Is Bio Sculpture Acrylic??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sara Satchell

Reaction score
I've just been on a training course with Bio Sculpture and during the course the trainer said that Bio Sculpture IS NOT ACRYLIC - I am pretty sure that ALL systems are acrylic based. I looked on the MSDS sheets and the main ingredient is Polyurethane Methacrylate Copolymer - Can any one clarify this for me please?

I'm no chemist but I'd have thought the use of the word methacrylate is a bit of a give away!
(good to see you back Sara and you look HOT!)

I'm no chemist but I'd have thought the use of the word methacrylate is a bit of a give away! - That's what I thought!
(good to see you back Sara and you look HOT!)
- LOL!! So do you, I LOVE your hair!

I've just been on a training course with Bio Sculpture and during the course the trainer said that Bio Sculpture IS NOT ACRYLIC - I am pretty sure that ALL systems are acrylic based. I looked on the MSDS sheets and the main ingredient is Polyurethane Methacrylate Copolymer - Can any one clarify this for me please?

Bio Sculpture is a Polyurethane, rather than an arylic base product. Becuase of that it is a soak off gel!

Regards

Bio Sculpture South

Gels are acrylates (some use variations like urethane acrylates or polyurethane methacrylates), most L&Ps are methacrylates (mostly ethyl-methacrylates) and wrap systems use cyanoacrylates.

Notice all the acrylate suffixes in there?

That is why the term acrylic is so lame. Any nail enhancement system is an acrylic.

HTHs!

hI Sara and All
Where did you do your Bio-sculpture course, I have nvq2 just about to embark on the 3...underwent training for the basic nail prep course using star nails.......but am really interested in learing about Bio-sculpture. How do you all find working with these gels?
What are the most common asked for colours? and is there a Bio-sculpture centre near Gloucestershire for training.....apologies for questions but I have been doing alot of research around the best system to opt for....
cheers in advance
Teresax

hI Sara and All
Where did you do your Bio-sculpture course, I have nvq2 just about to embark on the 3...underwent training for the basic nail prep course using star nails.......but am really interested in learing about Bio-sculpture. How do you all find working with these gels?
What are the most common asked for colours? and is there a Bio-sculpture centre near Gloucestershire for training.....apologies for questions but I have been doing alot of research around the best system to opt for....
cheers in advance
Teresax

It might be a good idea to start a separate thread for this, hun, so more Bio geeks see it and respond.:hug:

I was told the same thing when I did my LCN training - that the system had no acrylic in it! Seems a shame that even the educators of these products don't actually know what is in them!

Acrylic in liquid form ... end of :)

i just don't understand why certain companies are trying to pull away from the word Acrylic...??? whats wrong with the word Acrylic..?

Is it to do with the whole "Acrylic ruins ya nails" rubbish that gets spouted so often....is that why they disassociate themselves from the word Acrylic...instead wouldn't it be better to educate people on the fact that Acrylic doesn't damage nails......what they are doing by supporting this whole "anti Acrylic" thing isn't exactly helping our industry is it.

Personally I like the word Acrylic ...:lol:

i just don't understand why certain companies are trying to pull away from the word Acrylic...??? whats wrong with the word Acrylic..?

Exactly Angie. Do people say they're not going to wear clothes which contain acrylic, use plastic materials which contain acrylic etc. etc? .... I think not.

Shame there's such a stigma attached to this word, particularly so far as nails are concerned.

When I trained with Calgel I was also told it was not acrylic. When I asked why it said 'methacrylate' on the label I was told, "we already covered that"!!!

I was going through my emails.. and came across my "nails magazine" e-letter.
There was mention of the new CND site.

So I checked it out, and came across this:
Brisa Gel - CND

which reads:

If you have been looking for a gel nail to try, look no further. Meet the first acrylate-free gel system in the world. Brisa is hypo-allergenic and odor-free. Think that's nothing to sneeze at? consider this. it's like a coat of armor for the nails and the luminous shine is unparalleled. Brisa is a permanent top coat applied to your own strong natural nails, or used over a tip. Brisa creates strong, thin, light, natural looking nails. So beautiful, it's hard to believe it's gel.

So Brisa is NOT an acrylic like the others?
Or is the USa marketing a teensy bit jumping on the bandwagon and skipping a few truths? Just wondering, as I really don't know about Brisa.
But when I saw this on their site, I immediately thought of this thread that I had read earlier this morning.

Not looking for a debate etc.. Just wanting to know the truth of the matter, and where the differences are.

THANKS!

Hey Victoria,

Acrylate doesn't mean acrylic... Acrylates are a type of acrylic (much like methacrylates or cyanoacrylates are). Brisa is not based on conventional acrylates, it is a base of urethane methacrylates. It is still as much acrylic as any other enhancement system.

HTHs!

Is it to do with the whole "Acrylic ruins ya nails" rubbish that gets spouted so often....is that why they disassociate themselves from the word Acrylic...instead wouldn't it be better to educate people on the fact that Acrylic doesn't damage nails......what they are doing by supporting this whole "anti Acrylic" thing isn't exactly helping our industry is it.

my thoughts exactly

Another one of these 'uneducated' or 'non-factual' uses of chemical terminology to fit a nice story!

A common alternative is a system using 'organic' ingredients! We've all heard that one before too!

So many are taken in. Learn your chemistry of the products you use and no one will take you in

So true so true. I will never undertand why their are so many in our industry destroying our own profession. Talk about bitting the hand feeds you. It makes it so much harder for the rest of us that trully want to educate our clients and half the time they dont believe us.

Hey Victoria,

Acrylate doesn't mean acrylic... Acrylates are a type of acrylic (much like methacrylates or cyanoacrylates are). Brisa is not based on conventional acrylates, it is a base of urethane methacrylates. It is still as much acrylic as any other enhancement system.

HTHs!

is that what biosculpture is based on, or is polyurethane a lot different ?

Hey Victoria,

HTHs!

Ahhhhhh
ok:wink2:
I got it now. THANKS!
I'm not so great on the 'chemistry' side of things.
yes, I need to 'study' that more (doesn't stick in my head very well LOL too many acry something or others, I guess hehe)

Thanks again for clearing that up for me!
:hug:

Acrylic nails cover all nails .....

UV gels are made from Acrylate, L&P are Meth Acrylates and wraps are Cyano acrylates.

However I have been led to believe Brisa is based on methacrylates, rather than acrylates (like most gels), this is what makes Brisa different.

People have been known to be more prone to allergic reactions to gels (acrylates)

Latest posts

Back