Irritating clients

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melek13

Reaction score
Im just wondering how everyone deals with clients who demand you give them discounts or free treatments purely because they think you owe them something because they use your salon? I have a lot of loyal regular clients that have been coming to me for over 20 years and I still have most of them on prices they were paying me 15 years ago. I do this as a mark of respect that they have followed me for so many years. But I seem to be noticing a trend of new clients who think they are owed something just because they give me their business. I don't know how to handle this situation, as it puts my back up and I feel like saying, just leave now hun. What do you all do?

It might be time to start implementing small price increases. If you haven't increased prices for 15 years then you have basically been paying yourself less and less each year.
If you have some clients on a lower price than others then this needs to be addressed as this might be why new clients are trying to get a better price out of you?
The new tax year is approaching so this might be a good time to announce that your prices will be going up by x amount in April.
I get my new price lists printed well in advance and start handing them out a couple of months before the changes. This way I feel I have given them lots of warning so if they don't want to return they just don't re-book. Also, by the time you get to the price rise, they have completely forgotten and just pay what you ask at the till.

How to cope with the cheeky ones? - well, I think just brush it off with a joke is best, as if it's not a serious request!
Agreeing a quoted price before service is good too.

Perhaps some other geeks have got some great one liners to try?! ;)

"If you can persuade my mortgage company to give me a discount then no problem" lol

Let them know you are giving them value for money, and try not to take it personally.

Explain to them in detail what they are getting for the price, for example it's not just a "cut and blow dry" your getting a proffesional consultation to make sure yoh get exaxtly what you want, a relaxing wash, conditioning massage, with high quality shampoo and conditioner, your then have your hair cut and shaped into the style that you and your stylist have agreed on and finally have it styled using professional products.

I know it's annoying when you get people trying to get things cheaper but if you make sure you don't sound patronising or condescending, then they will be happy to pay your prices.

It might be time to start implementing small price increases. If you haven't increased prices for 15 years then you have basically been paying yourself less and less each year.
If you have some clients on a lower price than others then this needs to be addressed as this might be why new clients are trying to get a better price out of you?
The new tax year is approaching so this might be a good time to announce that your prices will be going up by x amount in April.
I get my new price lists printed well in advance and start handing them out a couple of months before the changes. This way I feel I have given them lots of warning so if they don't want to return they just don't re-book. Also, by the time you get to the price rise, they have completely forgotten and just pay what you ask at the till.

How to cope with the cheeky ones? - well, I think just brush it off with a joke is best, as if it's not a serious request!
Agreeing a quoted price before service is good too.

Perhaps some other geeks have got some great one liners to try?! ;)

I think this is a good idea, then perhaps start a loyalty scheme, rewarding clients who come to you regularly. They'll feel that they are getting something for their loyalty and you can diffuse people who mention discounts by telling them about it. They price increase may well cover whatever incentive you offer. Just a suggestion, but I hope you find a resolution. Clients like this are so annoying.

I don't offer any discounts I charge for my experience and time

Latest posts

Back