Is everybody bad on eBay?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nvq trainer

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I thought I would contribute to the great eBay scandal that has caused such outrage to everyone!

There is a company on eBay (won't tell you the name as I'll probably get into trouble) that were exhibiting at the last Excel show! I know they were there as I saw their name on the floor plan! Now considering this show was organised by a trade mag or something equally great, I thought they might have stepped in and stopped them as they are from the dreaded eBay, obviously not as I suppose one person's money is as good as the next when these things are being organised.

The same said company was even featured in one of the nail mags as website of the month, encouraging all of us to shop with them!

Now unless you are a seller or a regular shopper with eBay, you won't have realised they are an eBay company and a lot of you may well have bought items from them as they are quite cheap and have a lot of variety etc.

I don't know anything about this company but I was just wondering on a few things.

1. How do we know this person(s) is selling crap just because they sell on eBay?

Let me back up the arguement!

99.9% of sellers (I should imagine) are nail technicians, maybe not very good, maybe very good. What's to say they haven't worked for a nail company and just got addresses of manufacturers and bought products from them? In fairness it's happening a lot of where people want more than their lot, eg I'm mobile but I would give my left arm, (Not the right as I need it!) to have a salon. Whats to say this isn't the same said thing? Manufacturers are not fussy who they sell to as long as they have the money, they have targets to meet as well and probably don't care if the business is run from the bedroom.

2. They might be using eBay by way of making money until the business grows.

What's to say that when they have made enough money, they come up with a new brand that has absolutely no connection with eBay and we all go out and merrily buy it as it's the best thing since slice bread! We just don't know until somebody twigs on.

3. What lay person is really going to do a set of nails as good as us?

I'm a teacher and 50% of the people I teach have bought stuff from eBay or Argos and realise it's harder than it looks. When I demonstate to my students how to do a nail, I make it look dead easy and when you all do nails it looks easily. The controversal bit - sorry if I offend! Now are we really worried if they hurt themselves or whether they hurt us? I reckon it's a 50/50 mix. Another controversal bit - sorry! I don't care if they hurt themselves as they will come to me or you for us to sort it out, (a bit like a dodgy haircut at home) which equals more money in our pockets as they realise it's a skill and not something that can be learned in an evening while watching Ant & Dec! Surely if the silly blighters hurt themselves that just benefits us in a roundabout sort of way? I suspect a lot of people, myself included, are concerned that if they get too good and don't need us anymore, we'll have to find new careers! Just one more thing, should we stop selling scissors in case someone cuts their hair wrong!? This doesn't go on in the hairdressing business why should it be happening in ours?

4. Next time you're in Boots or Superdrug or wherever, take a little time to look at the labels and check the addresses of these companies who sell nail kits in there. You won't believe your eyes when you've done a bit of research!

5. Primark v Prada! Some people are happy shopping in Primark as it suits their budget and lifestyle and some people have a better lifestyle and budget and can afford to shop in Prada, a bit like nails. Loads of people go to these substandard salons and loads go to "proper" salons and some want to do it themselves. Fine if they like the idea of horse hoofs on the ends of their fingers! Just remember, when it all goes wrong, it's us they come crying to.

6. I once worked for a company where the owners knew next to nothing about nails but sold nail products on my say so! They are cracking business people but know now't about nails but yet they are a really successful company in this country and are very well respected.

Q.Would you all buy nail products from me as I've been in nails for 7 years, taught for 5 of them, I'm a NVQ assessor, I've taken exams in all aspects of nails to NVQ and ITEC standard, I've been soley responsible for a whole acrylic line being launched in this country including product testing and sourcing and I've worked for 4 international nail companies, 2 of which were for product development and 2 of them were in teaching positions.

A. Probably not as I my finances would only allow me to grow by starting off selling on eBay.

7. It's worth checking to see who owns the major nail companies, as most of them are business people and not nail technicians, the very few that are nail techncians are usually not very good in my opinion and are certainly not up to my standard. Personally speaking, I would rather buy from another techncian who has experience in using the products rather than a good sales/business person who knows how to design a nice label to stick on a tub of crap. And before you ask, a few of them do and we buy them as they look nice! Just like handbags!

8. So I'm clear in my head. What is a dodgy eBay seller so I know what to avoid! Is it someone who sells acrylic, gel etc or can it be someone who just sells nail files or nail art? I always shop on eBay for nail files, buffers etc as someone sells 50 banana files for £18.00 including delivery and no VAT. Sounds great to me as I'm not VAT registered and the files are brilliant. (Yet again won't say the name just in case!) I'm in a business to save money and make money. They sell me what I want and I mega pleased with what they sell and won't shop anywhere else. Now do I stop shopping with them if they bring out an acrylic, gel or fibreglass line considering how happy I've been with the nail files and buffers or what? Personally, I would probably carry on shopping with them as I've always been more than happy with what they've sold me and I would trust them to carry on selling decent stuff as I'm buying from another nail techncian who offers on line advice. I'm sure if I phoned the MD of most other nail companies and asked them techncial questions they probably wouldn't be able to help me, maybe we should all try it to see where we stand!

Last point to be made. If we're in any doubt why not ask for MSDS before we buy and not just from eBayers from everybody. Don't always think that just because you've spent £40.00 on a powder its any better than a powder that costs £10.00, believe me, I worked for a company who done this, yet again it's all down to labelling and packaging. Lets also encourage the lay people to do the same when they have their nails done so they know what is safe and what's not.

Sorry, one last one thing (honest!) These nail companies that we love and adore so much make a huge amount of profit from us every year, if you don't beleive me, you can check at companies house. Why can't they employ someone stop these repeated offenders selling on eBay, eBid, eAuction etc. The reason why is that the products have been sold and they too have made their money and you know what they say, "Even bad money is good!"

I hope none of this is sensored. I'm not having a dig at companies, individuals etc. These are just points that I have not seen made anywhere else. I welcome all comments and will gladly reply to any of them.

NVQ Trainer

I am sorry but I think I may have missed the point here. Are you saying that we should not buy products from companies that don't have qualified nail techs working for them?

Yeah there's alot of info there! Could you condense it a bit?

And as for the statement... are all Ebay sellers bad... well of course not!

I am sorry but I think I may have missed the point here. Are you saying that we should not buy products from companies that don't have qualified nail techs working for them?
I think:eek: that what they are saying is is everyone bad on the e bay site?How can you tell or brand them all with the same bad brush?.Not sure exactly LOL

NVQ trainer....Could you please fill out your profile.

You are saying...it seems that because you buy your files from these people that it should be okay to buy you enhancement products from these same people,after all it seems from what you have said that a lot of big brand companies are selling on E-bay too.

I think though that there is a lot of difference between a file and a product that contains chemicals.I dont know what I am getting off of E-bay.

This is my personal choice.I wouldn't buy shampoo from there either,after all I dont know what the ingredients are.I know of another geek that had a well known brand off of E-bay and later when she brought the real thing from a shop she compared the 2 and they were not of the same ingredients.

I am quite opened minded and I like to know what I am getting.I dont slate E-bay,indeed,I have never broguht anything from there.However anything that I would use that contains an ingredient or chemical and is used on my body or my families I would only buy from a repuatable company,not from Mr invisable off of E-bay.

Also I dont think you can compare clients buying scissors v hairdressers and clients buying enhancements products v professional nail tech.After all what's the worst you can do with a pair of scissors other than do a rubbish haircut.You cant damage the hair as such.

Its totally different with nails and enhancements,the damage from MMA is enough evidence.

I may have misunderstood this post and what you are saying.Sorry if I have but it was a long one and I have a headcahe.:)

Firstly, I am not sure why the need was felt to start a spearate thread again. This post was made on the Use and Abuse of Ebay thread.

I dont think all Ebay sellers are bad but I do believe that some Ebay sellers are exploiting untrained and inexperienced nail technicians.

If for example, you cannot legitimately buy your chosen product from the authorised dealer then surely you should make the appropriate efforts to be able to. If you value your industry's reputation.

If for example you buy a monomer liquid from ebay and it turns out to have been stored incorrectly and it has set in the container - would they (Ebay seller) replace it - hmm!

Ebay was originally set up to be a means of selling your unwanted items - not as far as I am aware for loads of people to be importing - possibly illegally - cerrtainly immorally - lots of hazardous substances to sell to the unsuspecting general public and undercutting the authorised dealers.

I am of the opinion that anyone who sells bulk, no any amount, of nail chemicals to anyone who makes the highest bid, is bad.

So much for ebay's policy of not allowing hazardous and flammable substances to be sold.

Just a point.

An MSDS tells you nothing about a product's formulation. If you've been heavily involved in product development then I would have thought you would know this.

Just because different brands contain a majority of the same ingredients, does not mean they are anything alike when it comes to the formulation of the products and not ALL ingredients have to be listed on an MSDS either.

I really do not see the point of this thread.
u.
I am an NVQ assessor and IV etc etc ... it doesn't make me a better nail technician. Nothing to do with it at all. It doesn't particularly elevate me in any way as I think a monkey could become an NVQ assessor (as long as someone helped it with the cross referencing :lol: )

By the way, the point about the MD of a nail product distributor not knowing a thing about nails is entirely irrelevant. An MD is there to run the business successfully he doesn't have to know a thing about doing nails -- he will have the experts on his team to take care of the nail side side of the business.

Another little point. You haven't filled in your profile. Who are you? Is there some reason to hide? Why not let us know a bit more about youerself? I always feel that if a person is not prepared to reveal who they are and their credentials, then I am not prepared to really listen too hard or seriously to what they have to say. JMHO

A dodgy eBay seller is one that:

1- Illegally ships and smuggles goods into the country putting lives at risk in the process (most if not all eBayers selling imported flammables are guilty of this and are part of an investigation with Customs, Royal Mail and the USPIS). They put lives at risk so they can make a couple pounds on profit. In my opinion, those that support these actions by purchasing from them are just plain disgusting and a black mark on our industry.

2- Happily sells potentially hazardous goods to unsuspecting and ignorant consumers. Once again they put profit before safety. People who support sellers like this are just as lame and disgusting.

Abrasives? Decals? Art stuff? Who cares, no one is in harms way there. If someone want to support a black market, I can't stop them... but if I get their names you bet your ass Ill turn them in. I fly around too much to be comfortable sitting on improperly labelled, packaged and stored flammables just so someone can make an extra couple of pounds.

One of these days, people will realise there are far more important things in life than saving a pound illegally. Sadly I think it will be a lesson learned after a serious accident has occurred getting someone their smuggled flammables.

On a final note - think about this. The average Price of a Rebalance using smuggled goods versus legally distributed products is about 10 pence. Won't people feel like greedy buggers if something terrible happens so they can save their 10 pence.

I don't feel strongly about this do I ? ;)

Gigi, Sam, as always very well put. Take your bows they are well desereved.

Hi everyone

I don't think I made myself clear judging by the responses that have been left.

Let me ask the question another way and please answer it the best way you can!

There are legitimate registered companies on eBay selling products to nail techncians. Is this right or wrong? The reason I ask the question is that one of the companies has become mainstream with their own labelled product line that is featured in the nail mags and they exhibited at the last Excel show. Do we buy from this company knowing they have come from eBay or do we avoid them like the plague?

Now some answers for the points you made!!

I understand about buying crap, I'm not a monkey. Of course it's wrong to sell dodgy products, who in their right mind would want to sell or knowingly buy something that would be harmful? I too would shop anybody who deliberately sells stuff that endangers health or life.

The point I was making was nobody seems to have a good word to say about eBayers who sell nail products, surely not all of them can be bad, especially those who are trying to build up their own labelled brand?

Personally I'm not interested in idiots who sell crap to make a quick quid and, in the original thread there was no mention of it being okay to sell dodgy stuff, I only want to know about people trying to build up their own product line, nothing else.

From Geeg - An MSDS tells you nothing about a product's formulation. If you've been heavily involved in product development then I would have thought you would know this.

Just because different brands contain a majority of the same ingredients, does not mean they are anything alike when it comes to the formulation of the products and not ALL ingredients have to be listed on an MSDS either

The point I want to get accross is that if somebody is trying to make an honest living from eBay, eBid etc, they would have MSDS to prove their worth. Dodgy sellers don't bother with MSDS which would give clues as to who is a good or bad seller. MSDS also tells you whether a product has got MMA or other nasties we don't want on our nails and whether it is suitable for the purpose it is being bought for. Also if you buy from a seller who does not have any MSDS that should hopefully be enough indication that the product is rubbish.

From Geeg - By the way, the point about the MD of a nail product distributor not knowing a thing about nails is entirely irrelevant. An MD is there to run the business successfully he doesn't have to know a thing about doing nails -- he will have the experts on his team to take care of the nail side side of the business.

Yes granted a MD is there to run a company that's the whole point! But I wouldn't open a garage as I know nothing about cars, surely being a head of a company means you have an all round knowledge of everything that happens within the business right down to using the product and what's in it. I never said that all MD's know nothing, just one company in particular that I worked for knew very little and were successful. It just seems to be like finding a needle in a hay stack with the lights off.

From BABSann -You are saying...it seems that because you buy your files from these people that it should be okay to buy you enhancement products from these same people,after all it seems from what you have said that a lot of big brand companies are selling on E-bay too.

I never said that big brand companies are selling on eBay. What I should have said was that big companies should have an approved distributors list to avoid individuals buying from them in bulk and selling on eBay. Every company is in business to make money otherwise commerce wouldn't exist! I'm sure companies can do more than what they do. Gucci stop people flogging their stuff if they can't provide documentation as to where the stuff was purchased from if they are selling in large amounts, why is it so hard for big nail companies to do the same? Surely there has to be a certain amount of accountability from the companies. If individuals are selling imitation products, there is a hefty prision sentence waiting, if the companies take action. All I want to know is that do companies not take the action in case it dents the bank balance! If Gucci can employ somebody to scan the internet all day, why can't nail companies?

Maybe the thread should be read again, to make sure there is no confusion with what I wrote and what you read.

As to who I am? Well that's the great thing about living in a democracy, I have the freedom to remain anonymous should I wish to!

The scarlett pimpernel!

So how would the legitimate company, selling their own label products, just trying to make a living, ensure that they are only selling to qualified/trained technicians. Ebay does not allow for the facility to only sell to specific people - they sell only to the highest bidder.

If the company you are talking about wants to have a good reputation then surely the last place they would look to sell, would be ebay - if they are advertising in the trade magazines, then surely a well optimized website would be seen as more professional than ebay.

As to the point of filling out your profile - why would you not want to, unless you
a) are the ebayer that you are talking about or
b) are not the ebayer but have some axe to grind

As a new member, all I can see you doing is either slagging off the person selling on Ebay or stirring the pot so we all get heated about Ebay - which is it? As yet I am not too sure which.

nvq trainer said:
There are legitimate registered companies on eBay selling products to nail techncians. Is this right or wrong? The reason I ask the question is that one of the companies has become mainstream with their own labelled product line that is featured in the nail mags and they exhibited at the last Excel show. Do we buy from this company knowing they have come from eBay or do we avoid them like the plague?
I think a lot of it comes down to having scruples, a conscience, etc.
These e-bay sellers don't know who the heck they're selling to... end of!!!
They don't know if they're selling to a professional nail technician or any old Tom, D!ck or Harry...

Then it comes down to knowledge about this particular company...
Would all professional technicians know that this company were at Excel aswell as selling on e-bay? it's doubtful.

I wouldn't buy from the company concerned, and I believe I know which company you're referring to.
Why wouldn't I buy from them?... because I wouldn't consider them to be ethical if they're selling professional nail products on e-bay to unqualified and unknowledgeable members of the public... let's face it, you don't have to show your certificates to buy from e-bay!

I think a lot of it comes down to having scruples, a conscience, etc.
These e-bay sellers don't know who the heck they're selling to... end of!!!
They don't know if they're selling to a professional nail technician or any old Tom, D!ck or Harry...

Then it comes down to knowledge about this particular company...
Would all professional technicians know that this company were at Excel aswell as selling on e-bay? it's doubtful.

I wouldn't buy from the company concerned, and I believe I know which company you're referring to.
Why wouldn't I buy from them?... because I wouldn't consider them to be ethical if they're selling professional nail products on e-bay to unqualified and unknowledgeable members of the public... let's face it, you don't have to show your certificates to buy from e-bay!

I to, think it's a matter of ethics.I wouldn't buy any product from E-bay full stop just as I wouldn't buy a new face cream from a guy selling it on the street corner.

Maybe I would buy a piece of equipment from them one day but not a professional product.I like to play safe.

I have no time for people selling a professional product that needs to be used by a trained person.This shows absolutely no regard to peoples health and saftey.

It's not right and should't be allowed.

Hi everyone

........I never said that big brand companies are selling on eBay. What I should have said was that big companies should have an approved distributors list to avoid individuals buying from them in bulk and selling on eBay........

As to who I am? Well that's the great thing about living in a democracy, I have the freedom to remain anonymous should I wish to!
Regarding the top section that I have highlighted in Bold.....CND DO have an approved list of distributors for thier products in UK, but that doesnt stop some people bringing in CND products from abroad, illegally on aircraft etc without paying customs duty on said products and selling them cheaper on e-bay. They then post these products via Royal Mail which is illegal too, as these products are highly inflammable, especially monomer and so should NOT be sent by post. Also some of us DO buy ligitimately to a certain degree in bulk, when we order through these approved CND distributors but that doesnt mean we do it to sell the products on e-bay:irked:

Regarding the second highlighted section above.....If you want to remain anonymous then that is your perogative, all we get is that you live in Kent!! I ask myself, why are you doing this, what can you possibly gain by staying anonymous? :irked: I for one, wonder if we are wasting our time reading your posts and get the feeling you are just on here to stir up trouble:irked: The way you seem to be defending selling nail products on e-bay, you DO sound like an e-bay nail product seller to me, maybe you are the one trying to sell the new range of nail products you refer to!! If so, may I suggest you try getting a better outlet for your products!

Well said,I for one like to know who I am talking to therefore shall not bother replying anymore until you fill out your profile.

We ask all newbies to do this,not just you.Its called being polite and courteous.:)

Well I smell an agenda here myself.

Actually I do know who the poster is and I also know who she has worked for .. so I can't figure out why the anonymity unless there is something to hide.

E bay is in my opinion no place to start up what one later wants to become a legitimate business. Just start the damned business in the normal way. If one can't afford to start a business and is underfunded, then don't start it at all ... that person shouldn't be in business.

I started the Creative business in the UK very slowly and carefully ... quarter page adverts in BLACK AND WHITE BECAUSE WE COULDN'T AFFORD COLOUR!! We then went to half page two-colour and were so excited. Now people come into the business with full colour full page adds right off the bat and do not have the business to support it and wonder why they are not heard of again after 5 years. MY motto is to go slowly and carefully and with integrity. People will notice you and learn to trust you.

How one is perceived is very important ... Ebay is not someone with whom I would want to be associated as a professional. I'm busy ... fully booked .. No time to mess with Ebay .. I want to ring my supplier and get my goods. I make money. I can't be bothered to waste my time saving a few pennies for a sub standard product or an unknown product when I know what I buy is top quality and excellent value. I like the realtionship I have with my supplier and I know they will push themselves to help me if I have a problem. I also know I have the education back up from top educators who are also NVQ assessors (not that that means anything at all or will help me if I have a query).

I'm sure you are not a bad person or just plain bad because you sell nail products on Ebay, Maria. But I wouldn't buy from you. I do not see any advantage you can give me over another supplier. Even the prices are no cheaper. Not interested. My customers would be horrified if I told them I boughtmy products from Ebay!!

Latest posts

Back