Is it a job or a joke?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1999judy

Reaction score
I have noticed with a few of my new spraytan clients that they make comments about the way they are being sprayed. Silly things, like for instance, when you ask them to put their hand in a claw or something they say "Oooh never been asked that one before! This is professional!"
The majority of the clients who have made such comments have had spraytans at home from a mobile service. How easy is it to just buy the stuff and get to work??
The nail industry has no guidelines and neither does the beauty industry in this country.
This is how nail techs/beauticians get bad press.
I think that there are a few people out there who pose as professionals but have never had a certificate for anything.
Why do we keep having to pick up the pieces of other peoples rubbish and prove ourselves? And make it all right?
The upside is that I get regular clients after the initial visit, the downside is sorting out the bodge jobs. Can be a bit frustrating sometimes.
Anyone else have this problem?:eek:

I don't do spray tanning myself but i do know someone that trained to be a therapist & never worked as one after leaving college. She is now doing spray tanning from home at £15 a time. She just went to the wholesalers and bought the stuff from there !

I do think that there are more & more people doing treatments that they are not qualified in, i know of quite a few but there is nothing you can do as far as im aware :(

I have spray tanned for free up till now for friends and family to practice and they have said that I have been better than other people they have paid.

The scariest comment I have ever had was my first waxing client who was astounded that I checked the wax temp on her wrist before proceeding with the treatment. she said she had been getting waxed for years and no one had ever done that:eek:

i ask the client to do the claw too pet - youre not alone - i also cover there nails (whether l/p or not) i also get told "the last one didnt do that" we gonna educate them flower - dont you worry about your abilities - i bet you do an awesome job - as for other services - i wont do anything that i aint got the cert for

IThe majority of the clients who have made such comments have had spraytans at home from a mobile service. How easy is it to just buy the stuff and get to work??

QUOTE]
I hope you weren't tarring us mobiles with the same brush there Judy, LOL.
I do spraytans on a mobile service but I am trained and insured.
My waxing always gets comments, I always test it on myself first and a lot of clients have commented about this not being done before, I always use talc or oil before I wax and get a lot of comments from this and when doing half a leg I always go up over the knee.
They are amazed that I have my own couch instead of doing it on the bed or floor.
Nails - I get comments from clients about filling in consultation cards, how shiny they are when I've finished whereas the last tech would just put a top coat on.
Manis and Pedis, how thorough they are instead of just soak in a bowl for ten minutes push the cuticles back and paint the nails.

IThe majority of the clients who have made such comments have had spraytans at home from a mobile service. How easy is it to just buy the stuff and get to work??

QUOTE]
I hope you weren't tarring us mobiles with the same brush there Judy, LOL.
I do spraytans on a mobile service but I am trained and insured.
My waxing always gets comments, I always test it on myself first and a lot of clients have commented about this not being done before, I always use talc or oil before I wax and get a lot of comments from this and when doing half a leg I always go up over the knee.
They are amazed that I have my own couch instead of doing it on the bed or floor.
Nails - I get comments from clients about filling in consultation cards, how shiny they are when I've finished whereas the last tech would just put a top coat on.
Manis and Pedis, how thorough they are instead of just soak in a bowl for ten minutes push the cuticles back and paint the nails.

No mate, I've worked as a mobile tech too.:hug:
Just find it worrying that theses days all kinds of people in all kinds of jobs are working without training or insurance. TBH it even makes you think twice about calling a painter or decorator - could be anyone who just puts an ad in the paper, I never ask to see any certification.
I will be doing in the future though.

What gets my goat is the people who are untrained who decide to charge treatments at a silly cheap rate, people are attracted by the price, have a second rate treatment and then won't ever have it done again because they think that's what we are all like.

I'm just waiting to see someone advertising laser hair removal with the new Rio kit that costs £100 - why would salons pay tens of thousands for laser machines if a £100 kit did it so well? You're right Judy, it's a joke!

What gets my goat is the people who are untrained who decide to charge treatments at a silly cheap rate, people are attracted by the price, have a second rate treatment and then won't ever have it done again because they think that's what we are all like.

Thats what really annoys me.....people pay super cheap rates for a rubbish treatment by a tech/therapist thats had little or no training, and bought sub standard equipment, then they are put off for life! Thats why i wont offer sray tanning at mo, there are too many 'cowboys' doing it round my area for £10, then peeps say 'wont have it done again its rubbish/it fades/goes orange...':mad: :mad:

It is still happening....when I squirt some cool blue into a new clients hands, she looks at me like I'm mad:eek: hasn't a clue what to do with it:lol:

It is frustrating. I feel like Im always having to prove that my job is 'a professional' job, not just a hobby, but the cowboys in my area have helped my business. Word is slowly getting out that enhancements shouldn't mean pain, or discoloured lumps on the end of your fingers:!:

well 1999judy i agree hun ... im mobile to and it doesnt matter is you are salon based or what if you have no quallification and are preforming treatments then it is causeing trouble for the people who have ... i mean i could go ut today and purchase all the stock i need to do spary tanns as i have had them many time but that wouldnt mean i would have the 1st idead as to what to do !! i value my work and reputation so a qualification in vital IMO and it frustrates me to know that this kind of thing happens ... xx

the thing is its not just mobiles. I go to a few people who have had spraytans in some good salons and think 'orange' hands & feet is the norm. (I would never have spray tan if I had as much as a streak on my hands).

Latest posts

Back