Is Hot Stone Massage yey or ney?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrslargelashes

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,
who all does hot stones? Is it a popular treatment, or has it had its day? How much approx. do you charge? How does thaty compare to your regular massage prices? I am considering training in hot stones, so any help would be appreciated, thanks x

In my opinion it's very popular still and well worth training in, I've been trained about 18 months and it's really boosted the massage side of my business. I charge approx 30% more than regular massage but that is more because I do slightly longer treatments, people are happy to pay because it's a more luxurious treatment. I'm sure other people will come along with their opinions too!

I don't offer hot stones massage but I treat myself approximately every 6 weeks, and I recommend it to all my clients.

If I am at a hotel or spa and want a nice treatment, I specifically look for a hot stones massage so yes, I think it's a great treatment to offer.

I love hot stone massage, and I love doing them aswell. It's not my most popular but everyone loves it who has it.

I'm so glad I did the training.

Hi

Is the kit expensive to buy? Hot Stones are on my list of services I want to offer - but Im being careful in that I dont want to add too many services too quickly!

Thanks x

I purchased a kit off of eBay the stones are all exactly the same shape, but I'm happy with it for now it was less than £100 including heater, which looks likes a slow cooker. I want to get some nice stones in the future.

I use them..its quite popular too. Clients who have it realise the benefits of it over a normal massage, but they are 2 entirely different techniques really..I find it very useful if I know a client is coming in to me as they've pulled something etc as I can adapt the routine to include a few stones to target the area and help. Also means I save my hands too!! lol.

I would definately recommend training in it..once you have the stones they dont need anything more to keep them going, like the 'charge 'you put in the lava shells, so no ongoing costs involved..

Thanks I'll have a look into it, its def something I want to do but I dont want to rush into loads of training etc and not master any of the skills! Ill keep my eyes open for some kit tho and maybe then train when Im happy with the initial services Im going to offer!

Hi, i've just trained in hot stones and really enjoyed it also had one done on me and at the time i had pulled my back, and this massage is fab for that!!!:p

I use them..its quite popular too. Clients who have it realise the benefits of it over a normal massage, but they are 2 entirely different techniques really..I find it very useful if I know a client is coming in to me as they've pulled something etc as I can adapt the routine to include a few stones to target the area and help. Also means I save my hands too!! lol.

I would definately recommend training in it..once you have the stones they dont need anything more to keep them going, like the 'charge 'you put in the lava shells, so no ongoing costs involved..

well you all know what im going to say but can i point out hot stones are difficult to do mobile with ... and as for the "on going cost s of lava shell charges " ok but they are not that expenisive oh and lava shells are portable ....but what about the cost of electricity , water ect ?
i did train and do hot stones for a while but i personly have left the stone age behind me lol
good luck with what ever you deside to do , no training is a waste of money , i love to learn new skills :D

well you all know what im going to say but can i point out hot stones are difficult to do mobile with ... and as for the "on going cost s of lava shell charges " ok but they are not that expenisive oh and lava shells are portable ....but what about the cost of electricity , water ect ?
i did train and do hot stones for a while but i personly have left the stone age behind me lol
good luck with what ever you deside to do , no training is a waste of money , i love to learn new skills :D
actually, she asked about hot stone massage and NOT lava shells, so perhaps this comment is unneccessary.

I love hot stone massage and so do my clients. If a client can't choose between swedish and hot stone I offer a comination and I have had a lot of repeats for this. The heat is comforting and you can make your massage flow nicely with swedish in the mix otherwise you are stepping away a lot to get new stones. I don't offer stones mobile, they come to me for the stones. Another plus is that stones are easier on your hands!!:p

Last edited:
I also think lava shells are the way forward I have been trained in hot stones for over 10 years now, and started doing lava shells 2 years ago. Lava shells are much more hygenic, you only use three for a full body and provides a better flow to the treatment. They also stay nice and warm throughout the treatment. Trust me if like me your use to using both their is no contest. Fantastic and easy for mobile. forget the epensive heavy machines associated with hot stones. I am such a fan that i am going to train in their hot bamboo massage next week. :)

In answer to your original question, hot stone is very popular indeed.
As already commented, it is a luxury treatment, so market it as a luxury.

for us therapists, we dont have to press so hard as the heat and the weight of the stone does all the work for us.

what is time consuming is the set up, heating, cleaning up and preparing for the next client.

saying that, I have achieved 6 hot stone massages consequetively in one day.

please also remember, that any heat treatment does make us tired, as our body is constantly trying to maintain our optimum heat.

A real winter warmer, a fabulous add on to many many treatments.

Marketing tip for you: if your stones are heated up, why not introduce them to a client having a treatment?
Include them in a foot massage, a hand massage, a face massage, a scalp massage, a back massage, a stomach massage. Give your clients stones to hold. If its a cold day, use the stones to heat their feet up, their hands up.
by introducing them to a taster, they will want to book in for a full treatment.

Now also remember, this treatment originated in Arizona, a hot place! So hot stones still has a place all year round, not a seasonal novelty treatment.

Once you have paid for your kit, no extra charge. I bought my kit many years ago for nearly £500 and its still going strong. You can now buy the same kit for £200. No running out of product, once bought, you are sorted.

I highly recommend hot stone as a perfect addition to a therapist that wants to offer quality treatments.

I also think lava shells are the way forward I have been trained in hot stones for over 10 years now, and started doing lava shells 2 years ago. Lava shells are much more hygenic, you only use three for a full body and provides a better flow to the treatment. They also stay nice and warm throughout the treatment. Trust me if like me your use to using both their is no contest. Fantastic and easy for mobile. forget the epensive heavy machines associated with hot stones. I am such a fan that i am going to train in their hot bamboo massage next week. :)
The OP didn't state it was for mobile use.

this thread was about hot stone, not shells, not bamboo.

The OP didn't state it was for mobile use.

this thread was about hot stone, not shells, not bamboo.

The thread title is "is hot stone massage yey or ney" which means it is asking for pros and cons, therefore I think that when giving the cons it is reasonable to discuss an alternative treatment.

Um okay then!!
sorry about this. let me answer in my own opinion to the original question. which was

hot stone. is it a popular treatment, or has it had its day?

so to answer the original question simply, hot stones has definatley seen its day.

Um okay then!!
sorry about this. let me answer in my own opinion to the original question. which was

hot stone. is it a popular treatment, or has it had its day?

so to answer the original question simply, hot stones has definatley seen its day.
your opinion - which you are entitled to, but not exactly a straw poll.

My opinion - hot stone rocks.

and in answer to the moderator's comment: I use a lot of tools, I am an advocate of all of them, shells, bamboo, thai foot sticks, hot compresses, honey, algae, chocolate, peat, mud, crystals, chinese cups, acupuncture needles, etc, but I stuck to the hot stone question.

Um okay then!!

Sorry, but I don't agree.

I specifically seek out Hot Stones Massage on a treatment list if I go anywhere.

As a consumer, I would never look for "Lava Shells"

Hot Stones for me. All the way.

From a brick based business at least, I don't think hot stones have seen their day. Even here in the spa in Florida we do a few a week, some people love it, some just try it to see what it is like. I even have guy clients that have it.

And for what it is worth I am not keen whatsoever on the lava shells, I trained around 2009, the deep tissue blend made the shell too hot to hold and I wouldn't put it near a client, the rubber seal leaked on one and the shell cracked around the hole on another. I still have some at the spa but I would need dozens to be able to carry out the treatment in place of stones and can you imagine these between the toes......LOL.

I do understand for anyone thinking about mobile how this would enable you to carry out a hot treatment. It is just down how you market them but I would choose the stones over the shells both as a massage therapist and client.

Latest posts

Back