Introducing myself

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I thought seeing I had already started asking questions I should introduce myself.

My name is Kristy, I am a 33yo stay at home mum to five kids, living in Australia. Before I had kids I started a hairdressing apprenticeship but discovered that I am severely allergic to PPD. Since then I have tried a few different employment paths, mainly in retail. But never felt happy. The only place I was happy was at home with my kids.

But now as they are all getting older, and will all be at school by 2014 I decided it as time for me to decide what I was going to do with myself.

About 6 months ago my sister in law and I got some shellac and started playing around with it on each other. Then I decided to get some gel and give that ago, and found that I really enjoy doing it.

So a few months later I find myself absolutely obsessed by it and I have just taken the leap to signing up to do my Cert II in Nail Technology with ViVid Nails.

A few people have asked me why bother doing the course as my nails already look pretty good (no perfect but not as bad as some I have seen that is for sure), but I want to do this properly. I have a major dislike for people who think that just because they have an SLR camera they are a photographer, and I see this in the same light.

I am extremely excited as I feel I have finally found the thing I can see myself doing for a very long time. We own our home so i plan to set up a salon at home (don't tell hubby I am going to make him give up half his garage).

So I look forward to getting to know you all, and sharing and learning from you as well.

Cheers
Kristy

Hello,
Do you have a basic nail tech degree? If you're a interested in learning something different, go for it. When you open a salon, you want to be able to provide a scope of services. So, if you can do acrylics, gels and other services, you will be more marketable. Being more marketable means more $!

I have nothing at the minute. Just learnt what I know from YouTube videos.

The course I have signed up for covers everything (first module is Mani's and Pedi's. Second is Acrylic. Third is Gel. And Forth is Nail Art) and is nationally recognized over here is Australia.

I have never touched acrylic so that will be a big learning curve for me.

Welcome to salon geek , and well done to signing up for training , VIVid nails ??? Viv Simmonds? if so then im jealous! she is an amazing teacher .

:lol: Yes it is Viv Simmonds. But not sure if I will actually meet her. I do most of it on my own and then have a 3hr session with and Educator who has been trained by her.

I have been doing quite a bit of research about her and those whoa re Educators in her company and I am in awe of the work they do.

Latest posts

Back