Is anyone starting college in September?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same I havnt even had any financial forms yet and I dont get my kit forms till 2 weeks before college so dunno if ill get my stuff in time! Oh and also no childcare for the first month ha going to be fun x

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

hi ya
the financial forms are in now i went in got one tuesday.
with the file and paint file from side to centre, base coat, 2 coats colour then top coat :) good luck

hi ya
the financial forms are in now i went in got one tuesday.
with the file and paint file from side to centre, base coat, 2 coats colour then top coat :) good luck

I went in Tuesday and they said they weren't in! Student services seem to be a bit useless there always telling me different things:confused: thanks ill go get them today x

Oh my gosh, panic stations!!! My college sent me a former with my course details and a date for enrolment etc and it says I'm on the Level 2 VRQ in hairdressing. I applied for the NVQ which I thought I would be on, but apparently all the colleges are moving over to the VRQ instead of the NVQ.

But I've done some research and apparently employers won't employ someone with a VRQ, they only want people who have trained to NVQ standard. When I called the college to question this I was told not to be silly and they said what they'd said before.

Can anyone help please? Xx

Oh my gosh, panic stations!!! My college sent me a former with my course details and a date for enrolment etc and it says I'm on the Level 2 VRQ in hairdressing. I applied for the NVQ which I thought I would be on, but apparently all the colleges are moving over to the VRQ instead of the NVQ.

But I've done some research and apparently employers won't employ someone with a VRQ, they only want people who have trained to NVQ standard. When I called the college to question this I was told not to be silly and they said what they'd said before.

Can anyone help please? Xx

I have no idea :/ I think mines a nvq but its beauty whats the difference between nvq and vrq? If all the colleges are switching im assuming it will be fine if yoir learning all the same stuff? Im sure someone here will know more about it than me! X

I went in Tuesday and they said they weren't in! Student services seem to be a bit useless there always telling me different things:confused: thanks ill go get them today x

did you manage to get the forms?

did you manage to get the forms?

Only the one for childcare and the kit one, they said ill get the one to pay for the actual course on the 26th x

I have no idea :/ I think mines a nvq but its beauty whats the difference between nvq and vrq? If all the colleges are switching im assuming it will be fine if yoir learning all the same stuff? Im sure someone here will know more about it than me! X

It seems that it has split opinion on what employers will be looking for, but it appears that NVQ is for the apprenticeship and VRQ is for college. I went on he college website and they only have Level 2 and Level 3 (it doesn't state either) so maybe I was panicking too much lol. I'm just so eager to start now and got a bit panicky as I've just spent out money on kit X :)

i too have just applied to an NVQ beauty therapy level 2 and have an interview for a VRQ instead, i too was worried about this and got straight on the phone with my college as i know i applied to the NVQ, whats happening is the NVQ is being phased out to VRQS now, it is a really similar framework to the NVQ just very slight differences, so dont worry your on the right course.;);) I too posted a similar question regarding the difference between NVQ and VRQ as i was really worried, but its now all sorted and im on the right course, although im still concerned as on job advertisments employers are looking for NVQ/SVQ so its all abit scary ha, hopefully il still be able to get a job :(.

i too have just applied to an NVQ beauty therapy level 2 and have an interview for a VRQ instead, i too was worried about this and got straight on the phone with my college as i know i applied to the NVQ, whats happening is the NVQ is being phased out to VRQS now, it is a really similar framework to the NVQ just very slight differences, so dont worry your on the right course.;);) I too posted a similar question regarding the difference between NVQ and VRQ as i was really worried, but its now all sorted and im on the right course, although im still concerned as on job advertisments employers are looking for NVQ/SVQ so its all abit scary ha, hopefully il still be able to get a job :(.

That's exactly what I thought and my worries for getting a job are also the same. Everything I've Googled seems to be somewhat out of date and when I spoke to the lady at the college yesterday, she assured me that a level 2 is a level 2, the only difference is one is based in a placement and the other is based in college.

It's all so confusing! My little girls Grandad has a salon, so hopefully I'll get lots of salon time under my belt too. Even if it's just answering the phones, sweeping up and shampooing. It's good to be in a proper working salon to get a good idea of what it will be like when I qualify X :)

i know ha, ive been going out of my mind with confusion and worry, as i dont understand why it has changed to VRQ, like if its the same criteria for NVQ and VRQ why is there a different name for the course if its basically the same there must be some difference otherwise why call it a VRQ :eek: and it worries me because when i look online at salon jobs all employers are asking for is the NVQ and i dont want to do the course for nothing as im sure you dont :| i was told by my college theres no difference from one being based in a placement and one not,

and yea i would start getting any experience if you can, im having an interview next week with a local spa for work experience to help along with my studies :confused: I just wish it was still an NVQ qualification, id feel more confident, are you starting next month then? x

The college phoned me I dont have to do the theory test but I have to do the file and polish seems weird to me but oh well! If anyone thats done level 2 has any tips for what theyl be looking for let me know :D

Hi hun, main things to remember are file from side to middle of each nail, try to paint each nail using 3 strokes of polish,(centre first, then each side) get as close to cuticle and side walls as u can but leave a small gap all the way round, don't flood with polish, do base coat ,2 colour coats then top coat. My best tip would be to rest your little finger of yr painting hand on the fingers of yr other hand if that makes sense. It steadies yr hand so u don't shake! Hope this helps :D x

I've been given a project to complete on emerging hair trends so it shows commitment to the course! haha x

Sent from my GT-S5830i using SalonGeek mobile app

Hi hun, main things to remember are file from side to middle of each nail, try to paint each nail using 3 strokes of polish,(centre first, then each side) get as close to cuticle and side walls as u can but leave a small gap all the way round, don't flood with polish, do base coat ,2 colour coats then top coat. My best tip would be to rest your little finger of yr painting hand on the fingers of yr other hand if that makes sense. It steadies yr hand so u don't shake! Hope this helps :D x

I've been given a project to complete on emerging hair trends so it shows commitment to the course! haha x

Thanks im gunna have a practice on my mum next time I see her ooo I like a little project that sounds quite fun! X

Thanks im gunna have a practice on my mum next time I see her ooo I like a little project that sounds quite fun! X

Yeah practice as much as u can, it really helps,I know,I like a good project too haha, feel like i'm back at school! Its good to keep up with new trends tho, and its helped me to decide on my own new hairstyle :D xx

I did VRQ level 2 in hairdressing 2 years ago.
NVQ and VRQ are basically the same and most salons ask for NVQ or equivalent x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Don't know if anyone saw the post I put in the Hairdressing pro area, but basically everyone is telling me not to do the VRQ and to try and do the NVQ. Unfortunately this means I'll have to do allot more travelling and be away from my daughter more as my local college doesn't offer it anymore. X

Don't know if anyone saw the post I put in the Hairdressing pro area, but basically everyone is telling me not to do the VRQ and to try and do the NVQ. Unfortunately this means I'll have to do allot more travelling and be away from my daughter more as my local college doesn't offer it anymore. X

Oh no are you going to go to another college then? X

I don't understand why they are saying not to do the VRQ, NVQ is being phased out in most areas. I'd do a little research or contact you college for further info. before making any decisions

VRQ is not looked up favourably by employers. From the city and guilds website this is what a VRQ is

'These qualifications give you the foundations to begin a career in hairdressing or barbering, or to advance in your career by gaining new skills.'

It's a course designed to get you ready for the workplaces. The assessments can be carried out on dolls heads, the pass level is lower (60%), is for full time students (no salon experience), it's not recognised internationally, the timed assessments are slacker.

The NVQ is a more desired qualification because of the higher standard required. If your going to to do this course, as someone who recruits, we would employ as an apprentice and enrol onto NVQ2 anyway. We could just do that will a school leaver aswell, someone who hasn't done this course.

I'm not sure you would find any job role higher.

Maybe hairdressing is different to beauty industry as VRQ's aren't frowned upon.

If you think about it a VRQ beauty qualification has to be done on a real person because you don't have fake bodies to practise on etc

But with hairdressing VRQ you can practise on dolly heads

I think the difference between a VRQ in beauty and an Nvq in beauty probably isn't much
But in hairdressing the difference is a real client vs a plastic head

If that makes sense

Latest posts

Back