IPL vs electrolysis?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IllumeGirl

Reaction score
IPL in australia appears to be the latest weapon in permament hair removal..whats the diff between this and electrolysis?? Fors and against please?

Hiya
I don't do IPL but I am under the impression it is not permanent hair removal, it is permanent hair reduction. As far as I am aware this is because IPL has not been proven to permanently remove hair.

Thanks ZoZo. Am i right in thinking electrolysis does the permament job but IPL isnt as ouchy then?

Hi
Electrolysis definitely does the job but yes you're right it can be painful, although not everyone finds it so. Blend method can be less painful than diathermy. I have never experienced IPL but tbh I have always 'assumed' it would be painful, because all my clients who have had laser have found it painful and I have 'assumed' its very similar. Hopefully someone who has had both will come on and share their experiences. I have a client who is thinking of giving IPL a try so, if that happens, I will feedback to you :)

I have clients who have tried electrolysis but it hasn't worked for them. I think though that this is down to the therapist not getting into the hair follicle properly though, hence not destroying the hair at its root.

also reasons which it may not work, may be due to hormonal imbalance. :)

I have clients who have tried electrolysis but it hasn't worked for them. I think though that this is down to the therapist not getting into the hair follicle properly though, hence not destroying the hair at its root.

Electrolysis is a long term treatment which requires the client to keep returning to the salon. I have had electrolysis clients who have been to other salons where they have been told things like, ' you will need 8 sessions.' I was taught absolutely NOT to try to estimate how long the treatment will take, as there are so many factors affecting the result.

The following are quotes from The Encyclopedia of Hair Removal:-

Electrolysis is permanent. Results are achieved progressively with the client seeing a continual improvement.

It should be noted that contrary to some laser and light (IPL) marketing messages; both epilation (electrolysis) and laser and light (IPL) rely very much on the skill and the knowledge of the operator. Laser and light treatments are not an easy option and shouldn't be regarded as such.

Light based hair removal has not been proven to result in permanent hair removal.

And lastly:-

Laser and light hair removal systems aim to damage the hair follicle by heating the hair shaft sufficiently in order for the heat to diffuse from the hair shaft to the follicle and damage the follicle, this retarding growth.

That sounds painful to me, painful and very HOT!

I have had IPL on my underarms and I can confirm that is definatly permanant and definantly not painful! Compared to electrolysis it hurts less and you get results a whole lot faster. I think it has been said on here before that technically it is not reguarded as "hair removal" but as "hair reduction" because they can not guarantee all of the hairs will be permanantly removed but with electrolysis you can, providing it is carried out correctly. That is my understanding of it anyway. With IPL you get a short sharp flick of pain when the light hits you but it's literally like a camera flash, it doesn't really hurt. The worst bit is when they cool the area first with ice packs!
HTH
xx:hug:xx

I have had IPL on my underarms and I can confirm that is definatly permanant and definantly not painful!

With respect, this is your personal experience. But one could say, 'waxing's not painful' or 'waxing thins out hair growth,' but they are not statements of fact, they are generalisations that apply to 'some' people.

With respect, this is your personal experience. But one could say, 'waxing's not painful' or 'waxing thins out hair growth,' but they are not statements of fact, they are generalisations that apply to 'some' people.

Oh god sorry....
IMO it's definatly not painful.....is that better?!

Hiya

IPL is not hot and not dangerous

a test patch is done prior to treatment..this will decide what temp each individual can take regards to heat
this depends on skin type..the darker the skin the more sensative you will be

it can be permanent...but..hormones can re produce hair at a later time in life

one of my clients had upper lip and chin done 6yrs ago..she has had alot of probs with hormones in her later years, she has now noticed a few sparse hairs on her upper lip and chin(the growth is not as heavy as it first was)
so she has booked in to have a few more sessions...simple as that

what ever the equipment used..if it works it's life changing:hug:

jenx
Advanced Beauty Clinic - Warwickshire

I have had IPL treatment and for me it has worked wonderfully.
It does not hurt and treats more hairs in less time. After the first treatment I noticed a significant improvement.
As stated if their is a hormonal problem you do have to go back yearly, but from what I understand from electrolysis it's the same.

I was originally having elec. for months but there was no improvement (bad treatments from what I gather) and allways had bruising and blistering, with IPL the treatment is done and I walk out the door feeling that it was money well spent.

hi, i have had electrolysis done on my chin over about a 4 month period. From my experience, electrolysis is not permanent and while i did notice some improvement after first few treatments my hopes were dashed after subsequent 'hair counts' were not really decreasing, so i gave up. I am going to try IPL next.
as for the pain factor, i found it to be fine, althought the occasional 'prick' could be momentarily uncomfortable.

Hi Firstly I would say that you have to play the long term game with electrolysis. You have to wait for each hair cycle to come to the fore - recommended 9-18 months so 4 months is not long enough to expect a permanent cure. It does not mean that the other hairs were not killed off. IPL is good for hair reduction but some may need laser if they have darker skin types as it can be targeted more accurately - IPL can not distinguish so accurately between pigment of the skin and of the hair like laser.

Electrolysis depends on 2 things the skill of the operator and the quality of the machine. Machines offering flash can be very comfortable - more so than blend but you must be skilled to use it as it can cause damage. :)

Latest posts

Back