Is is just a girl thing?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bug123

Reaction score
Hi there all ! Just registered the other day ?
I've only just started doing nails - i get some funny 'looks' when i tell 'em ? :shock:
I don't wanna sound sexist as i am not - but is doing nails a girl thing only?
I'd be interested hearing from other men doing nails and how they overcome people's initial shock - horror ! :shock:
They think i must be wierd or something!!
What reaction do other male nail techs get when doing nails??

Hello Hunny,

If you look at the left of the screen, & go into the members list, you'll see that there are several men on this site, not even mentioning Mr. Geek :fro: himself!!

Welcome to the board!!!
;)

Hi
Welcome to the board.
Like you am am a man . I am Creative trained and bizarre though it sounds to most men I love doing nails.
I am like the Geek in so much as I am married and I have a daughter of 20 and another of 14.
I love telling other guys what I do for a living and watch the look of shock,and wait for the obvious questions regarding my personal life.
For me its a cool job with lots of scope for creativity, in fact my main aim for 2004 is to compete in competitions, I already have some ideas..
You are not alone
We are in the minority but it just means as women have hadto in other fields ,we need to try harder to be accepted by our peers and also our Mainly female clientele.
Best of luck and keep in touch
Mike

Definitley not....................welcome to the wonderful world of nails and to the board too :D
Have a look at some of the great male Techie's around..................
Anthony Buckley, Leighton Denney, Ketan Patel, Samuel Sweet , Tom Holcombe, Christian Cesar, just to mention a few.......
So there is nothing weird about this ......................
Just have fun doing what you are doing, it's not often someone finds something they have a pation for, is actually also there profession.
Love Ruth xxxxx

Hey man (hahaha... get it?!? sheesh... tough crowd)...

Welcome to the most kick a** industry that more men would flock to if they really gave it much thought... I mean really... how much do you get paid an hour for holding women’s hands?

The fact of the matter... is that about 4-5% of the industries populace is male... the top 5% of earners in the industry??? Male. Why?

Don’t really know... maybe because we are more a curiosity for passer bys?

I used to get hung up about it... hanging out with the boys... who did manly things... whilst I painted girls nails... But you quickly get over it and they quickly get jealous when they start to realise the benefits... and if not... at least it always makes for great conversation fodder.

Face it... your in a fantastic industry with no boundaries... why try and explain it to anyone?

Whatever you do... as long as you dig it... Thats all that matters

nJoy the ride...

One of my very good pals, Mr. J, from Beauty tech boards, Is an ex-trucker, he weighs in at 250, he does nothing but BackS. & something called dip. he makes more money than he ever did driving truck! :rolleyes:
He wouldn't give it up for anything, he loves it. Says he can pick & choose
the ones he likes for long massage pedis ! The perks ! Seems like I always like my hair done by a man. :D I think its great.
good luck to you.
Barb [/b]

Hi There,

Everything that everyone has said is soooo true. This industry is fabulous and I think that men coming into the industry can only be a good thing as it will raise awareness to the opposite sex that this shouldn't be a 'women only' thing. Men should look after their nails too.

I hope you enjoy what you do 'cos we all LOVE it!!!! :D [/quote]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back