Is anyone selfemployed in a Salon? (rent a space)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

g5m_sh

Reaction score
Hiya!

Just wantin to know if anyone is self employed in a Salon. I need some idea's on how to work things out...

• Do you rent the space for £x.xx per day?
  • Take a % of the takings?
  • Give the Salon a % of the taking?
  • Other...
I am starting in a Salon soon and the owner has asked how i want to work things, and i really really dont know what to do.

How do you's guys do it? Can you give me some advice.

Thanks xxxxx:hug:

i rent space, i pay my rent 4 weekly, there's no profit sharing. self employed means your business so you do the work you get the money, i know some people do profit sharing and joint advertising etc... but i think that really confuses matters, if you can keep it as simple as poss it will save trouble in the long run.
one thing i keep reading is people renting space for nails and beauty and then having their hours dictated by the hairdressers they rent from....also make your own appointments as only you know how long it will take you to do different treatments and also when you want your breaks, good luck with it all hun hth xxx

H there
I also rent a beauty room, mine is in a tanning salon.
I pay £100 a week and work 11-8 4 days a week and saturday 11-6.
Just a few hints, buy a rent book and get the person you are renting from to sign it every week. (i get mine from wh smiths)
also agree on bank holidays etc, from example if its a bank hol i only work a 4 day week so i pay £80 that week.

Hope this helps you.
If you have any more questions about anything i will gladly help you.
Emma x
:hug:​

hiya, i'm self employed at a salon. i think it depends how new you are to the industry.

this is my first nail workplace since qualifying so dont have many clients yet. i didn't really want to pay rent when most days i have no clients so i take 60% of whatever i earn and the salon takes the rest. a lot of ppl have advised me against this but until i build up my client base this works best for me.

i still choose when i come in and what hrs i work etc and can come and go as i please. i provide all my own products but they let me use their cotton wool and occasionally the parrafin wax. plus, i get very cheap hair colouring and free blow drys!!

eventually i'd like to be paying rent and keeping all my takings but for now this is best for me as i'm not paying out when i have no clients paying me!!

hth xxx

hiya, i'm self employed at a salon. i think it depends how new you are to the industry.

this is my first nail workplace since qualifying so dont have many clients yet. i didn't really want to pay rent when most days i have no clients so i take 60% of whatever i earn and the salon takes the rest. a lot of ppl have advised me against this but until i build up my client base this works best for me.

i still choose when i come in and what hrs i work etc and can come and go as i please. i provide all my own products but they let me use their cotton wool and occasionally the parrafin wax. plus, i get very cheap hair colouring and free blow drys!!

eventually i'd like to be paying rent and keeping all my takings but for now this is best for me as i'm not paying out when i have no clients paying me!!

hth xxx

Do you supply the products or the Salon? x

I rent a room in a salon and pay £120 per week which is inclusive of all bills. I'm really pleased with that arrangement as I don't answer to them. I have a key now so if I really wanted to do a treatment say on a Sunday morning, that's fine. Yes, it is a bummer when you hand over the rent when I go on holiday, knowing that's dead money but the way I see it is that they have all the worry and the upkeep of their salon and you can't have it all ways, so I'm grateful for what I've got.

By the way, they don't make my appointments and I work totally independently from them.

I would never pay a % as on the one hand you could be handing over a lot of money each week and on the other, they won't like it if you're off or not taking much.

Do you supply the products or the Salon? x

i take all my own stuff. i have 3 cases that i take on a thurs and leave there til the sat then take them home. i use their pedicure bowl and they take my apps as they know how long to book out for treatments and i can't take calls in the week as i have another job.

I rent a room in a salon and pay £120 per week which is inclusive of all bills. I'm really pleased with that arrangement as I don't answer to them. I have a key now so if I really wanted to do a treatment say on a Sunday morning, that's fine. Yes, it is a bummer when you hand over the rent when I go on holiday, knowing that's dead money but the way I see it is that they have all the worry and the upkeep of their salon and you can't have it all ways, so I'm grateful for what I've got.

By the way, they don't make my appointments and I work totally independently from them.

I would never pay a % as on the one hand you could be handing over a lot of money each week and on the other, they won't like it if you're off or not taking much.

How many days do you work in the salon?
x

i rent space, i pay my rent 4 weekly, there's no profit sharing. self employed means your business so you do the work you get the money, i know some people do profit sharing and joint advertising etc... but i think that really confuses matters, if you can keep it as simple as poss it will save trouble in the long run.
one thing i keep reading is people renting space for nails and beauty and then having their hours dictated by the hairdressers they rent from....also make your own appointments as only you know how long it will take you to do different treatments and also when you want your breaks, good luck with it all hun hth xxx

How much do you pay per day and how many days do you work? x

Gemma,
which one have you decided to go for?

I work on a 50/50 basis at the moment in an established nail salon, they supply products and advertising and clients! I turn up work and take 50% it works fine for me, as it happens I am leaving to move now.....had I of stayed my 50/50 would be reviewed once I was earning a certain amount and had a client base so to speak, then I would have gone onto desk rent of 150 per week

Well done you on finding a salon am sure you will love it!!

xxxx

im selfemployed in my friends salon & we do it 60% to me 40% to her !!! which is realy good as she supplys products as well !!! got my self a good deal!
xx

I am a salon owner In the us. WhenI first started doing nails I worked for someone else untill I knew what I was doing and then later I move into my own salon and took my clients with me. I would work on a commision base at first at 55% and have her furnish the supplies, and you buy your owntools. When You leave your tools go with you.

I feel it is in the best interest of the salon if the nail tech uses the supplies she is most comfortable with. since you are the one doing the service. Just tell her what you need.
but be frugal with it and don't waste it. Take care of everything and she will respect you, and realize that you have both your interest at heart. If there are other nail techs working there you might have to use what the salon already uses. But that could be an advantage to you. Because they can teach you how to use it. You are never to good to learn. I have been doing nails for 25 years and I learn stuff all the time I never knew before.
Classes, classes, classes. You can never get enough. CND has the best classes, and the best support ever.
Hiya!
Good Luck to you
Tess Walters
Puttin On The Nails

Just wantin to know if anyone is self employed in a Salon. I need some idea's on how to work things out...

• Do you rent the space for £x.xx per day?
  • Take a % of the takings?
  • Give the Salon a % of the taking?
  • Other...
I am starting in a Salon soon and the owner has asked how i want to work things, and i really really dont know what to do.

How do you's guys do it? Can you give me some advice.

Thanks xxxxx:hug:

im selfemployed in my friends salon & we do it 60% to me 40% to her !!! which is realy good as she supplys products as well !!! got my self a good deal!
xx

do you split the profit or price of the treatment? x

Gemma,
which one have you decided to go for?

The one in Darlo...

I am dead nerves!

Just tryin to sort stuff out so i can starts in the new year.

x

I thought that was the one you were veering towards.

good luck!

Latest posts

Back