Is a .co.uk or .com domain better?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CazCardiff

Reaction score
I have a new business name (finally after some time finding one!) both domains are available, but which one should I buy? .com? or .co.uk?
Usually I buy .com domains (I have a few websites for other stuff) but as its a UK only business, would .co.uk be better?

Many Thanks
Caroline
x

If I were you I'd buy both and link them both up. I'm planning on doing this if I can ever be bothered lol but I just bought the .co.uk to start with as it was about £7 for 2 years and the .com was about £20 for 1 year x

If I were you I'd buy both and link them both up. I'm planning on doing this if I can ever be bothered lol but I just bought the .co.uk to start with as it was about £7 for 2 years and the .com was about £20 for 1 year x

I had thought about that, both are available for £6, so nothing lost really! My husband is into all that so said he'll get them for me later rather than me trying to figure it all out lol.
xx

If you can get both...get both!

If someone just remembered your domain name and didnt know the suffix and did .com instead of .co.uk they could end up at someone else's site!

It's peanuts to buy both.

.co.uk = UK based
.com = Originally US, but pretty much taken as 'worldwide' now.

Personally, for a UK 'brick and mortar' company (i.e. somewhere with a physical location you're trying to get customers to visit), I'd suggest a .co.uk as the main priority, as it helps make it clear that you're UK based... but as others have suggested, owning both can't hurt!

Buy both, use the .co.uk and then 301 redirect the .com to the .co.uk .

I agree with the other posters...buy both and redirect them. Not a lot of cost to protect your brand.

Latest posts

Back