Is it cheating or just being clever?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmeliaR

Reaction score
i when to a christening today and 2 of my family friends had there nail done by one of there friends that was training and they did look good butt...

one of them was french but had a black smile line then went to white then had a black star on the end!
my first thought was ohh wow there really neat smile lines for someone that training and shes managed to do a black smile line then a white one!...

when i looked abit closer she had actually stuck a black tip on then on top of the black tip she had put a white tip with a star cut out of it, them used pop its for the L+P!

now to my thats bloody cheating!!
but really is she just been clever? hmmm

on my other friends nails she stuck on a white tip then put brush on glue just over the white tip then put glitter on it! so it also ad a perfect smile line! then put pop its over that!

again to me thats cheating?

if she is just training some one much have shown her these techniques well if you can call them that?
would these nails end up having service break down?

I've seen this before (tip over tip).
I've seen tutorials for this.

Frankly? it's senseless. And I don't imagine the enhancement (if we still want to call it that) will last that long. What sort of shape did they have? I'm thinking they must have been bulky.

It would make much more sense to learn to do a french properly AND much more cost effective.

As for cheating.... well, it's not an exam.
And we all find different 'tricks' of getting things done easier. Which is fine. My only issues with 'tricks' is if they: make for a weaker enhancements, poorly shaped enhancements, create nail plate damage, etc (choose any negative result you like).
BUT if the 'trick' gets the job done and results in a clean shape for the nail enhancement, there's no risk to the nail plate and it's strong enough... well.. hey, whatever works :green:

PS: once upon a time, before poppits came out, there were other 'forms' that didn't work quite as well. They got a bad rep and everyone hated them and thought it was cheating and this / that and the other.
NOW while I wouldn't piggy-back tips one on top of another... I am just pointing out that sometimes 'new ideas' can give birth to great ones (like Poppits)

Hi there,
I think cheating is a rather strong word. :) People who work with popits often use tips. Come to think about it a lot of nail techs in my area these days seem to use tips and then cap with acrylic does that mean in your eyes they are also cheating.:) I do prefer a sculptured nail myself but this takes more experience and when in training you are shown both methods.
It has been a while since I done a set of nails and I know things change but 2 tips on one nail doesn’t sound right to me no matter how well blended. Did they not look rather bulky?

I dont think a tip on top a tip is a good idea, too bulky for me.
But... why is it cheating using tips, coloured or white ? lots of techs think they are too white and fake looking but to me, if done correctly, nice and thin at the free edge balanced nicely etc, they look exactly the same as DD which everyone, including me, raves about !?

yes they were bulkie thats when i realised that it was two tip on top of each other! (and they also looked bad at the end as you could see the two tips) but there was on hardly any L+P on the end! i do very thin enhancements so to look natural but these literally had nothing on them!

i do like popits but i dont really use them often ive never had a client in and thought ohh popits would be really useful here! i like to sculpt as well but most of the time I'm rebalancing!

but then i suppose the people that had them on they just wanted a quick fix for a week and not long term enhancements!

i think tho if the girl that did them is training is she been showed this by her tutor? hmmm i dont think this is the best technique to teach people! i think its quite lazy in my eyes! x

So, is it lazy to use a paint roller rather than a brush? No, just a different way of applying paint?

Is it lazy to use a food processor rather than doing everything by hand? No just a helpful aid.

THINK How do PopIts help? By letting you conpete with the discount salons. Quick and easy for when you need it.

Don't be a snob. Hand made is hand made. PopIts help when you need it. Don't label them lazy or cheating. It's just another way.

Last edited:
i dint mean lazy about popits i ment bout using two tips on top of each other to create a look that i would have used liquid and coloured powder created the smile lines by hand. i do like popits think there a really good idea i just dont really use them! x

I don’t agree with using two tips:eek: but I don’t agree with the girl being lazy just inexperienced you did say she was in training after all.

I also don’t think she would have been shown how to do this by her trainer as training covers all the basics maybe she has just been playing around to see what she can come up with.

I do agree that using coloured acrylic to make this design would have been much better but to get two crisp smile lines on the one nail when your just learning, man I was lucky if I was happy with 2 out of all 10 when I was training.

And lastly you can rebalance with popits and no they are not just for one offs or one week. If you were trying to compete with salons spitting out sets of nails in 40 minutes you would think they were a god send.

Same as everyone else...I think the two tips thing is strange and wouldn't have thought about doing that! But...I think the 'cheat' with the glitter is fair enough really...if she's training so hasn't got her smile line perfect (I know I haven't!) and she wanted them to have nice nails for the christening, then that was her quick way.

Haven't used popits yet, but I certainly intend to try them. :)

I think the idea of a line of glue with glitter sprinkled on is rather cool, as for the two tips, well I think it depends on how thin those tips were.
I have used popits and can asure you the nails are very strong. These nails dont sound like they would be that's easy to rebalance, I think if I was going to do this I'd take my e-file, debulk, and then file right down to the tip so I could snip it of, then shape and treat it like a reverse sculpt.
Or just take the whole thing of and start again with something different.
So long as the client wants it, is willing to pay for it and it lasts, what's the problem?

Just Reading this now, I am doing nails almost 7 years now and at the risk of sounding stupid wat are popits? I have never heard if them :(

check out the 'search', the tutorials section and youtube.
You will find TONNNNNNNES of info regards popits.
In a nutshell, they are 'molds' which are filled with L&P, pressed to the nail, and removed when the L&P has cured to result in 'perfectly' shaped enhancements that don't require finishing (unless you're like me and 'goof' or miscalculate how much L&P to put in LOL).

hth's

I like "nailnana's" videos. She does them with L&P and Gel.

Its clever. Athough I trained to do things the original way no one in my area wants to pay for them, they just want nails that look good and last at a reasonable price. As said when other salons are spitting sets out in no time it not only gives you chance to compete but produce better nails than they can without the filing. Dont see it as cheating, you still need to know what you are doing to get them right,see it as a chance to improve your skills and income. x:hug:

Latest posts

Back