Is 42 too old to learn hairdressing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilovelashes

Reaction score
Saw a similar thread in the beauty section. Realistically how long would it take to qualify/be competent and have i left it too late?x

Saw a similar thread in the beauty section. Realistically how long would it take to qualify/be competent and have i left it too late?x

I don't do hair but at 38 just done a nail course, and I'd say your never to old :) x xgo for it x

I can't speak from a hairdresser point of you but I can working alongside my daughter. Aged 25 and worked in a salon since she was 15 she is showing signs of wear and tear already.

It's hard on her joints, her feet, shoulders and back hurt. She loves her job and wouldn't do anything else.

I don't think your ever to old to learn, although I think it takes longer personally.

If you think you can withstand long hours on your feet and in good health then go for it.

A good hairdresser makes it look easy but with dedication, passion and determination then why not. It's not always about being young.

Best way to find out is to do a couple of weeks work experience in a salon. Hairdressing is a very physical job, not like sitting down doing nails.

Bear in mind that it takes most people around 5 years to become a good hairdresser, so you will be 47 trying to work a full column. I'm 43 and used to the work, and I am struggling physically nowadays.

It's never too late if it's what you really want to do. Even if you don't do it as a full time career, it would be worth it to gain the skills.

There are four older women, late thirties and early forties, taking Cosmetology (fancy American term for hair and beauty, hah) at my college, and they all get on just fine.

Best of luck if you decide to go ahead with it!

Thanks everyone for your comments. It didn't cross my mind about the physical side. I'm fit and healthy just now but I'm a single mum with 2 boys under 4 which is physically demanding. I'll have a think. Thanks again x

Latest posts

Back