Is anyone else an 'older' apprentice?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redsadie

Reaction score
Just wondering :green:

I am 35 so after my 2 years, I will be qualified, making me 37 :eek:

Sarah. xx

Sarah. xx

You're never too old Sarah.... :)

I started out in this business when I turned 42 and I am now 47 and loving every minute of it :)

I was 35 when i started out and found it to be an advantage to me as most clients prefer their therapists to be slightly older,
i myself would not want a treatment performed by a therapist under 25, sorry to the younger therapists, no offence is meant at all but i would feel more comfortable with an older therapist hth

Jen's right.. you're never too old. I decided I wanted to be a nail tech when I was 29 and now I'm 35. When I opened my nail bar the same year I was afraid the clients wouldn't have confidence in me as I was a newbie, but 'cause of my age they just assumed I was doing nails for years.. one good thing about being older I susppose ha ha :)

Sarah. xx

Ha ha, I'm in the exact same boat as you. Have just started my training this month.
Good luck,
Claire xx

Thanks girls :)

I am a late bloomer :green: I have been office based the last few years of my life, done a 2 year stint in an elderly mental health unit and the odd Mcdonalds job here n there, worked in a petrol station, various bits n pieces over my time.

I only realised I was a creative type when I started making jewellery a few years ago and then started to wonder what I actually wanted to do. Considered opening a bead shop but financing that was a non starter so I thought about all the times I'd had my nails done. I knew the first day I had a set I could do it, so after building up my money I booked my course with Creative! In the meantime, people had been laid off from my place of work (This April) so I decided to learn something while I was waiting for my Creative course to begin. I took courses in spray tanning and waxing and so glad I did, cos I got laid off in August just before my nail course was abaout to start!

Anyway, I rent a room in my friends hair salon and she introduced me to the idea of apprenticing. I thought I was too old, but when I spoke to the lady at the college he said they had relaxed the rules this September just gone (lucky for me!).

So that's why I asked about hair apprenticing in particular as I know there are many people out there who start their careers later, just strange to find myself being an aprentice at 35! :)

I'm so looking forward to it and feel I'm better placed in my life now and have the maturity to learn because I want to, not because I'm being told I have to :green:

xx

Blimey! You old codger!!!!!

I started out in nails when I was 41, I'm now 46 :lol: Shhh, don't say it out loud! Lol xx

I'm nearly 31 and I haven't even started yet - would like to be an apprentice though! Knowing that this is something you really want to do has got to be an advantage, as well as all the skills you've learned in previous jobs. I would love to do hair but hadn't really thought seriously about it until very recently as I thought only whippersnappers could do hair training!

Last yr I was the manager of a hair, nails & beauty salon and we had an older Massage therapist who was difficault to work with as it was a fairly young salon and she didnt like that. I was asked if I would take a girl on work exp. I said no but the 'girl' came in anyway and turned out to be my friends Mum! She was brill! she had a calmness that balanced the hair salon, a gr8 work ethic and genuinely didnt care if she swept or dusted. I found her refreshing to have around and def would have given her a job when she qualified. I was the manager and I was 26 and she prob could have told me a thing or two and I wouoldnt have minded at all.

you are never too old haha im only 23 and i say GO FOR IT. . . as long as you keep your skills updated and are willing to learn, you CAN DO THIS at any age. i have alot of respect for people who do it later in life rather than wondering what if years down the line. your gonna have a blast. . .x

Thanks for al the comments and encouragement girls :hug:

Just got another little obstacle (in the nicest sense :)) out of the way, I wondered what I could do with my little 7 year old after school on a Tuesday when I'm at college til 5. My local after school club has just said they have a place for her so hubby can pick her up and I don't have to break my neck :green:

xx

i was 35 when i started hair level 1 last year, so level 2 36 and level 3 37 will nearly be 38 when i fully qualify as a hair dresser......and love it.....really really enjoying it and at my age i love the theory and the practical, and the assignments arent a chore....cause i love everybit of it
i had the same prob when i started with the kids...finishing at 5 etc...luckily have a great after school club for the youngest too.:hug:
you will really enjoy it

Hey, good luck to you! I started training at 28, qualified the following year. I think because you're more motivated you can easily pass quicker as an older apprentice. Have fun!:hug:

Your ever to old to learn new things, if it is something you are genuinly interested in!

I am doing my level 2 at the moment and on my course we have 3 older ladies, 1 is 47 one 48 and 1 is 51....they love it!

i was 35 when i started hair level 1 last year, so level 2 36 and level 3 37 will nearly be 38 when i fully qualify as a hair dresser......and love it.....really really enjoying it and at my age i love the theory and the practical, and the assignments arent a chore....cause i love everybit of it
i had the same prob when i started with the kids...finishing at 5 etc...luckily have a great after school club for the youngest too.:hug:
you will really enjoy it

I think that's an excellent point Joanne. I was 35 when I did my first nail course and although going back to the classroom at my age was a bit daunting to begin with, I threw myself in to it wholeheartedly. You could tell the younger girls were much less enthusiastic and didn't bother practising, although I'm sure this isn't always the case.

I think you are right about it being fun and not a chore :)

Although I have to say, being a 'junior' is absolutely knackering!!! I'm about ready for my bed when I step through my fromt door :lol:

I hope all us 'oldies' are an inspiration :green:

xx

Latest posts

Back