Is it Gel? what is the difference?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lcollins

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Can anyone help here?

I have not been doing Gels for that long - I have now moved to Portugal from England, where I am getting quite a few people coming to me for infils while they are on holiday saying they have had Gel as overlays. :rolleyes: and when I get my little pot of gel out and start putting it on, they are amazed I am not mixing liquid and powder?

When I asked them what type of Gel they had before, they could not tell me because the containers the Techs used were not labelled! but they used liquid and powder. When I come to soak them off they seem to have the same consistancy as Acrylic would have when it is soaked off. When they are soaked off the smell is quite strong as well! :mad:

I only know Gel as what it looks like (Gel consistancy) Could someone please tell me the difference in (Gel - using Liquid and Powder) and (Gel - using what I only know as Gel!)

Not sure if it makes any difference, but some of them have said that the shops they went into were with Nail Techs that could not really speak English - even though they were in England!

Your comments would be much appreciated ;)

Thanks

Lynn :cool:

Hiya,

Gel is already pre mixed & never comes in a liquid & powder form. I have read many times that a lot of NSS salons apply L&P but tell their clients it is gel. I'm not 100% sure why they do this but I think it is so they can charge more (?). And sometimes they apply L&P with a gel top coat to make their clients think it is gel if they have asked for gel (?). The reason I say NSS is because you say they don't label the containers, which in England is one of the regulations of COSHH which they must follow. NSS's dont sanitise or disinfect either so maybe ask your clients about that. If you do a search you'll find out lots more info about NSS.

Jade x

[What are NSS salons?

Sue

sawasdee ka

This has been talked about a lot on beautytech board there are techs doing l&p with gel overlays .

From my records nss is non standard salon

poor sanitation possible use of mma poor training non licenced in usa .

Has nothing to do with prices the lower price salons are sometimes called nss by peple being nasty these are discount salons .

Hope this helps .

Mui from Thailand

suzie01895 said:
[What are NSS salons?

Sue
Here in the United Kingdom
NSS means non standard salon..............A Salon that does not conform to UK industry standards..................

1.Unlabled containers
2.Not conforming to strict health and safety regulation
3.Unsanitary conditions...not sanitising tools between clients
4.No record cards
5.No MSDS available
Just to mention a few

woohoo

welcome back ruth were you been???

Nailsinlondon1 said:
Here in the United Kingdom
NSS means non standard salon..............A Salon that does not conform to UK industry standards..................

1.Unlabled containers
2.Not conforming to strict health and safety regulation
3.Unsanitary conditions...not sanitising tools between clients
4.No record cards
5.No MSDS available
Just to mention a few
Ruth sawasdee ka

Can i have a copy or can you tell me where i can read the strict health and safty regulations thank you .

I think b4 most techs pour liquid into a dampen dish and take small amount of powder into a small container should we have the bottle of liquid on our table so everybody can see because my liquid and powder is safely locked away in a glass cabinet behind my table .

I understand the unsanitry condittions the web is full of teachings .

Thank you mui from Thailand

'

Sawasdee ka ruth

Looking at my notes i see that ruth does not do l&p because of westminster regulations i do not want this please i want the one that is for all of England .

I think b4 that uk techs are not liceneced not the same as america who do 350 hours of training and have to go to state board to get licence just some more notes .

I have friend who is in England she do short course is now doing nail she does no have any regulations from England about what she can or can not do only what she learn on course .

Thank you

Mui from Thailand

Little Angel said:
woohoo

welcome back ruth were you been???

sawasdee ka angel

For your information you need NO qaulifications to be a nail tech in the uk there are no strict rules and regulations for a girl if she wants to be a mobile tech tomorrow or go to work in a salon .

And if you went out today and asked 500 nail techs what msds means most of them would not know if you dont beleive me try .

I would like to see the rules for unlabled containers because the 5 nail salons that my friend has been to all had unlabled containers on there nail tables in uk so all 5 out of 5 are breaking or do not know about these rules .

When people make quotes about mma or nss they realy should speak what they know is true and the facts .

For icollins there is a company that has a system gel that you mix powder into if you go to speak to the america techs they will tell you i did not write down the name of the company but there is long threads about this product on beautytech .

Thank you mui :rolleyes:

Hi

It could be Gelee by La Chat
Which is a gel method with a sprinkle powder on the gel then cured under UV

:rolleyes:

Pinkies! said:
Hiya,

Gel is already pre mixed & never comes in a liquid & powder form. I have read many times that a lot of NSS salons apply L&P but tell their clients it is gel. I'm not 100% sure why they do this but I think it is so they can charge more (?). And sometimes they apply L&P with a gel top coat to make their clients think it is gel if they have asked for gel (?). The reason I say NSS is because you say they don't label the containers, which in England is one of the regulations of COSHH which they must follow. NSS's dont sanitise or disinfect either so maybe ask your clients about that. If you do a search you'll find out lots more info about NSS.

Jade x

Thanks Jade,

That is all I need to know!

Noone else has made any more comments about anything different, that makes me feel confident to tell my clients exactly what you have said! :green:

cheers again :cool:

Lynn

mui said:
sawasdee ka angel

For your information you need NO qaulifications to be a nail tech in the uk there are no strict rules and regulations for a girl if she wants to be a mobile tech tomorrow or go to work in a salon .

When people make quotes about mma or nss they realy should speak what they know is true and the facts .

Thank you mui :rolleyes:

sawadee ka mui

FOR YOUR information their is an NVQ just for nails that comes into force in Sept 04. Some areas of England already require you to have a "licence".
If you read my quote i was welcoming ruthie back to the board as she has been quiet for a while and i have missed her little quotes and great advice.
I made and have not made ANY incorrect remarks about MMA or NSS thank you very much... :twisted: :mad:

Angel sawasdee ka

I know you not make any remarks about anything like i said b4 you dont need any qualifications to do nail in England people go to learn because they want to .

Sept 04 is not now when the licence comes if it comes in sept 04 i will change my notes .

If you read icollins first post you will see that she had customers come to her for infill but then when she soak off the nails they smell what were ladys doing soaking off when they go for infill .

Yes sometimes i do not understand what some people speak but i know 1 thing since come look internet about nail a lot of talk about mma and nss is spoken with a false tongue and i am still awaiting the strict rules and regulations i want to copy them .

You have a gel company that uses a liquid gel and powder that is now in some eyes nss it is wrong its like the l& p with gel over lay was nss but after when customers want and is nice nail and shine and othe ladys start to do is not nss anymore .

Re sanitation we believe it is better to use new files and blocks for each customer so we do not disinfect any files they go in dustbin we learn this from anna in toronto she does same .

Thank you mui from Thailand :) :) :) :) :)

There will be an NVQ for Nails that you can take in '04. It does not come into "force."

However it will make no difference to the legalities of operating a nails business and it will be no gaurantee of quality or commerciality whatsoever. Especially the way the course is angled.

The licensing that occurs in the UK occurs (as far as I am aware ) only in the London Boroughs and it is totally unique to them and is no badge of quality whatsoever. Merely a throwback to the ancient origins of how London has been regulated generally.

....and I know of an number of NSS salons operated with a licence and relevant NVQ's........

Better to spend all this "money" on educating the consumers to excercise their right of choice.....which will soon close these salons down.

Little Angel said:
sawadee ka mui

FOR YOUR information their is an NVQ just for nails that comes into force in Sept 04. Some areas of England already require you to have a "licence".
If you read my quote i was welcoming ruthie back to the board as she has been quiet for a while and i have missed her little quotes and great advice.
I made and have not made ANY incorrect remarks about MMA or NSS thank you very much... :twisted: :mad:

Hi
Just to clear up..... :rolleyes: Gelee by La Chat IS NOT NSS and does not contain MMA

Bye

nonacrylicgel said:
There will be an NVQ for Nails that you can take in '04. It does not come into "force."

However it will make no difference to the legalities of operating a nails business and it will be no gaurantee of quality or commerciality whatsoever. Especially the way the course is angled.

The licensing that occurs in the UK occurs (as far as I am aware ) only in the London Boroughs and it is totally unique to them and is no badge of quality whatsoever. Merely a throwback to the ancient origins of how London has been regulated generally.

....and I know of an number of NSS salons operated with a licence and relevant NVQ's........

Better to spend all this "money" on educating the consumers to excercise their right of choice.....which will soon close these salons down.

Hi,
What unit will the NVQ be, because I've just started the unit 309, is this what your'e talking about.you have got me worried that the unit I'm doing will be out of date....Help!
Amanda

nonacrylicgel said:

Maybe i used the wrong word with into force. But as i understood it from a few articles i have read the industry as a whole is pushing for some kind of licensing.
I think the NVQ will be a good thing. It will give students the opportunity to learn all three systems and not just ONE product. There are some good college tutors out there.

mui said:
Ruth sawasdee ka

Can i have a copy or can you tell me where i can read the strict health and safty regulations thank you .
Here is a copy of the COSHH regulations published on the Desinger Nails Website.... www.designernails.com then go to the NVQ link, this gives you the necessary information regarding the UK.

These regulations are only for the United Kingdom and not the rest of the world. I only know about the rules and regulations for the UK.

Every Country has their own rules and regulations where health and safety , licensing and COSHH is concerend.......if you want to find out about other countrys then maybe our geeks from the rest of the world can help you here..

This is the british/ UK government ruling for COSHH...............

C.O.S.H.H. (Control of Substances Hazardous to Health) 1989
C.O.S.H.H. is a list of general rules of safe practices to employ when using chemical substances. It is important for nail technicians to be aware of these rules, as just like hairdressers and beauty therapists, they are using chemical substances every day in the course of their work.
Important Rules of C.O.S.H.H.:
¢ Read all labels and follow all instructions
¢ Know the hazardous warning symbols
¢ Use protective clothing if required (safety glasses, masks, gloves etc.)
¢ Store products safely and in accordance with Safety Data Sheets
¢ Be aware of First Aid procedures required for accidental spillage or ingestion of potentially hazardous products on yourself or your clients
¢ Never mix chemical substances together, which were never designed to be mixed together. Mixing can cause injury or death!
¢ If dispensing chemicals into containers, make sure they are clean and labelled clearly
¢ Report any faulty equipment or goods to your supervisor or supplier immediately.
¢ Develop safe and clean working habits in the salon
¢ Follow rules for safe disposal of chemical waste
How to implement C.O.S.H.H rules in the salon/work place
¢ All waste should be disposed of in a metal bin. This will reduce vapour and odour immediately.
¢ Keep Dappen dishes covered whenever they are not in use. This will control vapours and odour as well as reduce evaporation and contamination of product, and keep it fresh.
¢ Use local extraction/ventilation to control dust and vapours at the table
¢ Keep MSDS (Material safety data sheets) on all products for reference
¢ Keep bottles and containers tightly capped
¢ Store chemical liquids in a cool environment to reduce risk of evaporation and deterioration for longer shelf life
¢ Never use a mixture of chemical products from different nail systems. All systems are specific and incompatible with each other.
¢ Read all labels and safe handling instructions
¢ Protect 'routes of entry'
1. Wash & dry hands before eating
2. Avoid skin contact with liquid monomers, gels, uncured product, solvents, etc.
3. No Smoking at the work-station (this includes clients)
4. Correct ventilation
¢ Do not work in gas permeable contact lenses
¢ Wear suitable clothing that is sensible and reflects your professionalism
¢ Keep all areas of the salon and the work station clean and tidy at all times
-------------------------------
In the nail industry we have body contact between ourselves and our clients and as such, our clients have the right to know that we keep a good standard of hygiene. Besides the washing of hands, surfaces and implements should be constantly looked after.
Each salon should display a notice warning clients that in receiving a treatment they are not knowingly suffering from any transferable disease or infection.
Treatment forms should be signed by the client and the technician at the end of each treatment to say that the client and the technician are both happy and agreeable on the outcome and that aftercare advise has been given and agreed.
It is a legal requirement from insurers and licensing inspectors that records must be kept of time/date/nature of treatment and the technician's name. Aftercare advice is best given in the form of a printed leaflet so that a client cannot say, "I forgot."
-----------------------------

Check with your local Health & Safety Officer if you are in any doubt about any byelaws affecting your salon. Remember, they can visit at any time and ask to see Material Safety Data Sheets.
Check with your supplier or manufacturer on the safe handling and storage procedures for products.
Remember it is ultimately YOUR responsibility to ensure your client's and your staff's safety and well-being.
-----------------------------------

Mui said:
Looking at my notes i see that ruth does not do l&p because of westminster regulations i do not want this please i want the one that is for all of England .
I am not regulated by Westminster Council, I have to abide by The City of London Council Regulations.............London is a big city with lots of different districts, they are known as boroughs........ and every borough has rules with different bylaws only applying to them, and not other boroughs or districts......
So other districts may have added points for health and safety and licensing bylaws..............
It is called local government rules and regulation and bylaws...........

But the main COSHH regulation has to be followed by anyone working here in the United Kingdom....and should be followed strictly...........thats what we mean when we say ......strict COSHH and Health and Safety regulations.......
These regulations also state that you have to be insured as a Nail Technician..........The only way to get insurance here in the UK is, if you have a recognised Nail Technicians certificate or Educational relevant certificate or Diploma.........So any Technician that doesn't have valid insurance is braking the law.............

Ones a Nail Technician is qualified here in the UK and wants to work, they have to consult their own local area Council licensing and Health and Safety department to find out what is requiered, so that they can comply with their own local district/borough laws...........

As for me, COSHH and Health and Safety, will not let me use L&P in my Salon because of the air exchange in my Salon...........
But I am allowed by COSHH and City Council to use Fibreglass and Gel......
But I offer L&P from home and this has been COSHH and Health and Safety approved and I am also fully insured to do this........
HTH

OK - lets's clear up a few things...
Mui - Most teks do NOT have their 8oz liquids, 4oz powders etc on their desks - they have dappen dishes with lids that hold enough liquid for each client, and sometimes (at least with CND teks) they use their 8/10oz powder pots on their tables (because they are small) or some even have pretty pink and white pots to hold those coloured powders accordingly!!

You are right- there is now far too much talk of Non Standard Salons and MMA and people using these terms incorrectly :rolleyes: - I personally am tried of it. I know that in certain areas, people are having problems with other salons opening up and charging low prices HOWEVER - NO ONE can say they use MMA until they go in and test the damn liquid to ABSOLUTLEY make sure!!! As I have said before - we have plenty of customers who are 'Asian' whether it be Chinese, Vietnamese, Phillipino - I have no idea actually BUT they use CND and just because they are Asian does NOT make them MMA users. The problem is that in certain areas of the UK, it appears that it is Asian people who are opening up salons and charging a lot less for a fast service. This can come with problems as we know!!

The fact is, again we should be concentrating on our own businesses and stop concentrating on others - everytime we take our eye off the ball, other salons reap the benefits - LETS NOT FORGET THAT!! Let's get on with what we have to do to make our businesses the best!!

Pheeewww - Now - regarding the NVQ, there ARE things happening that I have been asked not to discuss as yet. I will (unbelievable I know) agree with NAG (ha ha ha) in the fact that JUST because the NVQ will change for the better - DOES NOT guarentee better teks - it totally depends on who is teaching the course and what the tek themselves wants to get out of it!! We will still have the problems that we currently have and that is why I for one, am glad that we have ALWAYS invested in education as the MOST important aspect of our business!! NVQ is positive and there are certain people within our industry who have bent over backwards to improve standards BUT there is still a hell-of-a-lot of work to be done - especially with the college trainers themselves - NOT ALL but the majority!

OK- I have said my piece - slam me if you want to!!! :rolleyes:

Mrs Geek said:
The fact is, again we should be concentrating on our own businesses and stop concentrating on others - everytime we take our eye off the ball, other salons reap the benefits - LETS NOT FORGET THAT!! Let's get on with what we have to do to make our businesses the best!!

Great advice mrs geek!!! :green: ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back