Introducing a Newbie

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

littletink

Reaction score
Hi there. I'm new to the forum. I found it whilst actually searching for tips on how to remove acrylic tips safely and effectively.
I'm not a nail technician, just a working mum who had her nails done a few weeks ago as a treat, and then realised that the household budget couldn't afford for me to keep having my nails done, so I thought that I'd have a bash at doing it for myself.
I'd managed to get some factsheets from the internet about application of acrylic etc., and although I have a product to remove the tips, I wasn't quite sure on the best way to go about it.
So I found this forum, and have been so interested at what you're all up to!
I hope you don't mind me tagging along....

My name is Angela, I'm 35 years old, work as a part time medical secretary, been married for 13 years and have three children.

Thank you...xx

Angela
x

hi and welcome to the board ,if you are interested in nails why not do a course they are well worth the money and you can fit it in round the kids,it is a great career when you have got kids,and it is really enjoyable too, you dont feel like your actually working (well not all the time !!),take care love dee

Welcome! It's nice to see someone taking care to do things properly. Was your nail technician unable to offer you advice?

Well you never know, a few visits to this board and you will be hooked and signed up for a training course. I think that a large amount of the techs who use this board work their hours to suit family commitments.

Where are you located?

yes i agree with the previous replys this is an excellent message board lynda

Hello...learing to do nails is very good idea I think for mums because of the flexibility it brings as a job i.e. working from home or doing mobile as and when...If you want do your own nails I recommend you seek professional training either via a manufacturer (such as Creative Nails) or or with a college to complete the VCTC in Nail Technology...good luck with your choices

Thanks all of you...xxx

I will make enquiries at the local colleges, and see if they can come up with some sort of short-ish course. I'm in Telford in Shropshire. I'm not looking to do it as a career as such, but if I could do it on myself and make it a way of treating myself (something I don't get a chance to do very often!), and at the same time, if my friends want their nails done, then I could feel comfortable enough not to feel as though I'm doing a rotten job on theirs, then that would be great.

I love to see lovely nails - your hands are very much on show. I also think it would be fun/challenging to learn the basics - nail anatomy, problem solving etc.

The site is really great.....you're such a helpful bunch!

Angela
xx
Fab Freak said:
Hello...learing to do nails is very good idea I think for mums because of the flexibility it brings as a job i.e. working from home or doing mobile as and when...If you want do your own nails I recommend you seek professional training either via a manufacturer (such as Creative Nails) or or with a college to complete the VCTC in Nail Technology...good luck with your choices

Hey Angela.....
If you already haven't taken off your nails, the best way i found to remover them other then soaking the nails in acetone (which freezes ya) soak a cotton ball in acetone, and place it on the nail, then wrap the nail in foil...I find this much faster for the nail to be removed! Or you can also let the nail grow out...keep strengthener on the nail and file down the nail as you need too. I personnally think soaking eats away at the nail plate.
Good Luck to ya....And welcome aboard
Margie

Hi Angela,
Welcome to this brill forum where you will find out all you need to know. I became interested in nails in much the same way as yourself except it started as nail art for me and has progressed into the whole kaboodle.... well who can resist it.... it's fun, fab and amazing to be able to create beautiful nails not just for yourself but for others. I am also a medical secretary and am based not too far from you in Wolverhampton though my secretarial work is based at home as I work for my husband. I also have a little salon at home so I s'pose I've got the best of both worlds.
Anyway, just thought I'd say hello to another medical secretary........... HELLO!!!! :lol:

Thanks for your warm welcomes....:) . It's harder than I thought to find the training. I was hoping to find somewhere that did an evening course, but the only college I can find locally does this:

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Start Date(s) Feb 04[/font]​
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Day(s) Wed[/font]​
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Time(s) 13:00 - 16:00[/font]​

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Duration[/font]​
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Information[/font]​
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]12 wks[/font]​

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Tuition Fee(s) - £89.00[/font]​
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Reg/Exam Fee(s) £31.00[/font]​
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Costs (Other) - £90.87[/font]​

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]​

[/font]Which is awkward for me as I work during the day. Other courses that I seem to be looking at are several days which require a model - I'd struggle to find a model, and then they seem so far away so I'd have to either travel each day or stay in a B&B down there, with my model, which escalates the cost - and if I did find a model I doubt that I'd manage to find one that would be willing to travel far each day or stay away overnight. Shropshire Dawn...did EWD not offer some sort of training courses or have they closed down now?

Cmynails...it's good to hear from another medical secretary!

Thanks all of you...I'll keep searching......:)

Angela
xx

hi angela,
ewd wholesalers at tweedale, do courses for ibd gel, the next one i think is april, 3 days, its about £175, then about £80 for the kit and they like you to buy the lamp at £125 :eek:
i was told that they like you to have a manicure certificate now also, you will have to ask ewd.
tcat do manicure/pedicure/waxing it wont start until sept now, then there is radbrook college that do manicure/pedicure again sept start, 18 weeks, but they do evenings 6 til 9pm, both vtct or you could start with creative in birmingham or craven arms.

ps, have heard that bn have closed down.

ShropshireDawn...thank you for looking at that for me. I'll approach EWD first as they are only 2 mins up the road from me...and take it from there. Radbrook is only 20 or so mins away. Thank you so much for your help...x

Angela
x

your welcome :lol:

nailer326 said:
I personnally think soaking eats away at the nail plate.
Margie

Just have to jump in here to say that this information is not correct and soaking definitely does not 'eat' away or in any other way degrade the nail plate.

It does dehydrate the plate and the surrounding skin and should not be done too often, but with the use of a good botanical cuticle oil, moisture is soon restored.

hiya

have you thought about doing the creative 4 day foundation course, you get your kit included in the price and a nail trainer and if you struggle with a model the acadamy's do their best to help you out. Not sure on the price but i think it £400 is (kit is worth £80 and nail trainer £130 so its good value)
Good luck and welcome to the board.

Thanks all of you...can anyone tell me how I'd go about finding out where I can go for the Creative course?

Thankee....xx

Angela
x

closest to us angela is birmingham or craven arms.
ring designer nails in leeds: 0113 275 0433 they will send you a prospectus.

geeg said:
Just have to jump in here to say that this information is not correct and soaking definitely does not 'eat' away or in any other way degrade the nail plate.

It does dehydrate the plate and the surrounding skin and should not be done too often, but with the use of a good botanical cuticle oil, moisture is soon restored.
ok....."Eat Away" was a bit drastic.....but like you said, it dehydrates "dries"..so i have seen pealing this way...then of course you have to file the nail....hence even more damage.....sigh....but...they need that manicure every week to get those nails back in shape $$$ LOL

nailer326 said:
ok....."Eat Away" was a bit drastic.....but like you said, it dehydrates "dries"..so i have seen pealing this way...then of course you have to file the nail....hence even more damage.....sigh....but...they need that manicure every week to get those nails back in shape $$$ LOL

As there are allot of new (and impressionable) nail technicians on this site, we do try really hard to see that the information they get via the site is accurate ... sorry I had to jump in and contradict you but I did so in the interest of those new ones.

A soak off should not cause flaking and after removal I would do an oil buff with a very soft abrasive to really get that oil back into the nailplate and to reform that protective 'seal' that is misssing after wearing enhancements for some period of time. .. As you say, manicures create revenue too and it is all part of the service.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back