Is anybody else falling out of love with beauty?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlotteI1992

Reaction score
Hi everyone

So I'm thinking of having a career change, I've been toying with the idea for a long time now. I currently work from home as a self-employed beauty/massage therapist and makeup artist. I'm constantly stressed, and find it exhausting not knowing what I'm going to earn week to week. There are so many beauty therapists and makeup artists in my area, and new ones popping up everyday! I'm tired of having to advertise constantly, and feel I can't raise my prices because I will loose clients. I feel that people are only interested in booking in for services when I put an occasional special offer on, and that people expect crazy low prices!

I spend so much of my time talking with potential clients or responding to people and chasing deposits, only for them to say I'll get back to you, when you know they are trying to find cheaper alternatives. I constantly have people say to me, your so lucky that you can work from home, work your own hours etc, and try to remind myself of this constantly. But it's harder than it sounds and sometimes I crave routine and stability, a job that I can go to and come home from without worrying. I've also fallen out of love with beauty, and the older I get the more I become less interested in the beauty industry as a whole, and the pressure it puts women under to look perfect all the time. I myself have become more of a minimalist and beleive that a simpler life will make you happier!

I have an animal management qualification and I'm thinking I want to work in this industry. I understand that any work comes with its stresses, but I'm 27 and want to eventually buy a house with my husband and in time have a family. It's really hard to buy when your self-employed, with my low income I can borrow hardly anything on my part, and from what I hear the maternity pay when you work for yourself is not that great.

I hope this rings true to some of you and I'm not the only one who feels like this thank you for reading, I look forward hearing your thoughts and opinions.

Charlotte x

Hi Charlotte I could have written this post.
I am fed up too.
Everyone around me says you are so lucky, you can work when you want and no boss. My wage is poor so no I am not lucky.
I have a salon on the high street and I suffer with daily anxiety, clients cancel the day before meaning I can’t fill the space, when I take a holiday I pay more rent to my landlord than myself, people always want a deal and want things cheap but expect the best products.
I have other skills outwith beauty too.
I am seriously considering looking for a job with set hours to give me my life back. I want to enjoy my days off without clients phoning or facebooking to cancel or book.
I think the industry is so OTT as lots of people doing nails, beauty, opening salons ..... it’s really hard.
Do you wonder what you would say to clients if you chose not to do Beauty anymore????
Even the thought of telling people makes me sick x

I think it's even harder for people like yourself @SparklesLeah because you have rent to worry about! That must be so hard. I work from home so I don't pay rent but still I can totally relate to you, you never have a day off because there's clients always in contact, particularly through Facebook! I always say if I didn't have my business I would delete it. What kind of job do you think you would like to go into? I think my clients would be completely shocked if I told them I was finishing, their so used to me nodding and smiling at them whenever they say how lucky I am I lie to myself and try to convince myself that I am really lucky to be doing what I do, when in reality I don't feel it at all. Are you a makeup artist to?

Thanks so much for your response, it's nice to hear other people feel the same x

Hi yes I am a makeup artist too. Although not much call for it.
It’s really tough isn’t it - I am seriously considering even taking an office job so I know how much I will get paid and so I can stop paying my millionaire landlord who is so arrogant. I asked for a rent reduction and got totally ignored. I have had my shop for over 6 months now and it’s a constant worry to the point I am struggling to sleep at night as I worry about the future.
Wish I had never opened.
Had more people cancel for this week . I am really good at what I do and get great reviews but it’s soul destroying.
I know my post is doom and gloom. Glad to have found someone who feels the same and can vent to.
I don’t keep the best of health either & I think I really shouldn’t be working some days x

I left my salon job because the pay wasn’t enough and they were constantly trying to make us bring in our own stuff verging into ‘self employed’ I have tried to do work on the side for myself but it just isn’t taking off and I am not that interested in constantly advertising so now I work in a car dealership

I left my salon job because the pay wasn’t enough and they were constantly trying to make us bring in our own stuff verging into ‘self employed’ I have tried to do work on the side for myself but it just isn’t taking off and I am not that interested in constantly advertising so now I work in a car dealership

Sorry to hear you've left the industry @Scrubadub - although I totally get the reasoning behind it. I feel for everyone on this thread, work is such a big part of our lives these days and it's heartbreaking to hear so many struggling with the anxiety and stress it causes.

Sorry to hear you've left the industry @Scrubadub - although I totally get the reasoning behind it. I feel for everyone on this thread, work is such a big part of our lives these days and it's heartbreaking to hear so many struggling with the anxiety and stress it causes.

I do a lot of my friends and a few regulars that followed me when I left the salon, I just don’t try to get new clients :) so still doing some beauty

I do a lot of my friends and a few regulars that followed me when I left the salon, I just don’t try to get new clients :) so still doing some beauty

Keeping your hand in then :cool:;)

Keeping your hand in then :cool:;)

Oh yeah deffo, there are so many therapists and salons where I live so it’s hard to compete. We are hopefully going to look to move in January and hopefully where we move to won’t have so many people doing beauty and I will look to do more. I do enjoy it :)

Hi everyone

So I'm thinking of having a career change, I've been toying with the idea for a long time now. I currently work from home as a self-employed beauty/massage therapist and makeup artist. I'm constantly stressed, and find it exhausting not knowing what I'm going to earn week to week. There are so many beauty therapists and makeup artists in my area, and new ones popping up everyday! I'm tired of having to advertise constantly, and feel I can't raise my prices because I will loose clients. I feel that people are only interested in booking in for services when I put an occasional special offer on, and that people expect crazy low prices!

I spend so much of my time talking with potential clients or responding to people and chasing deposits, only for them to say I'll get back to you, when you know they are trying to find cheaper alternatives. I constantly have people say to me, your so lucky that you can work from home, work your own hours etc, and try to remind myself of this constantly. But it's harder than it sounds and sometimes I crave routine and stability, a job that I can go to and come home from without worrying. I've also fallen out of love with beauty, and the older I get the more I become less interested in the beauty industry as a whole, and the pressure it puts women under to look perfect all the time. I myself have become more of a minimalist and beleive that a simpler life will make you happier!

I have an animal management qualification and I'm thinking I want to work in this industry. I understand that any work comes with its stresses, but I'm 27 and want to eventually buy a house with my husband and in time have a family. It's really hard to buy when your self-employed, with my low income I can borrow hardly anything on my part, and from what I hear the maternity pay when you work for yourself is not that great.

I hope this rings true to some of you and I'm not the only one who feels like this thank you for reading, I look forward hearing your thoughts and opinions.

Charlotte x

I know exactly the feeling.

I’ve been self employed 8 years i think now and it doesn’t get easier, you just get better at dealing with crap. But remember to practice what you preach, keep yourself cared for, have some massages and relax. If it’s quiet, appreciate it and get some exercise. If it’s busy, schedule days off.

Plan clients ahead of time, never let them leave without asking if they want to book he next one or you may never see them again.

If i’m feeling a bit crap about work I take a week or two off and then even a few clients seems fantastic and I get that enjoyment back as i get bored.

As for buying a house... it’s not actually difficult. I always thought it would be. As long as your partner (if you have one) has a stable income, theirs will be the main bulk of it, then even small amounts from self employment adds a good amount to affordability for a mortgage (am married to a financial adviser!). It can be the difference between a £220k house and a £225k-£230k house. My husband certainly couldn’t do it without me.

We planned to save a minimum of £20k and didn’t even need that. It is your legal right as a first time buyer to be able to put down a 5% deposit regardless of being on a scheme. Secret is to go for a 40yr mortgage then as soon as the 1/2/5 year term is over drop it down to 15/25year repayment. It gets you on the ladder with minimal mortgage payments and low affordability as it’s worked out on being able to pay the monthly amount back. A mortgage adviser will get you the cheapest mortgage and are usually so buddy buddy with the people selling the mortgages - an online calculator can give you an idea but is no replacement for a human that can work the system. They do actually want to sell a mortgage after all, that’s their job. I just had to give an online form of my past few years earnings and they said they will just use whichever is highest, so no need for averaging earnings either.

We have decided to move away (so my income will drop a lot) and get a big house instead of a pokey flat in our expensive hometown. So that is an option for if your affordability is low, but I bet you will be surprised.

I am actually looking forward to moving. At first I was so upset and bawling about not having a job but now i realise that it’s getting stale being here and I need to try something new. The not having to save so much means we are quite able to survive on one income if need be and we are by no means wealthy.

I feel sad for your posts that all have the same message. Nearly all my friends that I knew at college have stopped working in the industry for the want of secure paid employment.
A beauty therapist friend was working 8-8.00 OMG has now gone to work in builders' merchants and is so happy.
Regular hours, holiday pay and less stress when she dares to have a week off!
My advice is to follow your heart and give anything new a try, but if you could keep your hand in say with your "favourite clients" .Just maybe to add a little extra pocket money.
Also to add , why not do one offs, like wedding or special occasion make-up ? High earners and with your expert skills (Charlotte and SparklesLeah)
I think it may work well for you both. get yourself introduced to a couple of wedding venues and try to establish a contact as the venues' exclusive makeup artist.
I know I haven't contributed much to help but my thoughts are with you.

that’s a lovely post Rosie R.
It’s sad as all of us go through so much training but it’s clients who let us down by not showing up or cancelling last minute (I have had a few today and I wonder how I can keep continuing in business).
X

that’s a lovely post Rosie R.
It’s sad as all of us go through so much training but it’s clients who let us down by not showing up or cancelling last minute (I have had a few today and I wonder how I can keep continuing in business).
X

You are welcome !
If you could reduce your expenses and try being a home salon instead there would be a lot of pressure taken from you...could you do that perhaps?

This is such an interesting thread.

I really am a great believer in following your heart and do what makes you happy because we work for such a big part of our lives, you don't want to be waking up with dread every morning for the day ahead. I know this because I did it for years, although in my case it was because I hated my paid job (not in the Beauty and nail industry) and had always longed to work at home, for myself. I had actually trained and qualified as a Beaty Therapist and nail tech many years ago but only ever had the courage to set up part time alongside my full-time paid job.
It took major health scares for myself and my husband to realise that life is too short to do a job you don't enjoy, so I finally decided to give it my best shot. So even though I'm in the complete opposite situation, as I absolutely LOVE working for myself at home (I gave up my paid job over 3 years ago to open a home based salon), if you aren't happy doing what you are doing and crave something else, don't be scared to do it! (BUT, the only thing I will say is if you are thinking about looking for a paid job, really think about how you will feel about being told what to do from now on! I love that I can pick and choose my hours and even whether I want to do certain clients!)

Follow your heart!

I’m exactly the same. So many colour corrections ( no one wants to pay for) so much owed money, clients constantly popping in ( as I work from home as a hair stylist) I’ve totally fell out of love. I’m going on a nail course in November. If I don’t enjoy that .. I’ll be looking for a job elsewhere. Aside from all that , I have wonderful clients that have become fantastic friends. my husband left me ( last year) after 17 years and couldn’t have coped without them .. made work much easier. Good luck to you xx

Hi everyone

Charlotte x
I'm level 3 qualified in beauty therapy and nail services, I recently started my level 4 and have just secured a job with a luxury hotel and spa. However, since before I even began my level 4 course I have been slowly losing my passion for the industry. I love making people feel good about themselves but more and more I feel like I'm being told that I should encourage the negative to get money.

I'm level 3 qualified in beauty therapy and nail services, I recently started my level 4 and have just secured a job with a luxury hotel and spa. However, since before I even began my level 4 course I have been slowly losing my passion for the industry. I love making people feel good about themselves but more and more I feel like I'm being told that I should encourage the negative to get money.

Hi Rex,
At your young age , if you have no commitments and you feel like this I think you should follow your dreams. I have read your other posts and you mention famly expectations.. Well from what you say now I think maybe the time has come to explore an new career and "just do It!"

Beauty can always be returned to at a later date if the next phase in your life doesn't quite meet up with your expectations. There are plenty of use old geeks that can share that philosophy.

Take the chance and will either love it or come back to beauty with renewed enthusiasm. If you don't try something new you will have regrets in later life.
All the best
Rosie

Good luck with whatever you are going to choose.

Latest posts

Back