Is a 'Designer' Salon better than a regular one?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amethyst_Angel

Reaction score
Hello chaps!

I wonder if I could canvass some opinions on this, if I may.

I'm hoping to get my hair coloured and I am considering trying out the Vidal Sassoon salon in Leeds. I've never been to a 'designer' salon before - in fact I've only ever had my hair done at local places before (usually by students or trainees never even by one of their top stylists). Will this make a difference do you think? Will I get a better hair cut and a better colour?

I'm just wondering as I've never had a very good experience at hairdressers... it's almost like going to the dentist. :irked:

Many thanks in advance, anyway!

:hug:

Personally I would go on recommendation. I only started having my hair professionaly coloured last year and I went on recommendation.

Do you have any friends who have their hair coloured or acquaintainces whose hair you like.

When I first went I told my colourist I did not want to look like a tiger or a badger and I have been very pleased with how she has done it. LOL

I think what I am trying to say is that it doesnt really matter whether it is a "designer" salon or not, but it is the standard and skill of the person doing it.

That's a consumers point of view anyway LOL.

I ain't a big fan of paying for a name....

Sometimes i feel that i am paying purely for the flashy image than i am the quality and service.

I can see how these places would only employ the very best...as they have there reputation to think about.

But...I don't believe the very best are ONLY found in salons like these.

Thanks for the opinions!

This is very interesting!

If you're willing to pay "designer prices" buy a round trip air line ticket and come on over, I'll put you up, chauffer you to your appointment and you'll have the best color experience ever!!! It may cost slightly more than an appointment at a designer salon but it's the experience of a life time!!!

If you're willing to pay "designer prices" buy a round trip air line ticket and come on over, I'll put you up, chauffer you to your appointment and you'll have the best color experience ever!!! It may cost slightly more than an appointment at a designer salon but it's the experience of a life time!!!

Awww bless you! :lol:

Hello chaps!

I wonder if I could canvass some opinions on this, if I may.

I'm hoping to get my hair coloured and I am considering trying out the Vidal Sassoon salon in Leeds. I've never been to a 'designer' salon before - in fact I've only ever had my hair done at local places before (usually by students or trainees never even by one of their top stylists). Will this make a difference do you think? Will I get a better hair cut and a better colour?

I'm just wondering as I've never had a very good experience at hairdressers... it's almost like going to the dentist. :irked:

Many thanks in advance, anyway!

Hi!

To be perfectly honest with you the name of the salon means nothing...it's the person that does it...I have always said that you can go to a crappy back street salon and one of the best hairdressers could be working there, you could also go to a salon like Toni & Guy or Vidal Sassoon and have the worst experience...I don't believe in paying for just a 'name'. Like everything in the Hair and Beauty business...word of mouth and recommendation by someone you know is EVERYTHING!

HTH

xx

Totally agree with naturalnails and all thats been said,
there seems to be a communication problem somewhere between you and your hairdresser ,

it may be better to take pictures cut from a catalouge or magazine so you can show exactly what colour you want and lots of clear pics of the cut that you would like at the consultation stage ,

if it is not realistic for your hair type or colour then you and your hairdresser should be able to come to a compromise,

she /he should be able to show you some pics of what is best to compliment and be achievable for your hair type

doing it this way
you will know you are on exactly the same wave length as each other
and once you find your perfect hairdresser stick with her / him like glue
lol x good luck :hug:

It is so difficult to find a good hairdresser, im sure that they are all good at what they do but i need to feel comfortable with them ,,,,

I cant stand 'ponsy' top notch places where u pay loads and they look at you like your something they step on.

Once you find a good one hold on to her lol

once you find your perfect hairdresser stick with her / him like glue

Ooooh completely agree with this!!!!! :green:

I think you're right - I don't think I know what I want and so when I go to a hairdressers they haven't got a hope in h£ll of giving me what I'm looking for! If you see what I mean....

I think I must be a hairdressers' worst nightmare............................

You know what you want, you just can't explain it...that's where a competant consultation comes in. Pictures of what you want really will help, as will pictures of what you DONT want. Give them boundries of what is absolutely not acceptable and they will be able to come up with something you do want, even if you didn't really know you wanted it.....

I said this before to some one so if you already read it im sorry!! Make sure you see the colour chart. If its one where you can take the hair out and put it by your face even better!! Take a picture of a style you like and even if its not the same color say its black with red flashes you could say I love tis but insted of black and red I want blonde and copper etc!!! Also as everyone says go by personal recomendation!! Good luck xxxx:)

As a trainee hairdresser , i have noticed a clients perception of a colour or a cut may be totally different to how a hairdresser see's it.....it so hard when you have done a thourough consultation agreed on what is to be done...and thought you are both on the same wavelength when your not...for me visual aids are so important.....a picture of the colour and style....is really important.
although its our job to ask as many questions as we can during a consultation......you as the client also need to give as much information as you can too.....
you also need to trust sometimes what a stylist is saying for e.g if a colour is not going to suit you.....or even a style so the picture you bring in you may not walk out with that exact look.....one look doesnt suit all.....
if like you say you have only ever had your hair done by trainees or juniors...they may not yet be up to speed on their communitive skills.(they should but) so something is being missed out during consultation ...ask to see the senior stylist.

when i was hairdressing in a typical village salon I used to get people coming in quite regularly from a very well know hairsalon wanting to have their hair sorted out! as said before it the skill of the individual rather than the name of the salon x

My friend went to a well-known expensive salon and paid the best part of £100 for a cut and colour. I have to say that the colour was lovely and very well done. The cut was a different story, it was not good at all.

The name over the door doesn't count for much, I'm afraid. As has been said several times, recommendation is a much better way of finding a good hairdresser. Even if it means going up to a total stranger in the street and asking them where they get their hair done!

Latest posts

Back