Is gel polish a no-no for a job interview/trade test?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

salj

Reaction score
I'm doing a trade test/interview in a salon at the weekend and I was just interested to see opinions on this. Currently I've got red sparkly gel polish on, with a snowflake on my accent finger. It looks great (I think) but when I was at college we were told no polish was allowed. They do offer gel polish in this salon (not the same one I use but similar) so I know if I get the job I'll be providing this treatment.

Since then I've not done any trade tests so I don't know what current thinking it (I swear I searched first before posting this). Plus most of the therapists I've seen since then always have on Shellac or Bio... etc to advertise it.

Tough one. Personally I think most salons now do tend to allow gel polish (even if it is against code of practice).
I would be inclined to keep it on, as long as it is still in perfect condition, as it shows your skills and may even be a talking point. However, I would ensure everything else about your appearance states professionalism and hygiene. As in, hair completely back, no jewellery, flat closed in shoes, fob watch rather than wrist watch etc etc.
You will soon see how 'relaxed' or not the salon is regarding nails. But at least you will have shown that everything else is in order and they can simply request that you remove the gel.

Some nail bars like you to have your nails done at all times to show off to the clients! It just depends on the place.

Tricky one :/

I'd agree, keep it on but only if its in perfect condition as Nailtechybee said.

I personally always asked my staff to make sure their nails were perfectly polished at all times, hope that helps and good luck! X

Thanks girls I really appreciate the feedback.

I will make sure that it still looks perfect before I go.

Thanks girls I really appreciate the feedback.

I will make sure that it still looks perfect before I go.

How did you get on? :)

Hayley :)

I didn't get it! But the feedback was really positive. She wanted more experience really but said she'd hold onto my CV in case anything came up where she could spend more time developing me, so that's nice.

Well done, it's nerve wracking going for interviews and that is really positive. The whole experience thing is such a pain, you can't get a job without it and can't get it without a job :( x

Hayley :)

Latest posts

Back