invited to mingle with hairdressing clients, help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hippy-chick

Reaction score
well its my 2nd week in my therapy room and the person that I am renting from has suggested that I come downstairs into the hairdressers and talk to the clients, perhaps offer 1/2 price treatments if they want to come upstairs after they've had their hairdone.

she also suggested that I stay for the hours that I have put into the appointment book incase of any walk-ins, as I've been doing my appointments and leaving soon after.

my stomach is doing back-flips just thinking about it all. I DO NEED NEW CLIENTS, but I can't do the whole schmoozing thing. I popped down to use the loo and stood about for a few minutes and felt like a tw*t so exited sharpish. I just feel like a tool, and in the way.

she is only in 2 days and is doing her hardest to promote me to help me out. All my leaflets etc are on the counter in full view.

I told her that if someone walked in, I could be there within 10 minutes to do the appointment, but she said her staff may not have time to ring around looking for me, its putting too much onto them (which I can understand).

I know I've got to do something to get more people to know that I am there, and husband is photocopying stuff for me today at work, so will have 200 postcard size leaflets to pop through peoples door tomorrow. also going to laminate some matching A5 posters and spend tomorrow dropping them off around the place.

I just HATE this side of it, I would much rather have word-of-mouth, but need people in to start that ball rolling.

You know your situation sounds just like mine!

I don't hang around the hairdressing salon but I'll often get called downstairs by one of them if there is a client who wants to find out what I do.

As for your hours I stay at the salon for the duration, just in case!!:lol: I think you have to be there when you say you will otherwise not only is it expecting too much from the staff but you could also lose potential business.

Letting people know where you are when you don't have a shop front is tricky. I have just had an A board made for me (pick it up this afternoon!) and am hoping that will help some more. I'm also doing a charity event tomorrow night and always offer raffle prizes of a gift voucher, all just to get my name out there.

If you come up with any other ideas let me know too!!:lol:

hi Debs,

do you get many walk-ins?

I opened my biz with an Open Evening and about 30 people turned up albeit mostly friends and colleagues, but I got 10 bookings from that night and I gave raffle prizes away, glasses of bubbly and everyone got an info party bag.

I've got a school social evening this Friday and have donated a gift voucher and put some bathbombs in too.

I plan to give out more gift vouchers as raffle prizes to 4 of the local schools for christmas.

I don't mind if they send someone up to talk to me, or called me down to speak to someone.

Thought of offering free 10 minute hand massages one day a week for a few weeks, or half price back massage, something like that, for a limited period.

I know they would happily put little leaflets on all of the work stations and draw attention to the fact that I was in.

Got to realise that this is a business and YES I need to be there for longer periods. My books need doing for 2008 so could take my laptop over and have that set up in the second room but have my room set up ready for walk-ins/freebies/half price treatments.

What do you think would work well? Some of them are elderly and wouldn't make it up the stairs, but not much room for me to go downstairs to do the treatments.

I do feel for you Ann as I would imagine it is not easy to do this sort of thing if you are not natural around other people that you dont know.

However, when I went into renting my space in the hair salon I did take the plunge and migled with the other people in the hair salon and i do feel that is what made my presence there a success.

Try it out and see how you feel. It will make a difference to how successful you will be there. Making a business a success is as hard as hell and perhaps this is one of those things that you just need to do that you dont want to.

You wont lose anything by trying.

thanks oey,

(have you recovered now?)

so how DO you mingle? go up to people whilst getting their haircut and strike up a conversation?

I tried to do it today, and I know the hairdressers would help me out.

thought I would put aside every wednesday as I'm there all day, to offer either a free 10 minute hand massage or a half price back massage, what do you think?

just making little stand-up cards to put up around the hairdressers.

I have some elderly clients who can't make it up my stairs. so depending on what treatment they want I either sit downstairs in the salon or I book them up for a home visit.

Thing is I have to realize that although I don't want to turn any business away, I won't be able to please everybody. Having said that so far the only problem I have is that I don't work afternoons.

I'll let you know if the A board out side works and how successful the charity do tomorrow night is.

I think Theresa is right that we have to be a little brave and mingle with the crowd!:lol:

thanks oey,

(have you recovered now?)

so how DO you mingle? go up to people whilst getting their haircut and strike up a conversation?

I tried to do it today, and I know the hairdressers would help me out.

thought I would put aside every wednesday as I'm there all day, to offer either a free 10 minute hand massage or a half price back massage, what do you think?

just making little stand-up cards to put up around the hairdressers.

Yes - my feet have just about recovered - thanks.

What i tend to do if I feel a little arkward is sit behind the reception desk. Many of the regular clients asked who I was cause they hadnt seen me before so it was actually the clients that started the conversation. Because i was also visable, the hairdressers themselves also introduced me to the clients and I got into a conversation with then that way.

I offered the clients a hand and arm massage while their colours were developing so i wasnt then getting in the way of the hairdressers ( if uncomfortable sk the hairdrssers to ask thier client if they want that service). Becasue of my previous experience the hairdressers were happy for me to work on the reception desk and I also got talking to the clients that way.

In reality I found tht I was offering the free massages for the most one week as I was booked up with clients after that.

Your Wednesday thing sounds a great idea. What about a pre-hair wash 5 minute head massage? leave that one up to the hairdressers to intoduce to the clients so you are not making the first move and it may help the hairdressers out if they are running late.

steady now - my tummy is now doing double sumersaults!!!!

well I've just made an appointment to get my hair highlighted tomorrow so will be able to chat to the other hairdressers for a few hours and see if they can come up with any ideas for me.

I'm lucky that they really are a friendly bunch and seem happy for me to be there.

will suggest the free treatments to start next week so they have time to tell people about it, but think that it will be more like the ones that regularly book on that day will get the offer.

after the HD said about me staying there for the allotted time, it really made me think about it. I can definetly see where she is coming from and think that I will start to do that more. I suppose at least this is my first few weeks so learning as I go along.

AND it has made me realise that this is a proper job, not just waltzing in when I feel like it. Thanks for the comments theresa and pure.

I'm not a shy person, but I find I always feel like a cuckoo in someone elses nest and never feel really comfortable in someone elses domain, plus being a crab (cancer) like to scuttle along and retreat into my shell.

Have you offered anyone who has a hair appointment a voucher? Maybe £5 off any treatment throughout the month of december?

If you don't have clients in you could offer to make the clients in the hairdressers a drink and introduce yourself that way as an icebreaker, maybe whilst their colour is taking?

Have you offered the hairdressers treatments? How can they sell your services if they don't know what you offer? People are more likely to rave about you if they have had a good freebie themselves!

I do believe you should be in the salon all the time that you state you are open. I am just about to venture the same way as you and I have been watching my competition from my current office (the salon is directly across the road) and they are always locking up early..it looks very unprofessional. What if someone had driven out of the way to pick up a gift voucher only to find you have gone home??

If you do leave the salon during opening times it should just be to leaflet drop locally and for no more than half hour at a time..this way the excuse that you are out on lunch can be made which looks better than...shes gone home early because she has no appointments!

Hope this helps!

You have a captive audience really when someone is in the chair having their hair done! They are probably a bit bored and it would be nice to have you introduce yourself. Do not be scared as if someone approached you you would not find it at all strange.

I definitely think doing a little free hand massage would work if the hairdressers are happy with that, as that way you will not feel you are pressurising them into booking but actually giving them something for free.

If you know your treatment room will be free when they are finished you could hand them a money off voucher and a price list and tell them to pop up and look at your treatment room. Make sure the room looks inviting with a candle and some nice music playing.

People are nosey by nature and once they have popped up to have a look you have won half the battle as they will probably book in to make use of their voucher. You could put a space on the voucher that says it is "VALID FOR BOOKINGS MADE WITHIN ONE WEEK FROM......" and fill in the date before you hand it to them. This means they know they have to act immediately to get the discount. I know some people think discounts give the wrong impression but you are a new business and 20 people at a discounted rate are better than 2 full price! :hug:

I'm sure your treatments are great so you can be confident to sell them. x

This time of year is a great time to also promote gift vouchers as Christmas presents.

So
1. walk up to them say "Hi I'm hippy-chick, I've opened up a beauty salon upstairs" (sorry don't know your real name.)
2. Say "I am offering free hand and arm massages today as a taster treatment, would you like one"
3. At the end give them a price list and ask if they have treatments. Recommend your favorite treatment.
4. Invite them up to have a look at the salon when they are done and tell them you have a free slot for the next hour (if you do).
4. Give them a voucher telling them if they book this week they can have a discount.

OK I'm going to use some of these ideas! They're great.

I will give them a money off voucher for December and invite them to come up and see the salon too.

So far when new people have seen my room they all comment on how lovely it is.:) So hopefully that will entice them to return.

What about offering to do the clients a head massage when they are getting their hair shampood - it will give you the chance to chat more of a 1 on 1 without other clients listening when they are witing for their colour to take.

Just a suggestion.

hi everyone,

before I took the room on, I gave the hairdressers a full day with me to try any of the treatments so that they could tell people about them.
a few times when I've popped my head around the door, they've called out to me to tell a client about what they had, so they are really up for it.

we are just going through that gangly-getting-to-know you crappy stage at the moment.

I've made some stand-up cards to put on some of the desks to offer a free 10 minute hand massage for that day only. and will allocate 1 day a week to promote myself in that way.

I must admit to it really hitting me when the HD said about me being on the premises for possible walk-ins. With being self-employed and working for other organizations, I've become accustomed to turning up for that specific appointment(s) and then going.

The other clinic I work at employs a full time receptionist, so she's always there to make my appointments. I only go in 2 days a week and only for the appointments.

the HD really makes sense, and I think its ME that has to change my attitude, if I want this place to succeed, I have to think of it as a full-time job rather than freelance.

I'll run these ideas by the other HDs today as I will be there for a few hours getting my hairdone, and hopefully get some clients talking to me too.

Good luck Ann - you have a great attitude towards this and I have every faith in you making this work! Enjoy having your hair done too!

Hi. All the advise here is great! I'm in the same position as you and when I'm not busy, I help out on reception, which gives you a role if you are nervous around people (something to hide behind), the hairdressers really appreciate my help and in return now answer the phone with 'hello,------ hair and beauty', surprising how many new clients that has got me, as people do not realise we have beauty here at all.
Another thing that has worked is having little laminated menu's at each hair station, people get a little bored and always have a read.
I got together with the salon owner and bought an a-board, we have one side each, it works.
Also, I give the hairdressers an incentive, for every 10 referals, they get an hour of my time, you do need to keep reminding my bunch though!
It is really important (as you have realised) to be here, even if you are not busy. Get a laptop! It means you can do all the marketing, accounts and research from your room.
It takes a while to build up word of mouth. A great way to do this in your first few months is by recommend a friend. You always have to start off discounting, so offer them 50% off their next treatment if they recommend you, limit the offer though.
Remember to get client feed back, their suggestions are invaluble. I have this real habit of taking my business to personally and thinking if I love it my clients will - not always the case!!
Your best advert is your client, if she/he has had a memorable experience in your salon, they will talk about it.
Get photo's of your room and print out a treatment book. Put it on reception, people like to see the room lay-out, but quite often are a little shy to ask.
Put together some Christmas gift packages, print them out and put them on reception too.
Christmas is always really busy, November is always slow, people hold back appointments to fit in with busy schedules.
Good luck!

thanks Carrie and everyone else. I am really taking your comments on board here.

I had my hairdone at the HD;s today and had a really good chat with one of them. She strongly believes that I should be there for the times that I advertise my services.

She also suggested one of the days to do free 10 min IHM or hand massages, as it is the day that all of the regulars come in.

She also said that my face needs to be seen, the clients there won't think about coming unless they have seen my face, talked to me so talked to someone that has talked to me, and been invited upstairs.

I like the little laminated cards on each station.

On the reception desk I have a letter holder with all of my leaflets, biz cards and christmas specials on postcards. As they are upright they stand out more.

I've got a couple of teenagers doing postal drops for me this weekend and I've been to the newsagents and asked if they would post my leaflets with the papers (got to go back Friday).

I feel happier now that I have told them that this is such a new venture for me that I really value and appreciate their advice and comments. I also told them how I FEEL about going up to people in the salon and have asked for their help on the day that I offer free treatments.

She also mentioned that special offers on back massages go down a storm.

Going to read through the comments again and take notes.

thanks everyone xxx

Aside from what was mentioned by others, as a client I find that stylists and various cosmetology professionals just "mingling" with clients and one another creates an overall friendly, comfortable vibe. The key is to pretend that you are amongst girlfriends rather than seeing them as potential clients (which probably makes you nervous and like you're feeling something). Casually come up and watch as someone's hair is being done, even comment on how cute it looks and you'll be able to get in on the conversation and offer your services as well as establish a generally good atmosphere and make the stylists you work with happy too (if you make them look good, they'll return the favor).

I think the problem that I have with this scenario is that people are sitting getting their hair cut, they are a captive audience,

and then I walk over like a cheap salesperson and start badgering them into booking me, and appear to be aggressive and/or desperate!

I know thats a huge exaggeration, but thats how I FEEL I will look like.

Once someone asks me a question, then I am fine, can sell snow to the eskimos, but its the initial greeting.

the HD even gave me an example of what to say, and I was cringing and visibly shrinking into the chair as she was saying it.

Anyway, I have appealed to her generosity, and asked her to help me out on friday, so I will hang around all day and hopefully be able to walk people from the reception desk, to my rooms upstairs. Once I've got them willing to follow me, then I'm OK.

the HD is really small, their is so spare room for me to do anything downstairs.

thought I would put little stand-up cards on each of the work station and reception desk, saying something like:

FREE FOR TODAY ONLY
10 minute hand massage or Indian head massage
upstairs in the therapy rooms with Ann

or

Why not try a taster session in hand massage or IHM for free today with Ann

I totally understand how you feel about being afraid to come off like a cheap salesperson. I just wanted to let you know that from a client's standpoint, unless you start trying to sell right away, it's perfectly acceptable. The promotional free massage sounds good too. I think the main problem you're facing is the fact that what you're offering is truly a self-indulgent service whereas hair, nails, etc. are disguised as things one must do to maintain one's appearance.

We have a different situation in my salon but what i do to get clients talking is take them their own copy of our newsletter and give it them personally.

You then don't have to do a sales pitch but if gives them the opportunity to ask you questions if they are interested and is not embarassing for either party.

If you give someone something personally they will take more notice than a sign already on display.

Perhaps if you print some little flyers with say a free hand & foot massage with every back massage or something and say to the client 'Hi, i thought you might be interested in reading about my new special offer. Just let me know if you have any questions.'

Latest posts

Back