is anyone airbrushing instead of HVPL?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minky06

Reaction score
does anyone use an airbrush for tanning instead of hvpl? Im debating which system to go for and wondered if anyone is using an airbrush? I have just been trained using airbrush and hoping i dont need to retrain using HVPL?
hope someone can help have posted a few times!!!
thanks in advance:o

I have done both. I trained with Su-Do in airbrushing back in 2004 and used this method successfully in my salon. I no longer have a salon but am now a mobile tech and use a HVLP system to spray tan.

I did not need to retrain just practice, practice, practice. Once I had mastered the settings on the gun it was plain sailing. I now find the HVLP much quicker and easier to use and would not choose to go back to airbrush tanning.

Last edited:
Agree with pink ronnie! HVLP only way to go

I personally find the result of an airbrushed tan far more refined and superior, but understand that HVLP gives some people the speed they desire. (I do have HVLP as well, ready for use on clients request, but they never want it!

I now use a Eclipse G6 airgun with compressor, which gives airbrushed results with better speed, and have got the best reputation for tanning for a long long distance in my parts. Some of my regualar clients are travelling 35-40 miles with occasionals travelling further, as they find the experience more pleasant and the result better. I also use far less solution so bonus for me! :D

I personally find the result of an airbrushed tan far more refined and superior, but understand that HVLP gives some people the speed they desire. (I do have HVLP as well, ready for use on clients request, but they never want it!

I now use a Eclipse G6 airgun with compressor, which gives airbrushed results with better speed, and have got the best reputation for tanning for a long long distance in my parts. Some of my regualar clients are travelling 35-40 miles with occasionals travelling further, as they find the experience more pleasant and the result better. I also use far less solution so bonus for me! :D

I get the same results from the fuji HVLP Tan Salon System, its such a fine mist that the coverage is excellent, I do 2 fine sprays for best results and still only use a minimal amount of solution, I think it work out to be about 30-40% less than a standard HVLP machine. Machin is a little more expensive to buy, it cost me £700 but worth every penny as you do get what you pay for.

I used an Airbrush for the first few years and it was fabulous, Agree with Zingara. Great finish, bit slow though for mobile tans. Went over to HVLP and use it all the time now but still wish that I could go back to Airbrush. Defenitley my preferred method. Didnt retrain as once you know what to do and what to lok for whilst spraying it all works out fine. Practice on a few friends to gain confidence and dont panic when it seems to be too much coverage all at once. Just dont oversparay. I find that a couple of lighter coats are a LOT better than one heavy coat ( Might be my Airbrush background though)

Good luck

thanks guys, im getting my kit tomorrow and am having visions of really powerfull spray coming out lol. I was taught to go round in circles with the airbrush but have heard that its best to go up and down with HVLP?

I've been looking around at different compressors and it's good to hear you are having such great results with yours. Do you advertise that you airbrush? I was thinking of using this as an advertising thing when I get mine considering it's just gone spring here and I live across the road from the beach. Thought it might be a more unique advertising angle than just the standard spray tan.

Yes, I always use phrases like 'airbrushed tan' or 'airbrush misted onto your skin for a perfect finish' in my adverts and website, and find that it sets an expectation of a great result, which of course they get!

Yes, I always use phrases like 'airbrushed tan' or 'airbrush misted onto your skin for a perfect finish' in my adverts and website, and find that it sets an expectation of a great result, which of course they get!

Zingara I tried to PM you but it won't let me.....anywho....I was just wanting to know if you use a different technique to airbrush? I remember someone mentioned on here the other day that they airbrushed in a circular motion.

I turned off pm's cos I was getting so many every day asking me questions that really should be in the forums....this place is where we are supposed to share info in the open for everyone to benefit from in my opinion (plus, somedays there would be literally hours worth of answering to do, which I just couldn't do justice to time-wise....and some people were so rude if I didn't answer immediately...it kind of puts you off!)

My compressor has a double outlet and I have both a traditional airbrush and, as I said, the G6 Airgun attached, which is a small gun but with airbrush working style and results. I use circular motions for the airbrush, but the airgun gives a larger spray pattern and so on larger area's such as the back I still use a circular movement, but can do sweeping straight lines on smaller area's such as legs and arms. The airgun saves me about half the time.

I use the Airgun 90% of the time, and turn to the airbrush if i want contour or highlight (something else thats not really acheivable that easily with a HVLP)

Thanks for that. I just didn't want the OP to think I was hijacking her thread. I suppose it'll depend on what I end up buying as I'm still looking around at the moment to see what's available. The ones I've been looking at have the airguns so not much of a variation then. I haven't really been able to find much on youtube etc on spraying style except for one that you could see had so much overspray you could almost stand another person behind her and do 2 tans at once :eek:

I used the airbrush method long before the hvlp came on the market and got great results.

There is no denying that the hvlp is much quicker and easier ( you have to be far more precise with the airbrush) but for definition the airbrush is unbeatable. You can shade and "sculpt" with an airbrush with fantastic effects!

Also, as an aside, you can do really pretty, funky body art with the airbrush which is really popular, especially around holiday and party time!

Latest posts

Back