iPhone 12 and hair colour photos

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndigoBlue

Reaction score
Hello,
one of the great reasons to be back at work are all the before and after shots captured on your phone but since I upgraded to iphone 12 in lockdown,my photos are awful!!
The photos are either too blown out,too saturated or really dense and pick up on the bad split ends on the 'before' shots and make it look worse that it actually is.
That could be seen as a bonus but I cannot get a true colour match of the hair from what I can see to what appears on the photo.
I am mobile so I don't want to cart a ring light around plus I didn't need one with my previous iphone.
I don't know if there are adjustments i can make on settings but I am losing really good photo opportunities because of this.
I don't mind buying a point and shoot camera but I wouldn't know where to start!
Any advise would be gratefully received,thanks.

Hello,
one of the great reasons to be back at work are all the before and after shots captured on your phone but since I upgraded to iphone 12 in lockdown,my photos are awful!!
The photos are either too blown out,too saturated or really dense and pick up on the bad split ends on the 'before' shots and make it look worse that it actually is.
That could be seen as a bonus but I cannot get a true colour match of the hair from what I can see to what appears on the photo.
I am mobile so I don't want to cart a ring light around plus I didn't need one with my previous iphone.
I don't know if there are adjustments i can make on settings but I am losing really good photo opportunities because of this.
I don't mind buying a point and shoot camera but I wouldn't know where to start!
Any advise would be gratefully received,thanks.
Have you tried portrait mode? It's filters out the background but also gives you a guid for natural lighting.

Hi,I have just learnt that portrait blurs the background which is a great tool to know-especially being mobile and you have little power over the background! I will try this and hopefully get a truer result,thank you. I have tried just touching the screen to alter the highlight in the photo but I find it's too dark or blows out,really frustrating.

I’m mobile too, can’t help with phone settings as mines an old iPhone 8, don’t even have portrait mode! I have used apps tbh, not to massively change the hair as I’m not one for making it look much different from original, but it might help? Snapseed and blur are ones I’ve tried, (to blur background) or one to help but you pay for it is Airbrush? Might help you tweak it a little for now?

I’m mobile too, can’t help with phone settings as mines an old iPhone 8, don’t even have portrait mode! I have used apps tbh, not to massively change the hair as I’m not one for making it look much different from original, but it might help? Snapseed and blur are ones I’ve tried, (to blur background) or one to help but you pay for it is Airbrush? Might help you tweak it a little for now?
Thank you Tracey-I didn't even think of apps! I'l take look,I just want to get a true representation of the colours because iphone 12 seems to have b*ggered it up compared to previous!

Thank you Tracey-I didn't even think of apps! I'l take look,I just want to get a true representation of the colours because iphone 12 seems to have b*ggered it up compared to previous!
Yes I’m not keen either on photos looking fake, see too many where hair is white or pink where it’s been changed beyond recognition, I find as mobile- you don’t always get the best light, or like you say- messy back grounds! I’m also looking for new phone, hubby got a cheap one off Amazon and is far better camera than my iPhone lol

Totally!
The biggest fail is the instagram photos which are really edited and shown for an example of how a client wants their hair...usually impossible unless they have a spare couple of days and will keep up with regular maintenance!
I put this same post on a FB group and the reply posts showed photos from their phones which were obviously 'edited' -before and afters were the most obvious because it was the same background but a totally different colour but in the same breath saying they get good photos with theirs.
Are there any real colourists out there and not just ones that 'smudge' a photo to get the colour they want it to look like?? lol

Latest posts

Back