Is it inappropriate to put pictures of your work on CV?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Holly_

Reaction score
Just updating my CV and have recently become more known for my nail art, is it appropriate to add a picture of my work to my CV?

Just wondered if it would maybe make me stand out a little bit?

Would love to know what your thoughts are!

xx :green:

Hi Holly_ I always think that c.v's are about us personally. Straight away I would think think no, but really thinking about it, why not add a link to your website or social media page where they can then see your work for themselves? X

I would go for it. It would certainly make you stand out xx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Anything that makes you stand out from the rest - absolutely. I have yet to witness any CV's having little snippets of work on them. If they did and they were good - I would see the person immediately. You really have nothing to think about apart from what pictures you wish to put on your CV ( maybe just two or three - and I don't mean pages) - I wish there were more conscientious and thoughtful potential employees out there.

Personally, Idon't think this is what your CV is for. Photographs of your work are for your professional portfolio.

Sell your skills, passion and qualifications in your CV and then present your portfolio if and when asked for it.

Just IMHO.

I am a very visual person. Also I would be interested primarily in what you can do in a creative skill such as nails or make up for example, not what you say you can do.

If I received 5 CV's and one had several pictures of work and it was excellent, that would definitely stand out. That's just me personally so be prepared that for some it might not be appropriate. Do what you feel comfortable with.

I would not include a whole portfolio but include information of how to view more work, ie website and I would also ensure that photos are of an excellent quality, watermarked and professional.

If you don't feel comfortable to include photos of your work for whatever reason then I would certainly include a business card with full details of website.

I hope this helps! x

Personally, Idon't think this is what your CV is for. Photographs of your work are for your professional portfolio.

Sell your skills, passion and qualifications in your CV and then present your portfolio if and when asked for it.

Just IMHO.

Surely if you don't get through the CV sifting (so to speak) you wouldn't even have the chance to present your portfolio. Not a chance I would take if actively seeking employment.

Surely if you don't get through the CV sifting (so to speak) you wouldn't even have the chance to present your portfolio. Not a chance I would take if actively seeking employment.
You could make reference to your portfolio in your CV as in 'Porfolio available on request' but no, I would not recommend adding in to the CV.

Whilst in no way insinuating that the OP's portfolio is not her own work and I have no doubt it is, a few pictures/photographs/sketches etc... in any CV are no proof that they actually belong to a yet unnamed face prior to interview. Even if a potential employee presents a portfolio at an interview, photographic examples of work could still have been plagiarised or photoshopped. It is not uncommon for people to pass off other people's work as their own.

In my opinion, if an employer asks for a CV, then this is what should be sent in.

I am sure other people will have differing views on this but this is my response to the OP's question.

I think it's a great idea. If it makes you stand out from the crowd then it's all good. I've seen CV's where a photo of the author is on the front. I'd certainly go for it!

I think it's a great idea. If it makes you stand out from the crowd then it's all good. I've seen CV's where a photo of the author is on the front. I'd certainly go for it!

I think many potential employers get turned off the CVs with photos, (the ones with morals) because the author 'assumes' they could improve their chances based on their looks. Every one of my classes in business pointed out that pictures can signal narcissistic nature

In certain countries it's the norm to have a photo on your CV plus a copy of hand writing and a selection of pictures that showcase the work that you do.

Maybe just attach some separate paper with photos on (good quality photos) and say 'please see attached for examples of my work'
Just an idea :)

Laura xx

In certain countries it's the norm to have a photo on your CV plus a copy of hand writing and a selection of pictures that showcase the work that you do.

True, so I guess OP, you need to ask yourself if it's the norm where you live. In the US this is a BIG no no and it would be very unprofessional to attach any sort of picture to a resume. We would instead create a portfolio and put a link to it on the resume.

I think that if your CV is immaculately presented then it would be a great idea to include a pic.
It's a creative business, and I think this would demonstrate that you keep to the rules, yet still show individuality.

As a employer I would like to see picture's on a cv, we are currently looking for new staff member's and have had loads of dull boring cv's coming through the door. I would choose to look at a cv with picture's rather than a plain text one. One girl came in to give me her cv and instantly liked her so invited her for a interview straight away ,Just looking at her cv did not sell herself at all tho

Wow just seen all these replies! Thanks for your opinions :) I can see it from both angles to be honest!

I've spent a lot of time on my CV ensuring its immaculately presented, I'm not sure if I'd want to ruin it by turning a potential employer off, but then as others have said it may just give me the edge...obviously any pictures used would be watermarked and high quality!

So I'm officially still on the fence for this one! For now I'll leave it as it is I think xx

Latest posts

Back