Is an NVQ level 2 enough? Advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wantingtolearn

Reaction score
I want to get into hairdressing but wondering if an Nvq level 2 is enough? Or will I need to do the level 3? What is in the level 3 that isn't in level 2? I plan on doing the courses and then every 6 months go to a advance course to help me progress and become better

Hi wantingtolearn. You will find that most salons now are wanting hair stylists to have a level 3 NVQ, although technically it isn't essential. I did my level 3 a few years ago and loved every second of it. You do things like colour correction, more advanced cutting techniques, I did hair extensions as well and you also do more advanced pin ups and styling techniques. You could learn all of this by working in a salon, however, if you want to get insurance for it or go into something like educating, you will need the NVQ.

Hope this helps.
Natalie

They have moved a lot of stuff that used to be included in level 2 into level 3 now. I learnt all the stuff in level 3 in my level 2 qualification. I took 2 years to do my level 2 but now students can do it in 1 year so I def think students really need to carry on to their level 3 (hope that made sense lol) x

Latest posts

Back