Is it better to do more courses?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emmalebron

Reaction score
Ok, so I am currently in the process of doing the Creative L&P course. I have only got one more day before i hopefully pass!!

The thing is before i decided to do this i was a full time mum and before that I worked in an office so other then getting my own nails done I have no experience in this industry. I am hoping to start up my own mobile business but I dont want to rush it. I will only have this one course under my belt and wondered if it would be better for me to do a few more courses before I'm let loose or is it ok for me to go ahead and start doing nails and build on it from there once I'm bringing some money in (if i get any clients!!). My problem is that whilst I am in no rush, I am funding this all myself and the courses arent cheap!

I need some advice please!!!

Hiya,

I'm a newbie as well! I retired last year from the office and wanted to do something interesting and hands-on, so I chose nails as I have always been interested in them. I finished my course at college 5 weeks ago but haven't got the confidence to let myself loose on the public as a mobile tech, so I have booked a 1-2-1 with NSI Nails on a skill-building course. You might like to try something like that? HTHs

Babsxx:hug:xx

Hiya,

I'm a newbie as well! I retired last year from the office and wanted to do something interesting and hands-on, so I chose nails as I have always been interested in them. I finished my course at college 5 weeks ago but haven't got the confidence to let myself loose on the public as a mobile tech, so I have booked a 1-2-1 with NSI Nails on a skill-building course. You might like to try something like that? HTHs

Babsxx:hug:xx
Thanx for the tip I might look into that, sounds like a good idea!

Good Luck!

Hi Ive just finished the NSI course - got my exam in a few weeks. I have a full time job and like you I am funding the courses/equipment etc myself. I am also wanting to go mobile, I have made some leaflets just to deliver locally to advertise for models (charging cheaper prices) - as i need to do approx 30 sets of enhancements before my exam, hopefully i will pass then i will gradually increase my prices.

I know I will need lots of practice but i do need to start making some money back! hth x

Hi

Salon services also do a nail course which is a lot cheaper than NSI. Two days £75 per day plus VAT. If you already have the kit then you dont need to buy. They cover all systems and sculpting.

Hope this helps

Hi There
I'm in exactly the same place as you at the moment, just waiting for my fifth and final day. Its very daunting and I'm sure that it'll be a nerve racking experience doing the first paying client, but to be honest, my view is this: I've (almost) done the course, I've practiced and practiced and more practiced on anyone I can get my hands on, and yes its cost loads in having to do all these free nails, but over the past couple of weeks I've been getting consistent feedback that they would be happy if they had paid full price in a salon for them. When I started training, I promised myself that I wont offer cut price nails to start with, but that I wouldnt start charging until my feedback was consistently good. When you do practice freebies on friends, tell them that you dont want paying, but that you want honest feedback on their appearance, durability, any lifting etc, and use that as your marker as to when you feel confident enough to charge. Dont get me wrong, I do intend to take further courses, but if I was you I would be brave and have confidence in your skills and get going with it. thats what I intend to do once I've got my certificate! Good luck :)

Hi There
I'm in exactly the same place as you at the moment, just waiting for my fifth and final day. Its very daunting and I'm sure that it'll be a nerve racking experience doing the first paying client, but to be honest, my view is this: I've (almost) done the course, I've practiced and practiced and more practiced on anyone I can get my hands on, and yes its cost loads in having to do all these free nails, but over the past couple of weeks I've been getting consistent feedback that they would be happy if they had paid full price in a salon for them. When I started training, I promised myself that I wont offer cut price nails to start with, but that I wouldnt start charging until my feedback was consistently good. When you do practice freebies on friends, tell them that you dont want paying, but that you want honest feedback on their appearance, durability, any lifting etc, and use that as your marker as to when you feel confident enough to charge. Dont get me wrong, I do intend to take further courses, but if I was you I would be brave and have confidence in your skills and get going with it. thats what I intend to do once I've got my certificate! Good luck :)
Thanx for that, I am the same, I have done loads of nails and they all look good, I even manage to do my own!! I did some for my sister (she works for Clarins, in a department store) and she has had loads of customers comment on her beautiful nails but I think its like you say, its the nerves taking over!!!

Think I need to give myself a talking to and just get out there and do it!!

To be honest I would recommend getting a bit of salon experience before setting up your own business as a mobile tech.

You learn so much in this environment. How to deal with people, problem nails, getting your times down, and learning about the industry in general. I think being mobile, (which I am), I wouldn't be able to give the quality service I give with out this experience. It also helps to build up your confidence as a nail tech, and you are able to feed off and get advice from others, (as well as having help from this site.)

Being mobile you are on your own, and with out any sort of experience, you can be pretty isolated. There's nothing stopping you doing a few clients to raise money so you can pay for further education, (provided you have insurance!), but to do it as a full time or part time business for that matter you can't beat a bit of the salon experience.

You may even like it. (I didn't but that's why I set up on my own!:lol:) But no way do I regret it.

HTH

I see your point! I do have a really good friend who is a Nail Tech and she did suggest I come in a do some days with them, you know, no ties or anything so maybe it would be good to do that. I have the insurance already, had to have it as part of our course!

I see your point! I do have a really good friend who is a Nail Tech and she did suggest I come in a do some days with them, you know, no ties or anything so maybe it would be good to do that. I have the insurance already, had to have it as part of our course!
In which case grab that opportunity! You're lucky to be offered something like this. I'd say go for it!! Good for you and good luck.:)

I think Jules has a good point to make, as new techs there's a lot that we will only learn about once you come across it in the course of business, and of course its about so much more than doing nails, you're running a business. Personally, once Ive got my certificate and insurance I've arranged to hire a nail bar in a local salon. I'll be the only nail tech there, but I'll be amongst beauty industry professionals who (hopefully!) will be able to offer me some sort of guidance. What I would say though is this: the creative foundation course is a certificate that allows you to "get out into the field and start working safely and successfully, right away" (as quoted from the CND Academy folio booklet), so as long as you have passed the course and worked hard on perfecting your skills, I personally wouldnt let the fact that you only have this one certificate make you think that you're not good enough to embark on a career as a nail tech, we all have to start somewhere. I dont know if you have been told the same, but during my training, I have constantly been told that CND are there to support you after you complete your training, and that you can contact them for help at any time. I will certainly be taking up on this offer, in fact they'll probably be sick of hearing from me!

I personally wouldnt let the fact that you only have this one certificate make you think that you're not good enough to embark on a career as a nail tech, we all have to start somewhere. Yep you're right, we all do have to start somewhere, and that is exactly what the Foundation Course is about, (a start). Just don't presume that just that one course is going to set you up for life as a nail tech. There is so much more to learn. It's all about learning. Keep that in your head and you'll be ok.
I dont know if you have been told the same, but during my training, I have constantly been told that CND are there to support you after you complete your training, and that you can contact them for help at any time. Yep this is also true.
Good luck peeps!

How are ya'll finding the NSI courses, I am currently using NSI. But I live in Montana, USA and we don't have many available courses on ANYTHING here. I am always searching for more education as this is very important to me but was wondering how much I could get out of an online course. Anywho any advice would be fantabulous!

To be honest I would recommend getting a bit of salon experience before setting up your own business as a mobile tech.
Hi,
I just like to say im going mobile as from next week,i have applied to loads of salons ,got about 3 interviews,but have always been turnt down,i feel ive either been turnt down as im restricted to what hours i can do due to having a toddler at school,or because i havent worked in a salon before my speed would not be up to theres,and most of the salons i have applied for said i needed 2 yrs salon experience,how can i get salon experience if no one gives me the chance?That is why im going mobile,if theres anything im unsure about i will just bluff my way through and when i get home i will either contact my tuitor who trained me or of course raise a question with nail geek.May be other techs have had more luck getting into a salon but ive given up trying now.

Latest posts

Back