invited to mingle with hairdressing clients, help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
'Hi, i thought you might be interested in reading about my new special offer. Just let me know if you have any questions.'

thats very much along the lines of what the HD was suggesting.

I'm going in today and have an hour's treatment booked in, so will hang around in the salon a bit this morning and then after the treatment. Tomorrow I'm going to be offering the free sample treatments. I'm hoping that the HD;s will help to encourage the clients upstairs but I will try and keep downstairs as much as possible to engage them in conversation.

I think the HD sounds great. With all the horror stories you hear it's nice to hear about where someone really cares about your business succeeding & is willing to share their knowledge.

yes, I agree, although I'm doing a 3-month trial to decide whether its for me and likewise for her.

as we were locking up tonight, 3 of the HDs were around the reception area. I told them what time I would be for the free treatments and they were really enthusiastic about it, had a bit of a laugh as they were saying they'd be volunteering.
So, they said, if they were running late they would send them up, and once they've finished the treatment, they'll try and entice them upstairs for me.

I'll hover around, so that people can see me popping in and out all the time, plus if they have had the treatment then go downstairs and enthuse about it, they it will break the ice and encourage others.

I'm just happy that the HDs are encouraging and happy to go with anything I say.

as we were locking up tonight, 3 of the HDs were around the reception area. I told them what time I would be for the free treatments and they were really enthusiastic about it, had a bit of a laugh as they were saying they'd be volunteering.
So, they said, if they were running late they would send them up, and once they've finished the treatment, they'll try and entice them upstairs for me.

I'll hover around, so that people can see me popping in and out all the time, plus if they have had the treatment then go downstairs and enthuse about it, they it will break the ice and encourage others.

I'm just happy that the HDs are encouraging and happy to go with anything I say.

Good luck and I am sure you will have a great time.

Good luck. You will be amazing!
Don't put too much pressure on yourself. You have a fabulous treatment menu, a brilliant website and its ok to feel scared!!
Knock em dead!

I was once in a hair salon self employed and when I wasnt doing anything and the juniors were busy I would offer to shampoo their BEST customers - even though it wasnt my job to do so - it got the clients to 'know me'

they find out more about you - they get to like you and then you have a no push client ready !!!

I made some really lovely stand-up triangle shaped promos stating that I was offering free 10 min hand massages or IHM with ann upstairs in the therapy rooms.
all the HDs were primed to invite their clients to try a free treatment.

I was there from 11 till 4.30pm

I hovered around the reception desk, smiled and greeted people as they entered the salon.

I even invited someone to have a free hand massage.

How many did I do?

Go on then - how many?

but that 1 WAS a good un!!!

works as a dinner lady, lived in the village all of her life, knew all the people that I knew, so think she will spread the word.

said she was going to buy a gift voucher for her daughter's birthday. (not going to hold my breath though)

Well lets hope that the 1 will bring you lots of new business!

I had my hairdone at the HD;s today and had a really good chat with one of them. She strongly believes that I should be there for the times that I advertise my services.
I think she's right... it's no good you advertising that you're there when you're not (so to speak).

She also suggested one of the days to do free 10 min IHM or hand massages, as it is the day that all of the regulars come in.
I think that's a good idea, you need to entice new clients and the best thing to do that is a free taster treatment.

She also said that my face needs to be seen, the clients there won't think about coming unless they have seen my face, talked to me so talked to someone that has talked to me, and been invited upstairs.
Again, I agree... she seems to be a fab person with the right ideas and a good business head on her shoulders, learn from her, she's trying to help you :hug:

I like the little laminated cards on each station.
Fab idea

I think the problem that I have with this scenario is that people are sitting getting their hair cut, they are a captive audience,
Perfect :D

and then I walk over like a cheap salesperson and start badgering them into booking me, and appear to be aggressive and/or desperate!
To who? I think this is how you personally feel and not what the prospective client feels about you.

I know thats a huge exaggeration, but thats how I FEEL I will look like.
I feel positive that you won't give that impression.
All the best with it... I think the boss is a fab person judging by what you've said... there will be many techs/therapists jealous of you having such a fantastic person to help/guide you :hug:

HI Hippy Chick, the reason why you are not building your clientelle up as fast as you would like is because you are not visible in the salon. You need to stop hiding yourself upstairs in your beauty room and get out there talking to the clients. You may have all your marketing materials round the salon, but so many clients look at it when they are thinking about something else so it doesnt really register with them and sitting behind the reception desk is not going to sell your services. Without you realising it......you already have your client base, it is just a matter of you converting them from hair clients to hair and beauty clients. Another therapist could walk in to your position, see the potential and have a full column within 6-8 weeks. So how do you do it......lol. Firstly let the hair stylists know you will be coming around to chat to the clients and doing complimentary assessements on their nails in your down time. Go to the client, introduce yourself and ask them if they have had their complimentary nail assessement.....not would you like a comp assessement cos then your giving them a choice to say yes or no and you know full well that they wont have had an assessement cos you havent been doing it...lol. Give them a client consultation card and ask them to fill it in. This is going to give you all the information you need to win that client. Whilst they are filling in the consultation card you give the next client their consultation card to fill in and then you drop back to the first client to educate them about what is happening with their nails and why it is happening, you dont have to go too deep, keep it short and simple so they understand. Tell them the best manicure for them to keep their nails in tip top condition, give them your price list and £5 off voucher and let them know that they can have their manicure whilst having their hair done so it saves them time and they are not in the salon any longer than they have to be. Time is precious for the majority of clients. Once you have finished your consultation, go and make a note on the salon computer which manicure you have recommended then when the clients are making their next booking the receptionist can offer the manicure you have recommended. Move on to your next assessement and do the same. Set yourself a target of 10 assessements a day. I guarantee you will get clients booking. Dont get disheartened if some clients dont want an assessement cos some people just dont look after their hands and nails but at least they know you are there should they want a treatment for a special event. When your clients are booked in to have the hair and nails done together, all you need to do is grab a stool and sit next to the client and work on one hand then move round and work on the other with their hand resting on your knee. Other clients in the salon will see you working which in turn will prompt them to have their nails done. Many women see this as decadent to have two people working on them and makes them feel special......almost like the princess that they would dreamed of being at some point in their lives.....lol. This will really work for you Hippy Chick, you have realised your fear of approaching clients, it is now time to face your fears in order for your business to be successfull. Bite the bullet and go for it........You will be quids in, I guarantee.
David.

fab advice for a large salon set up.

firstly, I don't do nails, but am thinking of what I could offer them as an assessment.

secondly, their just isn't room for me to sit and do a hand massage.

thirdly, yes, I am trying so hard to go downstairs and be about, I will wander up to people now and smile and introduce myself.

I have offered free hand massages and although only one person took me up on the offer, its early days, I've only done it once, and I will be offering it every week to the run up to christmas.

I have thought about handing out quizes, or giving them a raffle ticket and at the end of the week giving someone a free treatment.

Hi

I think your all on the right track and will find it very rewarding with your attitudes and incentives.. I own a salon and have a room upstairs avaliable to rent out as a beauty room, can i asked you ladies for some advice (I only do hairdressing) how much could I rent the room out for 5 days a week? with It being a new salon I'm too building up clients however I will sure be pushing If i was to rent the room out and likewise.
Goodluck and I really enjoy reading your post xx

what i've started doing now is if a client has had her colour put on (by one of the hairdressers, not me!) and i am not in with anyone, i give them a free file & buff. i have got lots of bookings from this, as it really helps promote what i do, gives the client a chance to meet me and for me to give them an offer leaflet, plus theres lots of oohing and aaahing about their new shiny nails! also it really breaks up the 45 mins whilst they are waiting for their colour to develop :)

hiya,
did a double-take when I saw this thread up and running.

So, thought I'd do an update for you.....!

Its now the 6th week in business.
I have offered free hand massages 3 times and each time got 1 or 2 people taking up the offer. All have said they will book up but yet to see the evidence of it.

I feel a lot happier about mingling in the HD and quite often just stand behind the reception area or sit on one of the seats in the waiting area.

The HD'S are just brilliant, really approachable, very friendly, always willing to offer advice.

so far, have managed to pay the rent each week, think this week will be the first week that I won't have covered it yet, but still time to take a few more bookings.

I am trying to be there for my advertised opening hours, and finding it easier. Haven't had any 'drop ins' yet, but hey!

Sold a few gift vouchers, and am getting into the swing of things. Tomorrow I have 3 x 1/2 hour treatments straight after each other.

Rent wise, don't know what the going rate is for your are tbh but it seems to be £50-60 per week.

steady now - my tummy is now doing double sumersaults!!!!

well I've just made an appointment to get my hair highlighted tomorrow so will be able to chat to the other hairdressers for a few hours and see if they can come up with any ideas for me.

I'm lucky that they really are a friendly bunch and seem happy for me to be there.

will suggest the free treatments to start next week so they have time to tell people about it, but think that it will be more like the ones that regularly book on that day will get the offer.

after the HD said about me staying there for the allotted time, it really made me think about it. I can definetly see where she is coming from and think that I will start to do that more. I suppose at least this is my first few weeks so learning as I go along.

AND it has made me realise that this is a proper job, not just waltzing in when I feel like it. Thanks for the comments theresa and pure.

I'm not a shy person, but I find I always feel like a cuckoo in someone elses nest and never feel really comfortable in someone elses domain, plus being a crab (cancer) like to scuttle along and retreat into my shell.

I know this is an old post,but this could be me!!!!! I know exactly how you feel, I am in the same situation as yourself. I started in a HD at the beginning of Dec07. I find it difficult just hanging around the HD too. I'm just in the middle of printing some february flyers in the hope of getting more clients in. Gosh this working for yourself sure is hardwork!!!!!

Great advice, thank you!

Latest posts

Back