a week.

Help? Is it me? Or is it the therapist?

Do you shave between waxes? That will be the problem. If you don't shave, And only wax every month, change therapist until you find someone who gives you a good long lasting wax. After 3 1/2 years we'd expect your hair to be softer and finer than when you first started to wax. You shouldn't be struggling with more than the occasional ingrowing hair. Are you flinching? This causes snapping. Your therapist should work with you to minimise your discomfort.

I wax my clients every 4 weeks. Their hair is about 5mm when they return. It's a struggle waxing them before 31/2 weeks because the hair is too short. Even my clients with hormone issues are hair free for 2 weeks. If your hair is regrowing quicker than this, it is snapping rather than being removed from the root. We had one client who insisted on booking every 3 weeks and returned to the same therapist each time. I was so concerned that I bossily took her treatment so I could see what was going on. I explained that she was actually getting waxed every 6 weeks - the hair hasn't regrown after 3 weeks so each wax was of hair from the previous wax. And it was long...She said that her previous therapist had told her to come every 3 weeks...I rebooked her for 4 weeks and that was the end of her short lasting waxes.

As aftercare, you should be wearing soft, lace free, natural fibre pants after your wax (on the day) and avoiding tight fitting clothes. Think soft, loose and floaty. If you are very pink after your wax you should have advice about aftercare products to soothe your skin to reduce the risk of whiteheads. Try a smidge of sudocrem for a day or two. I use a cold compress during treatments in this heat and follow with an aloe Vera based spray over just waxed skin and then afterwax lotion (I give my clients a sachet but most therapists will offer a squirt on cotton wool). Avoid the gym and getting very sweaty for 24 hours. You should be exfoliating at least once a week and moisturising after every shower. This will keep your skin soft and allow the hair to grow through easily.

Correct aftercare is hugely important, I've had clients come to me with major ingrowing hair problems and dreadful skin scarring and there's an improvement in just one wax. Because I ask about aftercare and explain what the client should be doing. And because my technique is more comfortable for the client so less snapping. I'm very thorough and remove from the inner labia. I have a good wax which I trust so I'm not nervous in this delicate area and I'm not shy. I'll cheerfully forage for the last hair without being rude or inappropriate, it's just careful hand placement to create access without "fiddling".

I must say though that my heavily overweight clients are tricky to wax. I make sure that I place their hands carefully to help me "stretch" the skin. Although I do my very best - they don't get as good a wax as my clients who are a healthy weight.

Latest posts

Back